Apple iPhone 12 Review & Comments

There will be some people that are moving from android to an iPhone that won't be able to charge their new phone. Not millions of people of course, but quite a few. Unless you have a very recent android flagship you won't have a USB C power brick, and if you're switching then you won't have a lightning cable. Obviously the money isn't the issue, but it would be annoying to have no way to charge your shiny new iPhone until you buy the right accessory.

Can android users not read spec sheets? Are they choosing to buy the new iPhone without researching or watching the Apple event?

Why would anyone choose to order a phone without doing any of those things? Only a complete idiot would purchase a phone and have no way to charge it at the point of receiving it. Just place an order for both items at the same time.

And then, next year, when it’s time to upgrade, they’ll have a USB C charger for their next phone.

I don't think someone is an idiot for assuming a smartphone will include a charger. Until now they always have ☺️

I don't think someone is an idiot for assuming a smartphone will include a charger. Until now they always have ☺
Although its been widely reported it wasnt coming with one so whilst they may not be an idiot it shouldnt be that much of a shock. Also doesnt it show whats in the box when running through the order? Been a while since i ordered one.

Also we are now cutting down to a minority as a reason to have a pick at this no charger issue. The folk that switch from Android to Apple who havent had a decent Android phone over the last few years....how many folk will that actually be?

I don't think someone is an idiot for assuming a smartphone will include a charger. Until now they always have ☺
I think that anyone spending £700 on a smartphone (or anything else for that matter) without knowing the spec or what it is they are spending their cash on is a grade A fool.

MKBHD's iPhone 12 review is up:

For those interested in the MagSafe wireless charger, it doesn't come with a USB-C power adapter.

I think that anyone spending £700 on a smartphone (or anything else for that matter) without knowing the spec or what it is they are spending their cash on is a grade A fool.
100% correct. I suspect none of those complaining about this on here will ever buy an iPhone 12 anyway.

I’ve had my iPhone 12 two days now and upgraded from a 8 Plus. In all honesty I’m struggling to see much difference between the two.

I also have an 8 Plus. It is working perfectly well, so no hurry to upgrade.

I think really this is where many people are now, the phones get modestly better each year and upgraded when you need one.

My 8 Plus is still valued at over £200 so it has cost me just over £500 in 3 years, I got £50 off on Black Friday. Considering the use a phone gets less than £200 a year is not bad. I wouldn't pay the premium for an iPhone Pro however.

Considering your comment that you cannot see much difference versus an 8, the conclusion in the review seems somewhat hyperbolic-

"Overall, I think this is the biggest upgrade Apple yet in an iPhone, and puts the iPhone 12 among the leading-edge smartphones"

Is it really a bigger upgrade than the 3G iPhone, or the larger screens in the 5 and 6? Also the incremental processor speed increases have been getting steadily smaller. It seems like the processor is 20% faster than the 11, probably what you would expect. The 6s was over 70% faster than the 6.

There are a lot of changes from an 8, but not an 11 which is what the review is referring to. I just don't see much hurry to upgrade.

So in my view an expected yearly improvement at the expected price and a very solid phone.

Letting myself get drawn into the charger debate, but really everyone has loads of chargers and it is not a big deal, some people can buy one of they need one. I would however, prefer if they changed to USB-C so that finally everything could use one charger and cable.

Last edited:
I’ve had my iPhone 12 two days now and upgraded from a 8 Plus. In all honesty I’m struggling to see much difference between the two.
Aside from the bigger screen, OLED not LCD, all screen with Face ID instead of thick bezels and a home button?

Aside from the bigger screen, OLED not LCD, all screen with Face ID instead of thick bezels and a home button?

Well of course there are differences in the phones but I didn't mean that. I meant in actual use. I can't really tell the difference in the screens tbh, maybe that's my eyesight. The 8 Plus was a bit bigger and heavier but in everyday use the are pretty much identical. Same iOS after all. So it's not a huge leap in a user experience for me personally. I can't really see what someone with Face ID on an older model would get from it, unless they are maybe really into photography and buy the Pro Max.

It's taking me a while to get use to Face ID too, it doesn't work with masks obviously so back to using a pin code which is a pain or lifting mask. I would prefer touch and face ID together. Don't like there's no battery percentage indicator on main screen either and unless I've not worked out how to do it, I can't dismiss reminders from front screen anymore, before I would click and hold and could mark it as completed, now it asks you to unlock the phone. I'm sure I will get used to it, just a bit meh for me.

Last edited:
I don't think that many people have a charger with USBC from the brick. The included cable is USBC to lightning.
But you don’t need to use it, a lightning to USB A cable works in exactly the same way as with previous versions of the iphone, you just don’t get the benefit of rapid charging from USB C.

It should be a crime to charge a phone with a 5w power adapter in 2020.

But you don’t need to use it, a lightning to USB A cable works in exactly the same way as with previous versions of the iphone, you just don’t get the benefit of rapid charging from USB C.
Like I said, on more than one occasion, if you're coming from android you wouldn't have a lightning cable. Obviously this is only an issue for a small number of people.
And there's nothing rapid about 15w charging.

Like I said, on more than one occasion, if you're coming from android you wouldn't have a lightning cable. Obviously this is only an issue for a small number of people.
And there's nothing rapid about 15w charging.
And if you’re coming from Android you should have researched the overall cost to change, and what new equipment you’ll require to do so. Same as with any other large purchase.

And if you’re coming from Android you should have researched the overall cost to change, and what new equipment you’ll require to do so. Same as with any other large purchase.
Chargers have always come with phones so it would be a fair assumption that this would be no different to the average consumer that might want to jump ship to an iPhone.

I remember getting stung when I switched from Samsung QLED to LG Oled and being stunned to find you had to supply your own remote and power cable

Chargers have always come with phones so it would be a fair assumption that this would be no different to the average consumer that might want to jump ship to an iPhone.
To be fair to Apple on the ordering page it shows on the page as you work your way down a big section clearly titled "Whats in the Box" showing just the phone and the cable. If you are spending what you are spending on an iPhone then you would hope that folk read whats in front of them!!

IntheBox.jpg

To be fair to Apple on the ordering page it shows on the page as you work your way down a big section clearly titled "Whats in the Box" showing just the phone and the cable. If you are spending what you are spending on an iPhone then you would hope that folk read whats in front of them!!

View attachment 1389668
Fair enough, I'm not really that fussed. I just said that there might be some people that won't be able to charge their new phone. I'm sure that will be the case, but it's not the end of the world.

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

If people are too lazy, or too stupid to research what they are spending hundreds if not thousands of pounds on, then the fault is theirs.

Apple have made it clear in their announcement and on their website that the latest phones do not come with plugs.

I have zero sympathy and the blame lies entirely with the purchaser IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom