Apple TV / ITunes 4k to hd downgrades..

It is annoying - both when it happens but in the way it happens and continues to happen and it's only on Itunes movies. There's no reason for a period of reversion before an update, and never any explanation or notice or apology. The movies app on ATV 4K is flaky enough by itself - often it will not load the library right away - without finding the 4K version we bought is then not accessible.

I won’t deny it’s annoying if you specifically bought a 4K version of something, but if something you owned in HD gets bumped up and then back down, I don’t think we’ve got too much to complain about.

I’d definitely be more annoyed if we were paying a premium like other services do for their 4K content.
For the prices we’re paying most of the time which is far less than a full price HD title I can live with the analogy of I’ve bought it in HD and 4K is a bonus.
At the moment I’m yet to see a 4K option disappear completely from my library so even less of an issue to be worried about IMO.

giphy (1).gif
giphy (1).gif
giphy (1).gif

Meanwhile, we be like..... (hope this meme thing works, never tried one before!)

Who is? I have Atmos as well...this is Detective Pikachu UK
72FB485B-671A-42FB-A445-959E847DFE77.jpeg

Who is? I have Atmos as well...this is Detective Pikachu UKView attachment 1275054
Some movies although are showing available in 4K are only playing back in HD, well the HD tag is showing upon swipe down or pressing back depending on where you played the movie back from.

Last edited:
Some movies although are showing available in 4K are only playing back in HD, well the HD tag is showing upon swipe down or pressing back depending on where you played the movie back from.
This is also happening to me. Some of my 4k movies are only playing in HD.

This are the ones I noticed so far:
Apocalypse Now (final cut)
All Beverly Hills Cop movies
Blade Runner
The Doors
the evil dead (1982) and the evil dead II
All mission impossible movies except ghost protocol
Predator (1987) and Predator II
Rocky
The running man
Saving Private Ryan
Scarface
The shining

Could this be happening due to bandwith dropping by Apple?

If it was due to bandwidth you’d think all 4K movies would be playing in HD not just a few.

If it was due to bandwidth you’d think all 4K movies would be playing in HD not just a few.
I don’t know how it works, maybe the bandwith dropping is only affecting some movies.
But you’re probably right, this must be some other issue.

That’s the trouble, nobody, except Apple really knows how it works and they never say why it happens.

It may well be due to bandwidth dropping, but where’s the logic in it only affecting a handful out of several hundred 4K films?

That’s the trouble, nobody, except Apple really knows how it works and they never say why it happens.

It may well be due to bandwidth dropping, but where’s the logic in it only affecting a handful out of several hundred 4K films?

The only thing I can think of with regards to bandwidth, all movies are not encoded the same and the average bitrate will Vary from one movie to the next, it’s possible they have set a threshold and movies with a bitrate above this get pushed down to the next lower option.

Not saying this is happening, I have no idea why it is to be honest, looks like just another apple communication fail.

The only thing I can think of with regards to bandwidth, all movies are not encoded the same and the average bitrate will Vary from one movie to the next, it’s possible they have set a threshold and movies with a bitrate above this get pushed down to the next lower option.

Not saying this is happening, I have no idea why it is to be honest, looks like just another apple communication fail.
I guess it’s also possible that groups of movies are stored on servers in different locations around the world so it could just be those specific servers located in Europe that are affected.
Oh well whatever it is I think it’s time distribute this vital piece of PPE again
253FE267-0163-4CB6-97D6-5D998445809F.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom