Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

I’ve been getting these blackouts recently on my box but my cable is buried in the wall so not easy to resolve. It’s not all the time and mine was an Amazon’s basics one which was fine. I’m wondering if it’s since the latest tv os update as never had it before.

Well having these Belkin cables for nearly a week,its nice to be able to not have the stress of picture “Black outs” speckles on the screen and having better options when I set the picture up again on the Apple 4K box.Also my Sony UBPX700 will now allow me to play all my sacds,Dolby Atmos Demo files that I have...plays my dvds with out sound drop outs every few seconds...so something was clearly not right with the cables I had before[they were over 10 years old though) And these cables will last me another 10 years...

I got a replacement Philips 934 TV that supports Dolby Vision. Using the TV netflix, titles show the DV logo and when playing, the DV logo flashes up bottom right of the TV. Using ATV, which is my preference, the DV logo is shown in the netflix listings but it never triggers the TV splash.
I'm assuming the ATV Netflix recognises the TV capability but I wold expect the TV to announce when it receives a DV signal. Am I missing something?

I get the DV notification for both Netflix and ATV in my LG, no reason why it shouldn’t show on your Philips.

I got a replacement Philips 934 TV that supports Dolby Vision. Using the TV netflix, titles show the DV logo and when playing, the DV logo flashes up bottom right of the TV. Using ATV, which is my preference, the DV logo is shown in the netflix listings but it never triggers the TV splash.
I'm assuming the ATV Netflix recognises the TV capability but I wold expect the TV to announce when it receives a DV signal. Am I missing something?

Hi mate have you turned on the settings to enable full bandwith on the hdmi ports? With Philips it's called hdmi ultra HD (or something like that). You can kind of check this is on the atv by going into the display settings. There should be an option to enable DV. Also make sure match dynamic range is on in the atv display settings, you may aswell turn on match framerate whilst you are at it

Thanks . yeah, all that switched on. Forgot to mention it's going through a Sony STRDH-970 AVR.
I'm just finding it unusual it's in the listings but apparently not outputting (or at least not getting through)

eta - shouldn't be the avr " Latest HDR standards such as HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) and Dolby Vision™ are supported. "

Last edited:
Have you tried plugging straight into the tv anyway? I got a DV capable amp a couple of years ago that needed a firmware update to actually pass it.

Thanks . yeah, all that switched on. Forgot to mention it's going through a Sony STRDH-970 AVR.
I'm just finding it unusual it's in the listings but apparently not outputting (or at least not getting through)

eta - shouldn't be the avr " Latest HDR standards such as HDR10, HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) and Dolby Vision™ are supported. "

You have probably did this also mate, but usually the avr will need setting to enhanced too for the hdmi

The easiest way to check DV is working though is to go into the video and audio settings on the apple tv, the first entry should say enable Dolby vision, select it and it should put the menus into Dolby vision and trigger on your TV

I wouldn't recommend having it set like this all the time but it's a good way to check because if it is another issue such as cables etc... then the ATV will fire off a warning message about being unable to maintain a stable connection

the first entry should say enable Dolby vision

And we have a winner! Because the listings were flagged as being DV available I didn't even consider to check the ATV, I presumed because there was some kind of handshake that made it available that it would output too.
Switching this option does indeed trigger the TV flag.
Thanks for the pointers :)

And we have a winner! Because the listings were flagged as being DV available I didn't even consider to check the ATV, I presumed because there was some kind of handshake that made it available that it would output too.
Switching this option does indeed trigger the TV flag.
Thanks for the pointers :)

Hi mate, good to see progress.

If you enable match dynamic range within the ATV settings then DV should engage for appropriate content even if the menus are set to SDR.

Finally purchased ATV 4K from classifieds at a good price and it will be my first time venturing into the world of Apple. Anyone knows when this will get 4K / HDR support on the YouTube app? This seems to be the only known issue AFAIK.

Finally purchased ATV 4K from classifieds at a good price and it will be my first time venturing into the world of Apple. Anyone knows when this will get 4K / HDR support on the YouTube app? This seems to be the only known issue AFAIK.
It’s in the next TVOS software update I believe and Google will have to update the app. Not long to wait (Sept/Oct)

It’s in the next TVOS software update I believe and Google will have to update the app. Not long to wait (Sept/Oct)

Thanks. The 3 main reason to upgrade from FireTV stick:

1. Frame rate matching on apps.
2. Ability to purchase and watch movies from Apple store via app.
3. Atmos support on Netflix.

Thanks. The 3 main reason to upgrade from FireTV stick:

1. Frame rate matching on apps.
2. Ability to purchase and watch movies from Apple store via app.
3. Atmos support on Netflix.
It’s a quality device and there are lots of bargains to be had on the iTunes Store. If you buy a movie in HD they often get remastered and upgraded to UHD at no extra cost to you.

It’s a quality device and there are lots of bargains to be had on the iTunes Store. If you buy a movie in HD they often get remastered and upgraded to UHD at no extra cost to you.

Thanks mate. I had waited so long and only then pulled the trigger as other devices have issues as mentioned above. Such a shame as the FireTV stick is a great device but it doesn't do frame rate matching on non-native apps and forces everything at 60Hz which results in annoying frame skips.

Hi Gonzo,
Just downloaded app. Is there a way to listen whilst the screen saver is on.
when I am using prime music I can press the menu button and after a few presses the screen saver comesmup.

Hi Gonzo,
Just downloaded app. Is there a way to listen whilst the screen saver is on.
when I am using prime music I can press the menu button and after a few presses the screen saver comesmup.
Couldn’t say, I don’t use it.
If it doesn’t appear after a couple of minutes or after a double press of the menu button then I guess not.

And there are still annoying frame skips on the ATV I'm afraid on 24fps (as opposed to 23.976) material.

Oh dear. I thought ATV matches frame rate. My FireTV stick is outputting at 60Hz on non-native apps and I can see stuttering and frame skipping every 5 minutes especially during slow camera pans and actor's heads. Is it that bad with the ATV?

I don't think you'll get HDR with YouTube, just 4K. Hope to be wrong.

Oh man. You are feeding some really bad news. Thought it will support VP-9 with the latest tvOS update.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom