Apple iPhone 11 Review & Comments

They still haven’t got that ugly chunk out of the screen...

Which puts it forever off my want list.

The rest looks like the usual apple. Impressive, fast and a great camera. Average screen.

The rest looks like the usual apple. Impressive, fast and a great camera. Average screen.
You've got your 'usual Apple' all wrong. As usually they have average cameras and excellent displays. And their OLED panels are sourced from Samsung at great expense. The 11 is significant as it finally has a camera system that matches or surpasses anything else. And the display is once again rated as the best you can get. Until the next Samsung, and so on.

With this generation Apple have left Samsung more than a generation behind. In any benchmark you Care to use the latest Samsung can’t even match the iPhone 10.

I now have the 11Pro Max, and the biggest shortcoming, battery life,has finally been addressed - I’m now getting 2 days use on a single charge :clap:

The new triple camera looks a bit dodgy, but in use the image quality is absolutely superb, and with the ios13 software improvements is a genuine pocket shooter. Less and less reason to carry my rx100 around.

Yes, which blows android into the weeds in my experience. Android is a clunky mess. I have to use it on my Sony TV and it’s shocking!

You've got your 'usual Apple' all wrong. As usually they have average cameras and excellent displays. And their OLED panels are sourced from Samsung at great expense. The 11 is significant as it finally has a camera system that matches or surpasses anything else. And the display is once again rated as the best you can get. Until the next Samsung, and so on.

My brothers Samsung 10s screen just whips my nephews X screen.

Despite fiddling about to get the iPhone to show as great a colour depth. I just couldn’t do it.

I’m sticking with my 7+ in any case. If next years 5G is impressive, and I’m sure it will be, then I’ll consider the iPhone 12, or perhaps 13 to allow the 5G bugs to be squashed.

I used to be an all things Apple fanboy of immense proportion. But now it’s all a bit meh...

Having said that, I’d quite like an iPad Pro 12.9. But £1300 for half a TB...

Pork that alas...

The iPhone displays are usually more accurate and less vivid than Samsung's by default. So they'd look quite different side by side. At least with the Samsung you can choose a more accurate mode. With the iPhone, you do as your told. But as you say, it's all a bit meh. And the pricing is outrageous now. I used to buy a new flagship every 6 months. See little point over the last couple of years.

Ludicrous to compare android TV to android on a phone.

Not at all. It sucks on both :D

iOS will always be superior as Apple get to design both hardware and software to ensure they get the best solution.

iPhones are calibrated to be very accurate, which also means neutral. Not to everyone’s taste. For photo work it’s ideal though.

iOS will always be superior as Apple get to design both hardware and software to ensure they get the best solution.

Try Android on a Google Pixel device, no bloatware, no dodgy skinning of the base operating system. It's a joy to use, if joy can be applied to tapping away on a phone.

Base Android's is excellent, spoiled by some overly skinned flavours out there.

KH

Try Android on a Google Pixel device, no bloatware, no dodgy skinning of the base operating system. It's a joy to use, if joy can be applied to tapping away on a phone.

Base Android's is excellent, spoiled by some overly skinned flavours out there.

KH

Should I ever rid myself of the Apple disease I think that’s where I’ll be heading.

Except for laptops naturally; I’d never touch windows again.

Even with someone else’s

Yes, which blows android into the weeds in my experience. Android is a clunky mess. I have to use it on my Sony TV and it’s shocking!

I just can't quite match what you have said to my current experience of Samsung Note 10 Plus 5G. No issues whats ok ever. Very smooth and fast. I have mot had one freezing, sluggishness, so I would suggest a more balanced comment.

IOS also feels fast and smooth, but the whole operating system feels like it is aimed at my 8 year old daughter. It just feels crippled without advanced functions.

Should I ever rid myself of the Apple disease I think that’s where I’ll be heading.

Except for laptops naturally; I’d never touch windows again.

Even with someone else’s

I thought that too, until I see al these comments about the google pixel 3 starting to freeze/stutter after a few months usage, and apps in the background restarting once you go back to them, even when youve only got 2/3 open. Put me right off!

I’ll stick with my iPhone that just works perfectly everyday without lag and stutter

Balanced like ‘aimed at my 8 year old daughter’ :p

I’m sure as an android user it feels fast but if you read any objective reviews online the gap between android and iOS appears to be widening. Which is no surprise as Samsung just don’t have the low level access to android to optimise the OS for their hardware in the same way Apple do. So they have both slower cpu and gpu, as well as less optimised code to run on it.

However, my issue isn’t with android performance per se, I just find it clunky to use. It’s just a personal preference like Windows and MacOS. Each to their own.

The beauty of iOS and even more so now with iPadOS Is they are perfectly tailored to the needs of the device. No superfluous options or bloat. IPadOS on a gen3 Pro is pretty much mobile perfection now :thumbsup:

Balanced like ‘aimed at my 8 year old daughter’ :p

I’m sure as an android user it feels fast but if you read any objective reviews online the gap between android and iOS appears to be widening. Which is no surprise as Samsung just don’t have the low level access to android to optimise the OS for their hardware in the same way Apple do. So they have both slower cpu and gpu, as well as less optimised code you run on it.

However, my issue isn’t with android performance per se, I just find it clunky to use. It’s just a personal preference like windows and MacOS. Each to their own.

The beauty of iOS and even more so now with iPadOS Is they are perfectly tailored to the needs of the device. No superfluous options or bloat.

Indeed.

Last time I dipped into Android was on the Galaxy S7, I liked the hardware etc but as you said it feels clunky compared to IOS, I found that a task on IOS that took 1/2 taps, would take 4/5 taps on Android. And there’s stupid amounts of menus, why? The iPhone doesn’t have that many yet it can still do the exact same tasks that the Android device can do.

I almost went with a Huawei P30 Pro for the camera but just couldn’t get past Android. Trump might have done them a massive favour by forcing them to develop their own alternative mobile OS.

I almost went with a Huawei P30 Pro for the camera but just couldn’t get past Android. Trump might have done them a massive favour by forcing them to develop their own alternative mobile OS.

yeah fantastic cameras, but again there’s another problem, how long will Huawei provide software updates for it? That’s my other issue with none iOS phones! At least we have software updates for a good 4-5 years, and at the exact time that people with new iPhones get them.

With this generation Apple have left Samsung more than a generation behind. In any benchmark you Care to use the latest Samsung can’t even match the iPhone 10.

Really? I'm glad you're happy with your new phone but that's a bit of a stretch. Benchmarks are pretty meaningless now for phones. All that matters is how quick if feels to use.
Also the screen in your phone is made by Samsung and their phone screens have consistently rated the best around for a few years. With the exception that Sammy don't have the big notch.
Apple make great phones, no doubt about that, but Samsung being 'a generation behind' is a bit daft. (I don't have either Samsung or apple BTW)

It’s not ‘daft’ it’s just a fact - so rather than subjective waffle, look at the available objective data and you’ll see just how behind Samsung are in CPU and GPU performance. As Samsung’s current best phone lags the iPhone XS, then that is a generational gap is it not?

As to meaningless, well no, not really. Phones are increasingly using ML, particularly for image processing and AR, and this is incredibly computationally demanding - hence the new way Apple are using ‘big/little’ multi-core designs to balance performance per watt against outright performance and offloading to ML specific units.

I personally don’t care about who makes my handset, I just buy the best of each generation. For a while Samsung hardware was ahead but in the latest 18 months they’ve fallen well behind.

It’s not ‘daft’ it’s just a fact - so rather than subjective waffle, look at the available objective data and you’ll see just how behind Samsung are in CPU and GPU performance. As Samsung’s current best phone lags the iPhone XS, then that is a generational gap is it not?

As to meaningless, well no, not really. Phones are increasingly using ML, particularly for image processing and AR, and this is incredibly computationally demanding - hence the new way Apple are using ‘big/little’ multi-core designs to balance performance per watt against outright performance and offloading to ML specific units.

I personally don’t care about who makes my handset, I just buy the best of each generation. For a while Samsung hardware was ahead but in the latest 18 months they’ve fallen well behind.

Well you clearly do care who makes that handset as you've made it very clear in this thread you prefer apple. And that's fine, my partner does too, as do many of my friends.
I use a Huawei mate 20 pro, it's super quick in any task I care to use it for. And that's the point - it's 'objectively' much faster than my previous One Plus 5 in benchmarks but I don't really notice that in everyday use because its a phone. I use it like 90% of people do (have no facts to back that number up, seems reasonable though) - Internet usage, some light gaming, music, social media and taking pics.
So I stand by my point that calling out benchmark results for phones these days is a bit daft, especially at the high end, as they're all generally more than powerful enough to do the things the vast majority of users will need them to do.
You also side stepped the points about the screen but let's move on.

Last edited:
You've got your 'usual Apple' all wrong. As usually they have average cameras
What? iPhones have always had great cameras. And the best video recording on a smartphone to go with it.

I'm an apple man to the core - pun intended - but the elephant in the room for me with this model is the lack of 5G - not because I have 5G available where I live at the moment, I dont as I imagine a lot of us dont. But, this shouldn't be too far away, 12 - 24 months? Would that not kill the resale value on this pre-5G model? I'm still ticking along with a 6s - would love an upgrade and been waiting until the killer feature arrives but still waiting...

Just a thought... :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom