Olliefreddie1

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear all,
have just bought and connecting to a LG OLED tv.
has defaulted to Dolby Vision 4K 50 Hz but can also get a picture connecting Dolby Vision 4K 60 Hz.

could anyone tell me the difference or if there’s one I should plump for?

The important settings are Match Content to Range and Framerate so the box adapts to the correct settings - e.g. DV 24fps for a movie.

Youve set the default for the GUI but also for any apps that dont switch. Although a duller image for menus I went back to SDR 50Hz - in any case unnecessary HDR is not good for OLEDs

Many thanks for reply.
Forgive my ignorance but assume SFR 50hz is still a 4K setting? Is it Dolby Vision?

what was your reason for doing?

really appreciate the advice mate

The real experts are in the linked ATV owners thread.
Yes set to 4K
If the ATV 4K has worked at DV 4K/60 you have shown that the HDMI cable is suitable for the worst case. Films though will only be DV 4K/30.

Match content means the ATV will adapt for itunes movies, ATV+ Netflix, Prime, Because DV has been proved you dont need to have the GUI in DV - the ATV will switch DV back on when it needs to

Other TVs apps dont tell the ATV to switch and so would stay in DV 60Hz and would look wrong - SDR 50Hz is best for them. SDR is standard dynamic range - the opposite of HDR

If you never use any other apps then 60Hz gives a faster refresh rate and thats better for GUIs and games.

Because on an OLED HDR means a high OLED light which is extra wear on the pixels so thats why I went back to SDR for the GUI.

I also set to 444 chroma for the GUI - but again this requires the highest bandwidth and might not work at 4K/60

As a side note today is the last day of Movie Week - thats films on sale at 2.99 and above on itunes - many in 4K.

Itunes 4K movies is the reason I went for the ATV 4K so if thats of interest, you might want to stock up!

Many thanks again - yes the deals on iTunes was a huge reason behind the decision- some great deals on there.

Yes the sound quality was better on Blu-ray but switch over worth it for convenience and I’m sure one day lossless sound will arrive in the digital formats. The convenience factor was the big draw though - just so much easier.

feels odd that I might not buy another film on hard format.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom