Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

Purchased.

AppleTV.png

32Gb for me. Do not use apps at all other than the main streaming ones.

Basically My screen will consist of..
Iplayer
Now tv
Netflix
Amazon
Tv app
Itv
YouTube
Apple trailers

All the current ones on the Apple TV 4 came to under 100mb, plus cache whilst using. Even if you say we will be using up 1Gb with 4K assets on all that lot that's a heck of a lot left over.

The proposed 15Mb connection recommendation for UHD content streaming works out as a little under 7Gb an hour. Even if it was something like Batman vs Superman at 3 hours 30 minutes then that's still 24Gb. Also don't forget that even when using the slower connection download option, it'll scrub the cache behind you as you are watching a movie in a rolling format. (Reason why you could watch King Kong extended or Lord of the Rings Extended editions even on the 8Gb Atv 3.)

I ordered a 64Gb one, but I can't see any 4k movies on iTunes?

There starting to show on the US site. All purchased HD films will be upgraded to 4k free of charge.

It's ok, they were starting to show up the last 24 hours but for whatever reason they are all not showing again right now. If it helps then these were some of the ones from my iTunes collection showing up as 4K already.

The Martian
Alien Covenant
Man of Steel
Batman: Dawn of Justice
Creed
Deadpool
Ghost in the Shell
Logan
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Man from UNCLE
Maze Runner
Maze Runner Scorch Trials
San Andreas
Star Trek (2011)
Star Trek Beyond
Sully: Miracle on the Hudson
Terminator Genisys
The Legend of Tarzan
Vacation
Suicide Squad
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Life of Pi
The Accountant
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
I Am Legend
Kingsman
Kong:Skull Island
Lego Batman Movie
Live By Night
Argo
War Dogs

It's ok, they were starting to show up the last 24 hours but for whatever reason they are all not showing again right now. If it helps then these were some of the ones from my iTunes collection showing up as 4K already.

The Martian
Alien Covenant
Man of Steel
Batman: Dawn of Justice
Creed
Deadpool
Ghost in the Shell
Logan
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Man from UNCLE
Maze Runner
Maze Runner Scorch Trials
San Andreas
Star Trek (2011)
Star Trek Beyond
Sully: Miracle on the Hudson
Terminator Genisys
The Legend of Tarzan
Vacation
Suicide Squad
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Life of Pi
The Accountant
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
I Am Legend
Kingsman
Kong:Skull Island
Lego Batman Movie
Live By Night
Argo
War Dogs
So they will have to be streamed, rather than downloaded to be viewed in 4k, is that correct?

So they will have to be streamed, rather than downloaded to be viewed in 4k, is that correct?

Two slightly different options on Apple TV's up till now, we don't know for certain this will be the same of course until it's launched.

One, straight streaming. If you can handle Netflix UltraHD the chances are you'll be able to handle this too.

The other option is on a slower connection you could click play on a title, then it'd start downloading as you were watching. If you then clicked pause, it would continue to buffer up the rest of the movie for you regardless. So there was no reason why you couldn't get ready for bed one night, knowing you wanted to watch a certain movie the night after, start a title off, pause it and go bed. As long as you didn't use the Apple TV for anything else in the meantime (even Netflix) then it would continue grabbing the rest of the film for you overnight. (Power on these are really minimal, roughly 5 watts) Kind of cheat way of doing it, but it works. (We don't know yet if the new Apple TV is definitely the same obviously, until we get our hands on it ourselves.)

Last edited:
I've pre-ordered the new UHD Bluray Harry Potter 8 film set from Amazon, but now I'm thinking maybe the iTunes downloads might be more convenient - my daughter can play them in 1080p upstairs on her Apple TV but they would play at 4k HDR on the big telly downstairs.

I suppose there will be a lot of comparisons made between 4K disc and 4K iTunes download on Friday, it'll be interesting either way.

I suppose there will be a lot of comparisons made between 4K disc and 4K iTunes download on Friday, it'll be interesting either way.

Yeah, I am very tempted to dive in now but I will wait for real reviews. I don't expect it to be a disc killer, but if a few new owners are pleasantly surprised then I may get one and just get the "big" movies on disc.

I've pre-ordered the new UHD Bluray Harry Potter 8 film set from Amazon, but now I'm thinking maybe the iTunes downloads might be more convenient - my daughter can play them in 1080p upstairs on her Apple TV but they would play at 4k HDR on the big telly downstairs.

So the £39.99 HD complete film collection on iTunes will upgrade to 4k? Any idea when?

As an aside nothing on iTunes on my laptop is showing as 4k, is that to be expected?

So the £39.99 HD complete film collection on iTunes will upgrade to 4k? Any idea when?

We don’t know if or when. Hopefully more will be apparent next week.

Yeah, I am very tempted to dive in now but I will wait for real reviews. I don't expect it to be a disc killer, but if a few new owners are pleasantly surprised then I may get one and just get the "big" movies on disc.
That would make a lot of sense for me also.

Exactly. Just because I've bought one of these, doesn't mean I'm giving up on discs entirely.

Just checking in - I ordered a 64GB still says 2-3 weeks, but I can wait. I didn’t want the smaller one when you consider games are several GB each as well...

Just checking in - I ordered a 64GB still says 2-3 weeks, but I can wait. I didn’t want the smaller one when you consider games are several GB each as well...

When did you order? I did at 8:02 and delivery is for Friday 22nd.

When did you order? I did at 8:02 and delivery is for Friday 22nd.
I was a bit late - wasn’t expecting so much demand for the the AppleTV :) I think I looked at 09:00’ish and was like nah I’ll check store availability or get one later...But then midday’ish I wouldn’t resist and just ordered it and forget about it, it will arrive when it does :)

I don't envisage playing games on mine, got a PS4, Xbox and PC for that, so 32gb should be more than enough for me. Hopefully :)

Has everyone that's ordered actually got a TV that's either HDR or Dolby Vision compatible?
If not there could be an issue with playback.
My purchase is on hiatus at the mo as may just stick with the ATV4 if I've got to set at 1080p and let the TV upscale to 4K.
IMG_1418.jpg

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208074

No idea how to check whether mine does DV at 50Hz. Billy Lynn looked amazing at 60Hz via my Oppo and my TV had no problem with that. Nor my Amp passing it through.

Btw my delivery date is now 2-7 October.

Seriously thinking of getting this. Might wait for user reviews first though to see what 4k is like. I know it’s obviously not gonna be has good as discs but I’d like to know how much difference there is. Is the quality gonna be on par with Netflix because even some programmes in HD on there look like 4k at times. What is fantastic though is the fact they’ll upgrade your films to 4k versions if available.

Apparently I may needn't have worried with regards to non HDR 4K TVs.
I'm still a little sceptical but might just buy one and hope for the best and get a refund if it doesn't work out.
The good news however is I've just found out I get a discount with Apple through work, it's only £5 but still better than paying full price.

Just an aside but 4k titles are showing back up again on iOS this morning for those wanting a scout around.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom