Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

How so? The Apple TV / TVOS is fine. The issue is with the Amazon Prime app so you should be complaining about Amazon’s failure to maintain it properly, not that I have anything to complain about myself with the things I have been watching on it recently.

yeah, I was just listing the iOS number has someone had asked. this is/will be an amazon thing I'm sure. it's just a bit of a pain, when something was working just fine then then just stops for no reason. apart from youtube 4k not being there (but coming soon), the Apple TV box has seen me fine.

Has anyone had any luck complaining to Amazon about the lack of UHD currently.

I’ve contacted them but they said it was the 1st time they had heard of it.

They’re probably having as much trouble as everyone else locating their UHD content :D
I am a stranger to Amazon and have dipped into it for the past week or so. I thought it was just me didn’t follow their system. For instance I am interested in watching Midway as it is included in Prime. But it’s only in HD 5.1, right? Whereas if I go to iTunes it’s in UHD Atmos for £4.49. The ATV version redirects me to Amazon. I think the Amazon logic is spreading to Apple.

I am a stranger to Amazon and have dipped into it for the past week or so. I thought it was just me didn’t follow their system. For instance I am interested in watching Midway as it is included in Prime. But it’s only in HD 5.1, right? Whereas if I go to iTunes it’s in UHD Atmos for £4.49. The ATV version redirects me to Amazon. I think the Amazon logic is spreading to Apple.
Thats the way the ATV app has been designed to work, the ATV app directs you to Amazon because you have the app installed.
However once you’ve selected a title you need to scroll down to How To Watch for further options such as buying and renting from iTunes or quality options within Amazon if available.
8FC0343B-3C17-4E2A-A381-A53E317A93A2.jpeg

9261D522-7448-4AA8-B8E7-74AA96E76454.jpeg

Last edited:
If you watch it on iTunes, you need to buy it or rent it, as you have Prime, Apple is redirecting you to the free, lesser quality version on Prime.

Amazon UI is notoriously shit. Unlike almost everyone else that gives you one version of a particular title and stream it at the highest quality you can handle, Amazon have separate HD/UHD versions and it's usually nearly impossible to find the UHD version.

It's also annoying how they promote something, you click through and it takes you to season Z even though you've not watched X/Y. Potential spoilers anyone? 🤔

Hello ATV4K owners!

I have a sony xf 9005 and an ATV3 now.

I want to buy the ATV4K.

Should i wait for the the new version or buy it now?

Hello ATV4K owners!

I have a sony xf 9005 and an ATV3 now.

I want to buy the ATV4K.

Should i wait for the the new version or buy it now?
There is no confirmation there is going to be a new one, just speculation as there is each year. Personally, I would buy it now as its a great machine.

Thats the way the ATV app has been designed to work, the ATV app directs you to Amazon because you have the app installed.
However once you’ve selected a title you need to scroll down to How To Watch for further options such as buying and renting from iTunes or quality options within Amazon if available.
View attachment 1345026

View attachment 1345027
If you watch it on iTunes, you need to buy it or rent it, as you have Prime, Apple is redirecting you to the free, lesser quality version on Prime.

Amazon UI is notoriously sh*t. Unlike almost everyone else that gives you one version of a particular title and stream it at the highest quality you can handle, Amazon have separate HD/UHD versions and it's usually nearly impossible to find the UHD version.
I can see those options on my phone app. I do not recall them on my main ATV box but that may be confusion on my part. Also I had no confidence in reading the correct information from the Amazon app itself. Is the Amazon app working correctly on ATV box at the mo as regards 4K? I do have the onboard tv version as an option.

I can see those options on my phone app. I do not recall them on my main ATV box but that may be confusion on my part. Also I had no confidence in reading the correct information from the Amazon app itself. Is the Amazon app working correctly on ATV box at the mo as regards 4K? I do have the onboard tv version as an option.
No hdr working still atm on the prime video app on atv

Does anyone know if the lack of true 24fps output has been addressed in iOS 14 on Apple TV 4K?

I think we'd have heard by now. The lack of a fix for this suggests to me it can't be done in software.

The issue with 4k and HDR on the prime app seems to have been resolved....it's working again on my ATV box tonight
Yep, checked last night HDR it's back on prime. I checked a few films which were listed as HDR and was all ok apart from the film 'life'. It's listed as HDR but didn't work. Jurassic Park, Ghostbusters etc all fine. Funny, the film that I had in my watch list that made me realise that HDR wasn't working was 'Angels have fallen', which has now gone off prime. So I'll not get to see it now. Ha. Oh, Rambo Last Blood has also now gone off prime that was also in my 4k list. Oh well.

Looking at prime today on my LG app and a film called Countdown is listed as UHD but when you click on the film it takes you to the screen for you to play it but there is no mention UHD in the info just the normal. But when I go into Bosch it is in HDR, This is the same as on the ATV app.

Looking at prime today on my LG app and a film called Countdown is listed as UHD but when you click on the film it takes you to the screen for you to play it but there is no mention UHD in the info just the normal. But when I go into Bosch it is in HDR, This is the same as on the ATV app.
Yeah, I think Countdown is an 'amazon original' listening which are sometimes in 4kHDR, but you're right once into the info page there is no mention and there is no 4k HDR on the film (though the picture quality is really good). It could just be the wrong picture image used and the UHD banner shouldn't be there?

Hello to all, WOW, so many writers...hope my question was not posted too many times :)
Got some days ago, apple tv 4k - 64gb, model A1842, also got a problem:

1. my remote accelerometer and three-axis gyro does not work in games. Tried multiple games, same. Remote inself works very good in other situations (except tilt games). I reset her, paired again, same.

My actual tvos is 14.0 - 18J5354d, public beta 4. Can be a software issue? Or hardware one?

2. and also, from what i understand, i cannot downgrade from 14 to 13 is it?

Thank you in advance! :)

Hello to all, WOW, so many writers...hope my question was not posted too many times :)
Got some days ago, apple tv 4k - 64gb, model A1842, also got a problem:

1. my remote accelerometer and three-axis gyro does not work in games. Tried multiple games, same. Remote inself works very good in other situations (except tilt games). I reset her, paired again, same.

My actual tvos is 14.0 - 18J5354d, public beta 4. Can be a software issue? Or hardware one?

2. and also, from what i understand, i cannot downgrade from 14 to 13 is it?

Thank you in advance! :)
No too sure about the accelerometer, but as you’re using beta then it’s possible it could be related so I guess the only thing you can do is just sit back and wait for a further release to see if it’s fixed.
You are correct in that you cannot downgrade. Personally I’d stay away from using beta software as if there are any issues you’ve either got to put up with it until a further release fixes it or worst case scenario have a none functioning device that may not be repairable.
I’d say all you can really do as part of the beta program is to report you’re accelerometer issue.

Yeah, I think Countdown is an 'amazon original' listening which are sometimes in 4kHDR, but you're right once into the info page there is no mention and there is no 4k HDR on the film (though the picture quality is really good). It could just be the wrong picture image used and the UHD banner shouldn't be there?
Thanks for that. Yes a few of the programs say they are in UHD but no mention of this when you click on it, as I said it seems only the prime exclusive programs are in HDR.

No too sure about the accelerometer, but as you’re using beta then it’s possible it could be related so I guess the only thing you can do is just sit back and wait for a further release to see if it’s fixed.
You are correct in that you cannot downgrade. Personally I’d stay away from using beta software as if there are any issues you’ve either got to put up with it until a further release fixes it or worst case scenario have a none functioning device that may not be repairable.
I’d say all you can really do as part of the beta program is to report you’re accelerometer issue.
I am not sure also, if tilt was working in official tvos 12.*, i updated to latest v14 beta, without to try this in v12.
Nobody here to tell if tilt in games works with v14 beta?
I got the atv 4k few days ago and also i did not documented before and i thought it would work to downgrade from a beta to the official version.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom