Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

This may be of interest to some of you Siri remote haters.

very tempted with one of these, Mrs hates the Apple one. Any uk dealers of them? I can’t find one but they do ship to uk if it comes to it.

TBF I don't think any of us are saying they improve picture quality or speed

FWIW this is one cable which I had previously ordered which failed to work with the atv4k at 4k chroma 4:4:4

Amazon

Judging by the reviews I wasn't the only one
Each to there own, I don't spend more than 20 pounds on a cable and my 4k DV playback is amazing.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Not like me a Man Yoo fan to agree with a Gooner but he's right on this.
Well that just shows you know nothing on how HDMI cables work. There is a whole thread on this topic if you want to educate yourself on the subject

TBF I don't think any of us are saying they improve picture quality or speed

FWIW this is one cable which I had previously ordered which failed to work with the atv4k at 4k chroma 4:4:4

Amazon

Judging by the reviews I wasn't the only one
at least one person has mentioned an improvement in image quality. I get chroma 4.4.4 on my ATV 4K too, with my Amazon Basics cable, so its more than capable for anything an ATV can output.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
at least one person has mentioned an improvement in image quality. I get chroma 4.4.4 on my ATV 4K too, with my Amazon Basics cable, so its more than capable for anything an ATV can output.

Yes mate I have also previously bought amazon basic cables which performed as expected, I have also bought some which have not, which is kind of my point, with these mass produced cheap certified cables there is very little by the way of testing before they are sold and unfortunately not all cables perform to spec. You have had no issues, that's great :smashin:, but not everyone has has the same experience so being so dismissive and suggesting users are "suckers" is not particularly fair IMO.

A lot of the time these cables struggle when receiving an 18gb signal, fortunately with the apple tv most DV material is 24hz 12bit chroma 4.2.2 which is only 10gb anyway so it is not really an issue when watching content. The issues for me tended to arrive whilst attempting to handshake either through switching to the ATV input or between content and the menu system.

Well that just shows you know nothing on how HDMI cables work. There is a whole thread on this topic if you want to educate yourself on the subject
listen mr know it all a 20 quid cable is fine for me as I said the quality of playback is amazing on my tv.

question to anyone who has TV OS 14 beta... Does youtube now support Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate?

Why would that be? The PS4 Pro youtube app plays 4K videos and outputs HDR when the video is HDR

Why would that be? The PS4 Pro youtube app plays 4K videos and outputs HDR when the video is HDR

Because at this time 4k HDR on YouTube requires vp9.2 and my understanding is that the apple tv does not have a hardware decoder for vp9.2. Theoretically they could attempt to do it in software, Nvidia tried this with the shield but it was unusable so they removed it.

YouTube 4k has been enabled on some iPad models already. It is only SDR and these devices are running the A12 bionic.

very tempted with one of these, Mrs hates the Apple one. Any uk dealers of them? I can’t find one but they do ship to uk if it comes to it.
Is it available in the UK.

My bro in law has the Apple TV App. I have the Apple TV box. Is it possible to allow him access to my I-tunes movie library? I have gone into settings and it seems I have an option to add a new email address. Is this all that is required?

Setup up family sharing and he should be able to see your films etc

Setup up family sharing and he should be able to see your films etc

Thanks. I thought family sharing was just for other people in the same household but will give it a go. I don't see these options when using my Apple TV box though.

Thanks. I thought family sharing was just for other people in the same household but will give it a go. I don't see these options when using my Apple TV box though.

Just one thing to be aware of, all billing within the family group is done through the family organizer. He will have 2 options if purchasing, either load his account with gift cards as it will use this balance first or just ping the cash over to you and cover payments that way.

Ok, have just done some more research. It seems I can't set up family sharing as I don't own an iphone (or similar device), despite the fact that I have the Apple TV box. Using the ATV box or my PC doesn't give me the family sharing options as linked to by @dvdchild

Give him your logon details?

listen mr know it all a 20 quid cable is fine for me as I said the quality of playback is amazing on my tv.
Well good for you and I am not trying to tell you you should not have spent that. However, you would also get exactly the same image if you had spent a fiver......

Yes mate I have also previously bought amazon basic cables which performed as expected, I have also bought some which have not, which is kind of my point, with these mass produced cheap certified cables there is very little by the way of testing before they are sold and unfortunately not all cables perform to spec. You have had no issues, that's great :smashin:, but not everyone has has the same experience so being so dismissive and suggesting users are "suckers" is not particularly fair IMO.

A lot of the time these cables struggle when receiving an 18gb signal, fortunately with the apple tv most DV material is 24hz 12bit chroma 4.2.2 which is only 10gb anyway so it is not really an issue when watching content. The issues for me tended to arrive whilst attempting to handshake either through switching to the ATV input or between content and the menu system.
The suckers reference is a dig at those who buy into the nonsense marketing garb claimed by the cable manufacturers in the belief that they are getting more for their money. People should pay as much as they want but they shouldn't kid themselves that it will be superior than the cheaper alternatives in doing its job; ie acting as a pipe, down which data is transmitted - as long as it has sufficient capacity, it will work. The suggestion that an Amazon Basics, Monoprice or similar high speed cable is not capable of dealing with anything an ATV 4K box does is simply incorrect in my opinion.

The suckers reference is a dig at those who buy into the nonsense marketing garb claimed by the cable manufacturers in the belief that they are getting more for their money. People should pay as much as they want but they shouldn't kid themselves that it will be superior than the cheaper alternatives in doing its job; ie acting as a pipe, down which data is transmitted - as long as it has sufficient capacity, it will work. The suggestion that an Amazon Basics, Monoprice or similar high speed cable is not capable of dealing with anything an ATV 4K box does is simply incorrect in my opinion.
I have monoprice cables, which I now use exclusively, after replacing a few dodgy ones. No issues at all. Cheap as chips but do the job.

Well good for you and I am not trying to tell you you should not have spent that. However, you would also get exactly the same image if you had spent a fiver......
I said I wouldnt spend more than 20 quid on a cable I actually spent £8.99.

Well having these Belkin cables for nearly a week,its nice to be able to not have the stress of picture “Black outs” speckles on the screen and having better options when I set the picture up again on the Apple 4K box.Also my Sony UBPX700 will now allow me to play all my sacds,Dolby Atmos Demo files that I have...plays my dvds with out sound drop outs every few seconds...so something was clearly not right with the cables I had before[they were over 10 years old though) And these cables will last me another 10 years...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom