Apple TV+'s The Morning Show Season 1 Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Glad you liked this, Cas. I am WELL into it. It's just very engaging, scene-to-scene and of course once again with TV+'s outstanding 4K stream quality. It was always going to be a hard ask for a subscription fee on the basis of five or six series, only three or four of which likely to appeal to any one person, but I reckon Apple's done it. And I'm as surprised about that as anyone.

It is a good watch and floats between the main day/night news channels in it's ideals of what's appropriate or news worthy for a money making morning show. The points of balance for corporate and social acceptability are perhaps the most interesting to the news show itself; set alongside the ever climbing workers within, who adjust their lines of grey depending on what it means for them - Bradley, as of yet, being the white knight standout.
Crudup is perhaps the most entertaining from a Machiavellian plotting perspective; as the ear bomb dropper to Bradley, along with Mitch and his rage-hard die-hard manner.
You know this will land heavily on the #METOO lines of safety but at least it does show how the women within use that to their advantage, in a none too purely moral point to career advancement. Carell as the baddie, is also given some range in suggesting there are grey areas of badness - notably illustrated with him and Martin Short's brilliantly uncomfortable scene - and how the men and women at the studio were prepared to run with it (or, the latter, sleep with him) while it suited.
Are there interviews with the two female leads going on about how righteous it is with those pay scales..?!

It is a good watch and floats between the main day/night news channels in it's ideals of what's appropriate or news worthy for a money making morning show. The points of balance for corporate and social acceptability are perhaps the most interesting to the news show itself; set alongside the ever climbing workers within, who adjust their lines of grey depending on what it means for them - Bradley, as of yet, being the white knight standout.
Crudup is perhaps the most entertaining from a Machiavellian plotting perspective; as the ear bomb dropper to Bradley, along with Mitch and his rage-hard die-hard manner.
You know this will land heavily on the #METOO lines of safety but at least it does show how the women within use that to their advantage, in a none too purely moral point to career advancement. Carell as the baddie, is also given some range in suggesting there are grey areas of badness - notably illustrated with him and Martin Short's brilliantly uncomfortable scene - and how the men and women at the studio were prepared to run with it (or, the latter, sleep with him) while it suited.
Are there interviews with the two female leads going on about how righteous it is with those pay scales..?!
I agree with every word of this.

I'm really enjoying this. Far more than I thought I would. It's a surprisingly non-preachy and ambiguous look at gender politics. Carell isn't a pantomime creep. It's more a critique of culture than individuals and works really well. Aniston is terrific. I've never really seen her outside of Friends, and the latest episode she's a revelation.

And the picture quality is sublime. Probably the best thing I've seen, streaming or disc. Netflix should be ashamed of themselves.

10 out of 10. Yes, even Men can be victims despite the aggressive Me2 movement. Interesting 1 week after this show was launched the UK CEO of McDonalds had to resign for same nonsense. If the CEO was female, it would be fine. Worlds gone mad.

Thoroughly enjoying this and agree with the previous posts. If it wasn't for the fact I am getting Apple TV+ free for a year would have missed out on a good production. If the other content is as good and the library grows a lot more then may even subscribe after the first year.

Got a bit more soapy this week. Alex as the ever set upon wounded bird with only her vagina crack (!) to elevate things.
Mia's outburst felt far too contrived for my liking - I was half expecting her to break into Gloria Gaynor's, I am what I am.
Once again, we have Bradley as the morally hungry chick open-beaked to accept more; as they dangle a Mitch ear worm for escalation but, with a supposed surprise ally to swallow up ...
Hmm. Bird themed.

Just watched the season finale and wow. This is A1 drama. Anyone on the fence should watch this. The last episode is like a bullet to the heart. Incredible stuff.

It's all got turned around now, hasn't it. I mean, in the 'old days' if you slept with your boss and got a promotion; either through design or his/her 'gifting' it to you then OK/great. Now it's a big act of domination here and you're some helpless pawn to, that bastard! What? He didn't order you flowers and propose the next time s/he saw you? Where's my device to out him/her to the world and then (likes depending) call a lawyer.
The simpler question here would be what did you think could be a result of you not sleeping with them? Your only thought was that you had to let it happen after telling them you liked them too, as they began kissing you. Moreover, a substantial fact here, and it's a big one, is that no one ever got fired due to not sleeping with them. So, where's the real threat to saying no? You could've said no or not gone along with the alleged advances at any stage. Instead, when the flowers and confessions of love never came what did you do? You ran to the president of the corporation crying and accepted a promotion saying, this is how it works.
Defense rests.
Let's see a show ever dare air something like that now.

I liked what happened in the finale but it's all got a bit forced now with them wanting their cake and eating it to. One minute they're helpless pawns and the next not and back n' forth. All the will she, won't she felt fake by the time it was finally cooked up and the studio duo went so OTT to ever be seen again on TV would be a miracle - even in this era.
Series two (I'm assuming there is one) would have to be The Nightly Show now, surely?
Are they dragging this on? Is Mitch's head-in-hands to what happened a basic acknowledgement of a loss and will he simply bounce back still heading his in-mind charge of self righteousness? I kind of hope so; as Carell was great and considering this was pretty much a female biased show, so was Crudup as a standout performance.

It's all got turned around now, hasn't it. I mean, in the 'old days' if you slept with your boss and got a promotion; either through design or his/her 'gifting' it to you then OK/great. Now it's a big act of domination here and you're some helpless pawn to, that bastard! What? He didn't order you flowers and propose the next time s/he saw you? Where's my device to out him/her to the world and then (likes depending) call a lawyer.
The simpler question here would be what did you think could be a result of you not sleeping with them? Your only thought was that you had to let it happen after telling them you liked them too, as they began kissing you. Moreover, a substantial fact here, and it's a big one, is that no one ever got fired due to not sleeping with them. So, where's the real threat to saying no? You could've said no or not gone along with the alleged advances at any stage. Instead, when the flowers and confessions of love never came what did you do? You ran to the president of the corporation crying and accepted a promotion saying, this is how it works.
Defense rests.
Let's see a show ever dare air something like that now.

I liked what happened in the finale but it's all got a bit forced now with them wanting their cake and eating it to. One minute they're helpless pawns and the next not and back n' forth. All the will she, won't she felt fake by the time it was finally cooked up and the studio duo went so OTT to ever be seen again on TV would be a miracle - even in this era.
Series two (I'm assuming there is one) would have to be The Nightly Show now, surely?
Are they dragging this on? Is Mitch's head-in-hands to what happened a basic acknowledgement of a loss and will he simply bounce back still heading his in-mind charge of self righteousness? I kind of hope so; as Carell was great and considering this was pretty much a female biased show, so was Crudup as a standout performance.
Well, I respect your point of view, but it’s one lacking personal experience, some empathy, and based on one false premise and one false assumption. I’ve bolded the false premise. Just a quick Google will settle that, it has happened thousands of times, most notably in the Weinstein cases where actresses were blacklisted in the industry for refusing his advances. And that’s not ‘he said she said’ — it’s been proven beyond doubt in the courts.

Your false assumption is the classic ‘why didn’t she say anything at the time’? And in this you are misunderstanding fear and power, and the propensity of good people to consider whether they are the ones at fault and whether that constitutes a firm basis to battle someone with many times more power than they have.

It’s a shame, to me, as the son of a mother murdered by a man who wielded power over her, and she never finding the courage to speak out before the event, that when the point is so poetically and carefully put, as here, it flew completely over your head.

Last edited:
Well, I respect your point of view, but it’s one lacking personal experience, some empathy, and based on one false premise and one false assumption. I’ve bolded the false premise. Just a quick Google will settle that, it has happened thousands of times, most notably in the Weinstein cases where actresses were blacklisted in the industry for refusing his advances. And that’s not ‘he said she said’ — it’s been proven beyond doubt in the courts.

Your false assumption is the classic ‘why didn’t she say anything at the time’? And in this you are misunderstanding fear and power, and the propensity of good people to consider whether they are the ones at fault and whether that constitutes a firm basis to battle someone with many times more power than they have.

It’s a shame, to me, as the son of a mother murdered by a man who wielded power over her, and she never finding the courage to speak out before the event, that when the point is so poetically and carefully put, as here, it flew completely over your head.
Firstly, I'm talking with specific reference to this fictional show and the story it put forth. Mitch isn't some Harvey character and the way things went with Hannah in Vegas could've been read that she was OK at the time by him. She even said she liked him as he was kissing her. Was it wrong of him, probably. But should he be destroyed? He is more of a Lothario than clear rapist/molester.
The trouble is, that this is pushing a court of public opinion and; as the show earlier put forward with Mitch and Dick, that one is clearly not the other but each will be branded in like with the fervor of the times. Is that empathetic, fair or just? Hannah is a tragedy for sure. There is no doubting or questioning that.
Secondly, I can only offer the deepest of sympathies for your, your family's and friends experiences.

Firstly, I'm talking with specific reference to this fictional show and the story it put forth. Mitch isn't some Harvey character and the way things went with Hannah in Vegas could've been read that she was OK at the time by him. She even said she liked him as he was kissing her. Was it wrong of him, probably. But should he be destroyed? He is more of a Lothario than clear rapist/molester.
The trouble is, that this is pushing a court of public opinion and; as the show earlier put forward with Mitch and Dick, that one is clearly not the other but each will be branded in like with the fervor of the times. Is that empathetic, fair or just? Hannah is a tragedy for sure. There is no doubting or questioning that.
Secondly, I can only offer the deepest of sympathies for your, your family's and friends experiences.
Well, here we are talking about it. So it’s done its job to some extent.

Last edited:
I find it hard these days to commit to TV shows because my time is limited these days.

But when we got the free year trial of ATV+, we gave this a shot, just finished the finale and my goodness what an absolutely sensational show it ended up being.

Everyone in it was absolutely fantastic.

Highly recommended viewing if you ask me.

Watched the first two episodes last night and I'm hooked.
First-class acting and high production values with a sublime pic quality. 👍

I can only echo the comments here, this series is the best I've seen in years and what a performance from the female leads in particular.
I'm up to around EP5 (I think). How the heck as an actor do you cry and get your bottom lip to tremble...that scene when Reece Witherspoon after leaving the bar and is talking to her dad on the phone, absolute bliss.
Like others here, if Apple can keep up this quality of their shows I may just keep up my subscription when my free period ends.
EDIT.
Finished this last night. 10/10 from me and my wife, best acting I've seen in years brilliantly done.

Last edited:
Gave this a second go after only watching the first two last year, absolutely great show, top acting on such a dark and relevant subject. Hope they do a second season.

There’s definitely going to be a second season, not sure when we’re going to see it though. Not too long I hope.

The final episode was just brilliant.

I look forward to a 2nd season but unsure where they go from here.

It started off a little shouty and flashy. But I went with it and was hooked very early on. I loved the mob drama style with all of the power grabbing and back stabbing. The show touches on some controversial topics regarding consent and progressing up the corporate chain, which are likely to divide audiences. It is all ruthlessly dramatic though and has a highly satisfying season finale. It would be interesting to see where the show goes from here.

The image quality is seriously good. The NY cityscape in HDR; specular highlights aplenty.

I'm not the biggest Apple fan boy but ATV+ is starting to become my go-to streaming platform.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom