Apple TV+'s Defending Jacob Season 1 TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Cas,

Me n the misses started watching this today and its very good, well we are both gripped now.
We have watched the first 2 episodes and just about to watch episode 3. It does keep you interested especially with the amount of horrid knife crime that's about in our country and the rest of the world at the moment. You kind of feel for the family involved in this.

Watched this recently and did enjoy, but why only 3 episodes?? we got into it and then thought ohh is that it, we have to wait till the new series

Watched this recently and did enjoy, but why only 3 episodes?? we got into it and then thought ohh is that it, we have to wait till the new series

No, it's Apple's model. They release 3 episodes, then weekly thereafter. There are actually 4 episodes available now, and the 4th is very good.

I have a problem with this show. I literally cannot see Chris Evans as not Steve Rogers.

It sounds funny. And it is funny. But it is genuinely hard to watch a show where Captain America is pretending to be a lawyer.

I’ll add that I don’t usually have this problem with actors. Only, it seems, with Capt... I mean Evans.

Last edited:
Is this a self contained series or is it going to end on a cliffhanger and have a series 2?

Is this a self contained series or is it going to end on a cliffhanger and have a series 2?
Self contained I believe.
Although if it’s successful enough, who knows.

I have a problem with this show. I literally cannot see Chris Evans as not Steve Rogers.

It sounds funny. And it is funny. But it is genuinely hard to watch a show where Captain America is pretending to be a lawyer.

I’ll add that I don’t usually have this problem with actors. Only, it seems, with Capt... I mean Evans.
I have just had the same problem watching Captain America in Knives Out.

I've added this to my watchlist. I am currently really enjoying For all Mankind. I love the production values of Apple, definitely a cut above.

Seen the first four now and although I like it enough to carry on, it is patchy in a realistic sense and signposted.
Evan's supposed Mr super intelligent and cunning ADA Andy Barber spirals from naive, smugly competent against second fiddle Loguidice (which sounds like 'the Judas' - clever artifice /coincidence/ future egg peeler?) to deeply ignorant of the law - yet now PI, because he's conversely so smart with the law that he'll make a great one. OK? A man with a past thanks to his father (that hiring choice, really?), who has no sense of friendship or, what it actually means and curbed by anyone who questions what doing or being the right way is. When he says he's acting like any parent/person, there's more of a feeling that he's a mimic and as a consequence frequently sets Jacob up as guilty - as does mom, Laurie.
Dockery is the classic no secrets as long as they're yours mom character. She constantly overcompensates in telling Jacob she loves him; like she too doesn't really know what it is either or, how to handle a once difficult toddler that's now a subdued teen. Desperate in her scrambling to make sense of most anything put her way and blowing up out of control, she makes everyone she comes across question her son's character and mentality. It's just all too much for her and she pretty well never considers anyone but herself and how others are judging her because of the accusation at Jacob's door that has unfairly encroached her life and friendship circle.
This would need to pull some seriously adept rabbits out of the hat within the story, to make it anywhere near an 8/10 for me. The style is there but the content is lacking and I'm not sold that Captain America has the acting chops to truly imbue a sense of deep emotion beyond staring into space. Jaeden Martell, however, is far more interesting in never under or overplaying his hand and so, for my money, is the standout here. Pablo Schreiber is a favourite of mine, but thus far is strangled as more than a hapless grasping foil to Even's supposed smarter and witty Andy.

I guess this is a first impressions review since the entire season is not available yet. Why not review after watching entire season. Just like a book where the first 25% is not a good measure and is full of character/story setting - outlining the foundation.

Binge watched this over the weekend as an escape from the insanity of the Jubilee.

Thought it was good overall. A decent storyline that kept the suspension going and thought it was well presented. I liked the ending as well. Only negative was the fractious relationship with the Commonwealth prosecutor which was unnecessary and badly scripted.

I didn't quite get... [NB: major spoiler - don't click unless you have watched all episodes]

When the mother tried to kill Jacob at the end, why did she then seem so concerned about him when she was in the hospital?

Binge watched this over the weekend as an escape from the insanity of the Jubilee.

Thought it was good overall. A decent storyline that kept the suspension going and thought it was well presented. I liked the ending as well. Only negative was the fractious relationship with the Commonwealth prosecutor which was unnecessary and badly scripted.

I didn't quite get... [NB: major spoiler - don't click unless you have watched all episodes]

When the mother tried to kill Jacob at the end, why did she then seem so concerned about him when she was in the hospital?
Just finished it last night. I believe she didn’t seem concerned is because the crash had given her partial amnesia. So she didn’t remember her trying to kill her son and herself.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom