Apple TV 4K Owners Thread

‘I have these cables. I have the 2.1 ones’ - sorry It’s all just Apple/Belkin marketing guff, HDMI cables are not version compliant.

HDMI.org has its cable Certification programme - with the latest option being ‘Ultra High Speed’, nothing available as yet, expect them to be expensive and the longest option being 3m.

Joe

Just set up a US itunes account and have some questions on it - Is it fairly safe to make purchases in this store and not be at risk of losing them if apple made it so we can’t access the store in the future?

There’s always a chance, but it’s unlikely In my opinion. You could always back up any purchases if you were worried, only downside is they wouldn’t be 4K.

Just set up a US itunes account and have some questions on it - Is it fairly safe to make purchases in this store and not be at risk of losing them if apple made it so we can’t access the store in the future?

If Apple wanted to, they could make it reasonably difficult for you to access your purchases. You'd need a DNS service or VPN. They would struggle to make it impossible. Unless they locked every single account and made users unlock them using phone / address validation.

But it's unlikely.

At the end of the day, we’re buying stuff from them at the full price, so it’s not an issue, unlike the cheap codes That were too good to be true from a month or so back that got removed.

Buying stuff from the US store is no different to buying region 1 DVDs back in the day.

At the end of the day, we’re buying stuff from them at the full price, so it’s not an issue, unlike the cheap codes That were too good to be true from a month or so back that got removed.

Buying stuff from the US store is no different to buying region 1 DVDs back in the day.
Thats true. I presume its been this way for a while that people have been buying on US accounts right? So hopefully won’t change any time soon

Thats true. I presume its been this way for a while that people have been buying on US accounts right? So hopefully won’t change any time soon
They can't stop you buying from US accounts unless they stop selling Itunes Gift Cards. Which is effectively a license to print money for Apple so again, highly unlikely

I’ve been buying US stuff since getting my ATV a good few years ago.

They recently made it ridiculously easy to switch between UK/US accounts too, which I doubt they would’ve done if they were planning to block anything.

The last Tvos update has made it even easier to switch between accounts, so I doubt that is likely to happen anytime soon.

Isn't it because it doesn't support HLG which is how the BBC are implementing HDR?

EDIT - sorry I think that's what you meant!

Isn't it because it doesn't support HLG which is how the BBC are implementing HDR?

EDIT - sorry I think that's what you meant!

UHD iplayer also works on some sets which never supported HLG such as 2016 LG LCDs and cx Panasonic sets. HLG is backwards compatible, the box/TV just needs to be to handle the codec (HEVC), which the ATV can.

The main problem was DVB-DASH and the surrounding DRM, this blindsided a few manufacturers, notably samsung with their KS/KU sets and Sony with their XE sets. I think some forget the ATV4K was released back in 2017 and generally the support wasn‘t there as the standards where still being finalised

OK so the new Belkin hdmi cables arrived.

Everything has been changed over to the new cables...its been 10 years since the majority of the cables have been changed(apart from the xbox one x and sky Q box).

It is all now working perfectly the apple 4k box is giving me more options then before on the rgb settings and chroma settings...my Sony Ubp x 700 now plays everything I throw at it where as before with one of the older cables I had to turn uhd hdmi settings off in the lg menu to be able to play sacd,dvd and music cds as the audio would cut out every few seconds...So now I'm a happy chappy...its all working as it should and I got a great deal on the cables because I brought six....all I can say is its made me appreciate my equipment again as I'm not messing around thinking something was wrong with my set up...I didn't want to get the cheaper cables as these will last me another 10 plus years....so if your thinking of getting these and you are having any issues then they are the ones to go for.
20200822_093047.jpg

OK so the new Belkin hdmi cables arrived.

Everything has been changed over to the new cables...its been 10 years since the majority of the cables have been changed(apart from the xbox one x and sky Q box).

It is all now working perfectly the apple 4k box is giving me more options then before on the rgb settings and chroma settings...my Sony Ubp x 700 now plays everything I throw at it where as before with one of the older cables I had to turn uhd hdmi settings off in the lg menu to be able to play sacd,dvd and music cds as the audio would cut out every few seconds...So now I'm a happy chappy...its all working as it should and I got a great deal on the cables because I brought six....all I can say is its made me appreciate my equipment again as I'm not messing around thinking something was wrong with my set up...I didn't want to get the cheaper cables as these will last me another 10 plus years....so if your thinking of getting these and you are having any issues then they are the ones to go for.View attachment 1354171

Wowza - how much did you pay for them?! Surely just certified cables would have done?

Something like these @ £8.99 each:

Amazon product ASIN B07FQS3CG1

Wowza - how much did you pay for them?! Surely just certified cables would have done?

Something like these @ £8.99 each:

Amazon product ASIN B07FQS3CG1
I brought one of those...still had the same issues.I got a good deal on the belkin ones because i was buying 6 of them...I look at it this way buying the cheaper cables has not worked out well for me so i took the plunge and got the belkin ones as they were recommended to me by a couple of people...whilst i appreciate that they are not the cheapest cables...but these are the ones that have solved all my issues.And if i get another ten years of enjoyment from my set-up,then to me they are worth every penny...I dont have the best set-up in the world,and i'm hoping it will give me years of enjoyment.

I brought one of those...still had the same issues.I got a good deal on the belkin ones because i was buying 6 of them...I look at it this way buying the cheaper cables has not worked out well for me so i took the plunge and got the belkin ones as they were recommended to me by a couple of people...whilst i appreciate that they are not the cheapest cables...but these are the ones that have solved all my issues.And if i get another ten years of enjoyment from my set-up,then to me they are worth every penny...I dont have the best set-up in the world,and i'm hoping it will give me years of enjoyment.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have bought cheap "certified" cables only to run into issues, especially when pushing the full 18ghz 600mhz bandwith. When they work it's great and for sure a bargain. when they don't it's a world of frustration as issues happen randomly and are often difficult to reproduce. I can fully understand someone paying a bit more for piece of mind.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have bought cheap "certified" cables only to run into issues, especially when pushing the full 18ghz 600mhz bandwith. When they work it's great and for sure a bargain. when they don't it's a world of frustration as issues happen randomly and are often difficult to reproduce. I can fully understand someone paying a bit more for piece of mind.
Thank you,you have hit the nail on the head for me..It was starting to get on my nerves with the problems i was facing! i couldn't enjoy my equipment...I like to think im pretty "clued up" on this kind of thing but it was becoming a minefield My head was telling me if it's cheap then its not going to solve my problem...and i proved my point with a £8.99 so-called certified high speed cable from amazon...thats now gone upstairs into the man cave...on a Sony UBP-7200!

Fair enough, but you shouldn't be running into issues with certified cables. You validate they are genuine using the QR code, so there is nothing to doubt.

I've had loads of issues in the past, but never with certified cables I have to say.

Main thing is, it's working for you now I guess :)

Since upgrading all my HDMI cables with Premium Certified things seem to be working well. I will wait for new cables to get certified before paying 3x the price!
Ultra High Speed Cable - HDMI

I am a stranger to Amazon and have dipped into it for the past week or so. I thought it was just me didn’t follow their system. For instance I am interested in watching Midway as it is included in Prime. But it’s only in HD 5.1, right? Whereas if I go to iTunes it’s in UHD Atmos for £4.49. The ATV version redirects me to Amazon. I think the Amazon logic is spreading to Apple.
No all its doing is redirecting you to the free version on Prime, you have to click on the app to watch it or click on iTunes and rent or buy it in 4K the choice is yours no one is forcing you to watch it on Prime.I have been a Prime member for over a year and have had no problem with the quality of playback.

I use Amazon basics hdmi cables and I have no issues whatsoever. Spending any more than these cost will not improve picture quality or speed, whatever anyone says.
Not like me a Man Yoo fan to agree with a Gooner but he's right on this.

Not like me a Man Yoo fan to agree with a Gooner but he's right on this.

TBF I don't think any of us are saying they improve picture quality or speed

FWIW this is one cable which I had previously ordered which failed to work with the atv4k at 4k chroma 4:4:4

Amazon

Judging by the reviews I wasn't the only one

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom