Apple TV 4 Owners Thread - Now with App Store, Siri and tvOS

Note spec of :

Hdmi 1.4, does this mean 4k as future upgrade
Audio 7.1 DD, is this same as bluray HD audio

Hdmi 1.4, does this mean 4k as future upgrade
4K @50/60fps requires HDMI2.0 which is a hardware upgrade. So a new box is likely to be required to make it full 4K compatible.
Audio 7.1 DD, is this same as bluray HD audio
No just plain Dolby Digital, ie same as on DVD by the looks of it.

Mark.

Very surprised there's no 4K support with this new updated box. If Apple want to take the TV box market by storm they need to think high specifications! Plenty of people now getting 4K screens and they need to cater to them just as much as those of us still enjoying 2K. I wonder if they whole gaming element stopped them going 4K. The A8 processor's probably not up to 4K gaming.....

So basically what they have done is wacked the iphone 6 processor and graphics set into an Apple TV case and added a new App store and improved remote control. Hardly ground breaking stuff.

Now I'm am interested in the extra functionality of new apps. I have ATV3 with the PlexConnect hack and it's good. But like the idea that the new remote and Siri functionality will be able to search through a properly pubished Plex app's content as well as Apple's own library. Just hope it won't keep throwing up results to buy things in iTunes over apps like Plex. Also might finally get some native iPlayer, ITV, Channel 4 apps etc. Apples coverage of UK catch up apps for ATV so far had been truly terrible. Yes we can push it from our iphones or ipads. But why should we have to??

Last edited:
4K @50/60fps requires HDMI2.0 which is a hardware upgrade. So a new box is likely to be required to make it full 4K compatible.

No just plain Dolby Digital, ie same as on DVD by the looks of it.

Mark.

Definitely not 4k content by the looks of it but just a quick pointer.. It obviously isn't capable of HD audio, (more to the point what ISP could handle that kind of bandwidth in bulk either) but it at least now has Dolby Digital PLUS 7.1 as a specification. DD can output at 640kb, DD+ can output at 6mb.. a third of what a BD with Dolby Digital HD outputs and a quarter of a DTS-HD track can peak at, but still at least a very real improvement. Whether that translates to actual DD Plus content on the iTunes Store being made available who knows.

Surprised there's no 4K support with this new updated box. If Apple want to take the TV box market by storm they need to think about those wanting the best from their 4K screens as well as us still happy with Full HD.

Basically what they have done is wacked an iphone 6 processor and graphics set into an Apple TV case and added a new App store and improved remote.

Now I'm interested in the extra functionality of new apps. I have ATV3 with the PlexConnect hack and it's good. But like the idea that the new remote and Siri functionality will be able to search through a proper Plex app's content as well as Apple's own library. Just hope it won't keep throwing up results to buy things in iTunes over apps like Plex.

Hopefully we'll actually see basic things like native iplayer support or Amazon Prime for starters. One box, a usable universal search and wishlist/watchlist function that's kept updated across the major players is all I want.

Last edited:
Arrgghhh!! Just looked at tech spec and it's still a rubbish 10/100 network connector!! Come on Apple, gigabit has been the standard for years now. Stop being so tight with the specifications!!

It seems especially stupid to have Wifi that now out classes the wired capability. Almost all of these TV boxes seem to have 10/100 ports. Yes for a lot of things you don't need the extra bandwidth maybe. But for streaming high quality blu-ray rips etc from a home media server gigabit would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Apple TV has always been rubbish compared to the rival boxes out there.

Apple make a lot of great products but the Apple TV is not one of them. It's fine if you're happy living within Apples own ecosystem but if you want to stream HD local content then it's a poor choice.

Now it's an expensive poor choice.....

Looks like yet another hamstrung device from Apple. No optical out pretty much throws this out of immediate consideration for me. No 4K support for the future. I'm going to hazard a guess that there's no 1080p24 output either?

But hey, it supports "apps" because Apple have declared it to be the future. Good thing no other smart TV device has thought of that yet.

All that for $149 (read: £149) or more. Sounds like a right bargain. :rolleyes:

Arrgghhh!! Just looked at tech spec and it's still a rubbish 10/100 network connector!! Come on Apple, gigabit has been the standard for years now. Stop being so tight with the specifications!!

It seems especially stupid to have Wifi that now out classes the wired capability. Almost all of these TV boxes seem to have 10/100 ports. Yes for a lot of things you don't need the extra bandwidth maybe. But for streaming high quality blu-ray rips etc from a home media server gigabit would be very much appreciated.

You have to remember Apple seem to be on a universal push for no wires - just look at the latest MacBook...

You have to remember Apple seem to be on a universal push for no wires - just look at the latest MacBook...
Then why even include an ethernet port? 10/100MB is just shortsighted and saves them no money at all. Stupid decision.

Has nothing over the NVidia Shield TV (Which includes games controller and has 4K HDMI 2.0) which retails at a similar price.

No doubt Apple fans will flock to buy it!

I like the new screensavers and the fact that it has HDMI CEC.

Other cool things:

"Quickly bounce between apps.
Double-click the Home button on the remote and you’ll see the apps you’ve used most recently. So you can quickly switch from, say, SHOWTIME to MLB, or from an iTunes movie to the Rayman Adventures game you were playing, without having to go all the way back to the Home screen."

"Customize the Home screen.
Move your most-used apps to the top row of the Home screen for faster access. For example, add Netflix to your mix, and when the icon is selected, shortcuts to Netflix content appear above. Just click a title to start watching."

Apple TV - Experience - Apple

This isn't a mobile device though (no battery!) and will always have at least a power cable attached. My TV and BD player are both wi-fi capable, but I still prefer to have them hardwired to guarantee connectivity and throughput.

Hopefully we'll actually see basic things like native iplayer support or Amazon Prime for starters.
Sadly this is unlikely, and that is due to Amazon. Amazon are trying to push sales of their Fire TV Box and as soon as they began development on that, they stopped adding apps around the world to any competing device. (i.e. similar type of set-top-boxes).

Apple TV has always been rubbish compared to the rival boxes out there.
Always? Really. So, when the ATV2 with AirPlay was launched back in 2010, what were the vastly better alternatives? Roku? not available then in the UK, AFTV? Not invented back then... Granted, the ATV3 version has waited a long time for being updated and all the main competitors (AFTV and Roku basically) have superseded it in technology, but none had the amazing AirPlay. Even Chromecast today is not as useful as AirPlay because there are still more apps supporting AirPlay.

Apple make a lot of great products but the Apple TV is not one of them. It's fine if you're happy living within Apples own ecosystem but if you want to stream HD local content then it's a poor choice.
That whole "living in Apple's ecosystem" argument really doesn't fit here. The ATV3 worked perfectly well with other non-Apple services such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Now TV, etc and almost all global streaming services via AirPlay.

Sure, they didn't work well with other PAYG services, but a) who uses that these days and b) neither does the competition. If you want to watch Amazon Instant Videos on anything but Amazon boxes, you can't. If you want to watch Google Play movies on anything but Android, you can't. So why is Apple so different here?

Has nothing over the NVidia Shield TV (Which includes games controller and has 4K HDMI 2.0) which retails at a similar price.

No doubt Apple fans will flock to buy it!

Sure does... apps. Already at launch date the ATV4 will have more app support than Android TV, and I bet you within 6months the number of supported streaming services on the Apple TV will be so far greater than the Nvidia Shield TV that there won't be anything to actually compare. Since Android TV launched in the UK, how many new streaming apps have been added? Zero... not one. Android TV services absolutely zero major UK streaming services and it is the same in almost every other country except the US. Even there it supports less than the ATV4 has before that is even launched.

That gives it something "over the NVidia Shield TV".

Sure, it doesn't have 4K which is a pity, but then again, very very very few people will notice this here since a) very few people have a 4K TV yet and b) no major streaming service supports 4K yet (Sorry, Netflix only supports 4K on Smart TV hubs and has very few titles and Prime won't appear on anything that competes with their AFTV).

Still... I think they should have put 4K in there.

Still won't buy it. Apple nowadays is pretty much last years tech at next years prices! :)

I couldn't agree more with you ovbg. Also, the supposed walled garden of the Apple TV is even less than people seem to realise. You can even watch Google Play purchased TV and film content directly from the YouTube app on the Apple TV's home screen!

As for Amazon Instant we'll have to wait and see. If they don't do an app for the Apple TV itself, then at least they've now mitigated that problem with decent HD AirPlay streaming via iOS now.

Also, why has everyone made such a fuss over lack of gigabit Ethernet?! It's a 1080p streaming box, it doesn't need more than a base 10/100mb connection for that purpose.

4k would have been "nice", but coming from a guy with a 4K TV at home I can say that what is available via Amazon Instant and Netflix in 4K is "underwhelming" to say the least. I've seen no evidence that the studios have enough 4K content ready to even put a dent in the current iTunes Store content. Bringing out and touting a box as 4K whilst then only being able to lead consumers to mostly 1080p content, would probably be more damaging than not delivering a 4K box at all.

Last edited:
4k would have been "nice", but coming from a guy with a 4K TV at home I can say that what is available via Amazon Instant and Netflix in 4K is "underwhelming" to say the least. I've seen no evidence that the studios have enough 4K content ready to even out a dent in the current iTunes Store content. Bringing out and touting a box as 4K whilst then only being able to lead consumers to mostly 1080p content, would probably be more damaging than not delivering a 4K box at all.
What if you want to stream that lovely 4K video you recorded on your shiny new iPhone 6s to your 4K TV?

What if you want to stream that lovely 4K video you recorded on your shiny new iPhone 6s to your 4K TV?

Which is why I said that yes it'd be "nice" in my last comment, but I'm acutely aware that there's very little studio content being made available right now in 4K for what is its primary purpose.

Also just to point out but Hdmi 1.4 is actually basic 4K compliant in itself, so it might be prudent to wait and see on that score.

Last edited:
The clue is highlighted.

Well I guess you don't buy a Hammer if you need a screwdriver..

But one question. Considering its main rival platforms are Android TV and Amazon Fire TV, why will the new Apple TV be any less capable of being used as a local content player than its main rivals?

Last edited:
It'll be the apps that make or break this device. Having the ATV3 and using it for mainly AirPlay/NetFlix/YouTube (I don't have a smart TV), I'm struggling to see a clear advantage in upgrading. However if the right apps come out that I will have genuine use for, I'll be all over it!

Hell, even the games for someone like me who plays for 20-30 minutes and then moves on to something else might be cool. Not sure about control but I'm sure it's easy to come up with a Bluetooth 4 D-pad. Plenty of time yet.

As for UHD, perhaps Apple are playing the waiting game as they so often do. Let everyone else make the mistakes and take the financial hit. Isn't that why Sky is holding back and watching BT?! Incredible pictures over your VDSL connection, just don't have a Skype video conversation or send distributed emails with 10MB attachments whilst you're watching.

Why didnt they shove the new A9X in it, as that can obviously cope with 4K.
Very poor .

I can only think that it gives Apple more scope for a genuine UHD box when they deem the market is ready in the future, providing a real step up in performance from this ATV.

That's probably Apple's plan - Release this version of the new Apple TV to get people hooked on the system, then when the time is right release a 4K box at an inflated price. Tbh I was expecting more from Apple, given the comments Steve Jobs made about figuring out how to do tv before he died.

The future of TV is apps? Funny but I thought half the smart TV's out there weren't even connected to Wifi.

I appreciate there are some who want to watch Netflix or whatever but I don't see Apple as any better than anything else around.

Customising the home screen, talking to the TV and all the other stuff I already have and never use.

https://www.npdgroupblog.com/intern...to-watch-tv-and-thats-about-all/#.VfKtaeSFOUn

The decision is not for want of application choice, but rather seems to be focused on how consumers are used to interacting with their TV. HDTVs, gaming consoles, Blu-ray Disc players, and other connected devices offer an array of applications, ranging from Twitter and Facebook to web browsing. But, in general, these have failed to resonate with the audience, not least because there are better platforms, such as the PC, tablet, or smartphone, for such services. The one saving grace to-date has been music services, where the location of the TV and the availability of key music streaming apps such as Pandora has driven reasonable consumer uptake (roughly 15 percent).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom