Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Got my 64gb coming 25th. 1st ATV.

Still planning on buying UHD Blu Rays, but for convenience of 4K and HDR it was too hard to resist.

Well that and NFL instead of streaming from phone to Chromecast

Last I heard it was fairly easy to get US itunes up and running on this? Got VPN and soon a VPN Wifi hub. While I'm sure content will come, I'm sure the US will trounce any other countries. Just hoping the studios have not gone all Netflix crazy with Apple.

You don’t even need a VPN for US iTunes, plays back fine.
You only need a VPN if your planning on using US video streaming apps.

You don’t even need a VPN for US iTunes, plays back fine.
You only need a VPN if your planning on using US video streaming apps.

Oh cool.

Won't waste asking, prob against the rules anyway. I'm sure Google can tell me how.

Oh cool.

Won't waste asking, prob against the rules anyway. I'm sure Google can tell me how.

It isn't illegal as long as you are paying for services that require you to pay for them. It is like importing a Blu-ray from the US that you cannot get here. You're not breaking the law by doing so. It only becomes a legal matter if you attempt to watch content you've not paid for for free and without paying for it.

Nope mine is still for 2/10. I might chance it on Friday.

[emoji848] I ordered mine Monday from Argos and I’ve had a text confirming delivery for this Friday.

[emoji848] I ordered mine Monday from Argos and I’ve had a text confirming delivery for this Friday.
I know :) I looked on Argos Monday and it was still available, yesterday it was gone....

I can wait....

Yup I love that Cheap Charts app, although it's not too good for the finances. My biggest bargain from Cheap Charts was all 9 seasons of 24 for £2.99 each, then not long after that the complete boxset went up for sale for £150.
I also wanted the 24 Redemption mini movie episode which had been £10.99 but I instead bought it from the boxset as a single episode for £2.49.

We could do with an iTunes bargain thread for Movies and TV!

4K section now showing in iTunes
IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

There are 73 available in that section, but something I have noticed there is an All 4K Films row which contains 11 films.
Now what exactly does this mean as I’m now wondering if the Dolby Vision & HDR titles will play back or not on a regular 4K TV.
I’m certainly not clued up on the technical side of things but I would’ve been under the impression that as long as you have a 4K TV minimum then all 4K content will play back fine but obviously without the HDR/Dolby Vision benefits, but now seeing a specific all 4K films section I’m left wondering what will actually happen if I try to play back a HDR or Dolby Vision Title on my TV.
I suppose if it couldn’t play for whatever reason then possibly just play the 1080p version instead??

Last edited:
Very nice - my AVR has just been upgraded to pass through Dolby Vision (and HLG) as confirmed using my Oppo. So happy days when the Apple TV arrives as I can switch everything via the AVR with a single cable to my OLED :)

View attachment 913420
View attachment 913421

There are 73 available in that section, but something I have noticed there is an All 4K Films row which contains 11 films.
Now what exactly does this mean as I’m now wondering if the Dolby Vision & HDR titles will play back or not on a regular 4K TV.
I’m certainly not clued up on the technical side of things but I would’ve been under the impression that as long as you have a 4K TV minimum then all 4K content will play back fine but obviously without the HDR/Dolby Vision benefits, but now seeing a specific all 4K films section I’m left wondering what will actually happen if I try to play back a HDR or Dolby Vision Title on my TV.
Not seeing it on my iPad. Was only a matter of time though before 4k had its own section.

Very nice - my AVR has just been upgraded to pass through Dolby Vision (and HLG) as confirmed using my Oppo. So happy days when the Apple TV arrives as I can switch everything via the AVR with a single cable to my OLED :)

My set up is similar. I have HDMI’s from Oppo, Sky and Apple TV to a Denon AVR 4200 and then one HDMI from the Denon to my OLED.

Not seeing it on my iPad. Was only a matter of time though before 4k had its own section.

I had to close the app then reopen it and then the 4K HDR appeared.

Just been through my UV codes with my Blu-rays and I now have 3 more 4K versions in iTunes [emoji16]

How do you reclaim UV codes in iTunes?

Some codes work directly through redeem code at the bottom of iTunes.
Some go through a link using the instructions on the code card.
I got
Alien
Logan
Star Trek Beyond
I also had Chronicle and Star Trek into the darkness but they are in Hd.

I also purchased Ghost in the Shell iTunes code off eBay for £2.30 [emoji16]

Some codes work directly through redeem code at the bottom of iTunes.
Some go through a link using the instructions on the code card.
I got
Alien
Logan
Star Trek Beyond
I also had Chronicle and Star Trek into the darkness but they are in Hd.

I also purchased Ghost in the Shell iTunes code off eBay for £2.30 [emoji16]

Are you getting confused between iTunes and Ultraviolet as they’re both different services.
If they are indeed Ultraviolet codes then that still begs the question as to how you actually got them to redeem in iTunes.
As you’ve mentioned Logan and Star Trek then I’d guess they’re iTunes codes rather than Ultraviolet.

My mistake I meant digital downloads, most of my codes were Ultraviolet that can be played through google play and Flixter video.
Some have the iTunes logo on the digital download cards.

I had to close the app then reopen it and then the 4K HDR appeared.
Turned iPad off and back on again and it’s there now.

I bought kingsman and it’s now saying HDR. it’s probably 4k but obviously iPad only supports HDR. Picture is fantastic.

Are you getting confused between iTunes and Ultraviolet as they’re both different services.
If they are indeed Ultraviolet codes then that still begs the question as to how you actually got them to redeem in iTunes.
As you’ve mentioned Logan and Star Trek then I’d guess they’re iTunes codes rather than Ultraviolet.

I’ve just had a look on eBay, and there does seem to be codes for UK iTunes movies, which I haven’t seen for years!

Choice seems limited, only found:

Jack Reacher 2
Ghost in the Shell
Star Trek Beyond

All can be had for less than £3 each. Hopefully these will be come more prevalent like in the US, and I can get some films I actually want to own

I’ve just had a look on eBay, and there does seem to be codes for UK iTunes movies, which I haven’t seen for years!

Choice seems limited, only found:

Jack Reacher 2
Ghost in the Shell
Star Trek Beyond

All can be had for less than £3 each. Hopefully these will be come more prevalent like in the US, and I can get some films I actually want to own

I get my codes from the US and put into a US account I created, massive bargains which mostly I buy for around £2-£4, the best was Fast & Furious 8 for 76p.
I get from
Ultraviolet Cinema
iTunes
iTunes HD

View attachment 913420
View attachment 913421

I suppose if it couldn’t play for whatever reason then possibly just play the 1080p version instead??

Ok so just check the US store and they’ve got a total 137 available with 24 in the 4K movies row.
Seems us Brit’s maybe being shafted once again, can allow a few that haven’t been released here yet ie Baby Driver & Wonder Women Buy there’s plenty still that don’t currently show as 4K in the UK store that are in the US store.

Last edited:
I get my codes from the US and put into a US account I created, massive bargains which mostly I buy for around £2-£4, the best was Fast & Furious 8 for 76p.
I get from
Ultraviolet Cinema
iTunes
iTunes HD

I looked in to this years ago, but just couldn’t be bothered changing accounts when I wanted to view the US movies.

I buy all my movies in the sale (thanks Cheap Charts) so I haven’t spent too much (I have, I’ve spent a f***ing fortune haha!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom