Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

No such thing as a free lunch..

This doesn't affect me because I only buy content on there, but guys word of warning.. they've just raised Rental prices on new releases to £5.49 a pop. (See Alien Covenant for an example.)

That's a bit sneaky! £4.49 was too much for me for a rental, so I definitely won't be starting at £5.49 :)

£5.49 for HD or plain 4k, no way. But for HDR/DV maybe.

I was on the laptop earlier and noticed a few price changes too.

Although under a tenner for a new release (Alien Covenant) 4K HDR/DV is a pretty sweet deal, if the quality is any good.

To be honest I've never seen the point in renting titles at £4.49 a time, when you can grab a Cinema Paradiso rental package that'll do you the whole month for only slightly more. :thumbsdow

Last edited:
I have an ATV4 64gb and I rarely use the thing. I have a decent selection of iTunes movie purchases, so they'd be nice to get a bump to HDR/4K, but other than that I don't see the point. The ATV is a pretty awful streamer, with very few apps to choose from and an awful remote. Plus those apps it does have tend to be worse than on other platforms (Now TV and iPlayer are truly awful on the Apple TV).

I used to use my PS4 for streaming, but now I use my TV's built in apps. WebOS makes all streaming boxes feel very antiquated.

As for 64gb vs 32gb, my 64gb model is basically empty. There's no appeal in playing crappy telephone games on my TV and streaming apps require very little storage. I'd say for the 32gb if you wan to buy one.

To be honest I've never seen the point in renting titles at £4.49 a time, when you can grab a Cinema Paradiso rental package that'll do you the whole month for only slightly more. :thumbsdow
Do they actually do 4k UHD discs? And how many of them? When I look it is either a documentary Europe 4K (yay!) or not yet available for rental...

They do some, I think they're limited by which studios which will allow them to.

I've currently got Kong Skull Island from them in 4K, so that's at least one :)

Do they actually do 4k UHD discs? And how many of them? When I look it is either a documentary Europe 4K (yay!) or not yet available for rental...

Some, but as said only the one studio so far. Recently they've had John Wick 2, Kong: Skull Island and both King Arthur and Wonder Woman are 4K titles. Other than that it's straight blu-ray of course, so what you'll lack in Dolby Vision you'll make up for in bitrate and audio. For a light rental option that suits me fine.

£5.49 on iTunes will get you one Rental.

£6.98 on Cinema Paradiso will get you four a month, so £1.75 "each" Rental.

It doesn't stop you from buying titles on iTunes, it just means you play it clever. Why buy a new release for £13.99, when you could just rent it (in my case for £1.50 a time, because I pay upfront for 6 months and get a slight discount) and then grab it when it goes on sale on iTunes later on.

That's pretty much what I do, I use the CheapCharts app for on sale stuff on iTunes, picked up quite a few bargains, thanks to that.

Normal iTunes pricing leaves a lot to be desired most of the time, especially on older stuff, where you can normally pick up the disc for a fraction of the download price, but quite often random stuff comes up at decent prices, most of which I'd completely miss were it not for the app.

Normal iTunes pricing leaves a lot to be desired most of the time, especially on older stuff, where you can normally pick up the disc for a fraction of the download price, but quite often random stuff comes up at decent prices, most of which I'd completely miss were it not for the app.

Yeah, it's a shame that Apple have recently kicked them out of the Apple Store. You can still download the app through purchases, but try and do a straight search on the App Store for it now and it's a different matter.

I'm ok with pricing but only because I'm not playing fairly anyway. I'm in a large family share so of course whilst individual items might be higher in price, I get that back (and then some) with what the others in the group put up too. I genuinely don't know why more people don't make the most of Apple or Googles Family sharing ability.

They posted on Facebook earlier that they've resolved their issues with Apple, so it should be back on the store soon, if it's not already.

Just been in touch with Argos. I was told I would be contacted by or on the 22nd to arrange delivery.

They posted on Facebook earlier that they've resolved their issues with Apple, so it should be back on the store soon, if it's not already.

That is good news. I'd just use the inbuilt iOS wishlist on the iTunes Store, but of course Apple don't want you to be able to sort by price for a start, let alone giving you notifications when something on your wishlist drops in price!

Yeah, I put stuff I think of on the wishlist, but it's a right pain having to check it pretty much daily, on the off chance of a price cut and with some deals only lasting a day or two, you pretty much have to check daily :)

Yup I love that Cheap Charts app, although it's not too good for the finances. My biggest bargain from Cheap Charts was all 9 seasons of 24 for £2.99 each, then not long after that the complete boxset went up for sale for £150.
I also wanted the 24 Redemption mini movie episode which had been £10.99 but I instead bought it from the boxset as a single episode for £2.49.

My best one was the complete Smallville (200 odd episodes) for about £20.

My best one was the complete Smallville (200 odd episodes) for about £20.

Oh yes I got it at that price too, never saw it the first time around, currently coming up to half way on Season 6.
Games of Thrones I got for £44 for Seasons 1-5, though that was by just looking at iTunes and the girlfriend said 'You Must Buy That', something else I'd never seen so had to take her word for it.

Anyone moved beyond "preparing for dispatch" yet?

Got my 64gb coming 25th. 1st ATV.

Still planning on buying UHD Blu Rays, but for convenience of 4K and HDR it was too hard to resist.

Well that and NFL instead of streaming from phone to Chromecast

Last I heard it was fairly easy to get US itunes up and running on this? Got VPN and soon a VPN Wifi hub. While I'm sure content will come, I'm sure the US will trounce any other countries. Just hoping the studios have not gone all Netflix crazy with Apple.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom