Apple TV+ service

D

Deleted member 27989

Only just launched, yet I’m impressed with the quality of the early original programming.

Good quality 4K streaming complete with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

Initial shows like Mankind for All nicely show it off. Dolby Vision is great, with the dark and bright scenes. And the Dolby Atmos sound track got some good oomph to it, with some nice bass as well.

watched the first 2 eps of mankind and agree the picture and sound quality was good

will watch the rest on the weeks free trial

I'm only interested in one show and that is For all Mankind. However £4.99 for one show is too much, the rest of the content is not to my taste.

I'm only interested in one show and that is For all Mankind. However £4.99 for one show is too much, the rest of the content is not to my taste.
Then watch it quickly during your trial period. I have a years trial :)

I bought my box in july so only 1 week trial

seems a bit unfair so wont subscribe after trial

Is this supposed to come on Xbox One/PS4 at some point? I'm not at all into the Apple ecosystem, just own a barely functional iPad 2 but I'm interested in the service. Surely competing with the likes of Netflix/Prime means making the app available everywhere?

I bought my box in july so only 1 week trial

seems a bit unfair so wont subscribe after trial

I can understand they have to draw the line somewhere, but I feel the same, purchased iPad pro 11 and apple tv 4k box early in the Summer and I only get a 1 week trial as well.

Would of been nice if they extended the offer to purchases made in the last 12 months or something.

This especially when you hear people saying they haven't purchased anything in ages and are getting a year free of apple tv+.

agreed totally - I have bought 20 movies since I bought my box in july and still 1 week trial - poor

perhaps I should sell my box and buy another one

I buy movies pretty much every week, nothing here either. Very disappointing.

shame as the 2 free to watch eps of the for all mankind were impresive

does anyone one know if you can buy 1 month and then cancel?

I can understand they have to draw the line somewhere, but I feel the same, purchased iPad pro 11 and apple tv 4k box early in the Summer and I only get a 1 week trial as well.

Would of been nice if they extended the offer to purchases made in the last 12 months or something.

This especially when you hear people saying they haven't purchased anything in ages and are getting a year free of apple tv+.
Agree. Bought new iPad end of august, and the AW 5 with cellular last month

ii haven't watched a whole series but probably not anymore

the only series I have bought on blu ray was GOT

the production value seems comparable to Netflix but the amount of content does not seem to worth a subscription yet

Quick question I have bought my eldest daughter a iPhone 11 for Christmas will the free one year apple+ still be available then ?

Quick question I have bought my eldest daughter a iPhone 11 for Christmas will the free one year apple+ still be available then ?
Three months from the purchase of the device I believe. (Don't know why I believe this mind, think someone had asked a question about signing up for the free trial in 360 days time, hoping to get more content in year 2 and I believe this was the response.)

Three months from the purchase of the device I believe. (Don't know why I believe this mind, think someone had asked a question about signing up for the free trial in 360 days time, hoping to get more content in year 2 and I believe this was the response.)
Thanks might just get onto apple or switch the thing on register it and away I go.
Is it device specific or account specific do you know.
I.e I would have to watch on that device or could I sign in on the app with an apple ID.
It's been a while since I've had an apple product

Thanks might just get onto apple or switch the thing on register it and away I go.
Is it device specific or account specific do you know.
I.e I would have to watch on that device or could I sign in on the app with an apple ID.
It's been a while since I've had an apple product
A combination of a qualifying device and the iCloud is. Please note that if you activate using the iCloud of your daughter she may be able to see the devices on her iCloud page ;)

I spent this weekend watching everything on Apple TV+ bar the kid’s stuff, and I came away very impressed. Dickinson, See, The Morning Show, For All Mankind — there’s not one duffer among them.

Apple has clearly put a large amount of effort into video and audio quality with every show here, too. See, with Jason Momoa, has some of the best images and audio I have ever seen or heard — especially impressive for streaming rather than disc. Beyond presenting content in 4KHDR and Dolby Atmos, Apple TV+ has really gone to town on ensuring those formats are used to their fullest, with properly calibrated black levels and constant and engaging use of surround and height channels. See is demo material.

Sure, Netflix offers the same features, but I simply haven’t seen anything on Netflix that looks and sounds as good as most of what Apple presents here. It’s clear that Apple has set out to trump its competitors among the video/audiophile evangelists. Folk like us who will recognise the effort made and spread the word among the casual viewers.

It is a shame that we only get the first three episodes of each show with the remainder eeked out one episode a week. I have watched them all and wanted to see more in every case. But, I respect the fact that Apple needs to provide reasons for people to keep their subscriptions and with only a handful of shows this is the only realistic way to kick things off. However, it’s also indicative that new shows are likely to be sparse.

Apple’s statement, made here in its opening salvo, appears to be that quality will trump quantity. It’s the HBO model more than it is Netflix, and a statement I personally agree with. Its biggest problem in 2020, then, will be providing enough content to keep us all subscribed. One would think, being Apple, financing that shouldn’t be a problem. We shall see.

Totally agree. Don't know whether your setup is Dolby Vision compatible, but that is another element. It is some of the very best I've seen. Netflix was there early on, and it was good, but this is at another level. First time I've felt that online streaming could match my Oppo.

Totally agree. Don't know whether your setup is Dolby Vision compatible, but that is another element. It is some of the very best I've seen. Netflix was there early on, and it was good, but this is at another level. First time I've felt that online streaming could match my Oppo.
No. I'm a projector user, but it is very high end. Dolby Vision, and HDR to some extent, are irrelevant to me. However, with the dynamic iris/laser light modulation dual contrast engine in my Sony VPL-VW760ES it's not needed. A lot of 4K stuff on Netflix is upscaled. There is just so much more detail when natively shot and mastered — obviously the case on the Apple TV+ shows. But beyond that, Apple has taken the time to properly tune the peaks and blacks — something that Netflix, more often than not, fails to do. Just take a look at Netflix's latest movie King after watching See. Blacks are elevated, highlights subdued by comparison. Netflix so often fails to go that extra mile in post.

As I say, it's also some of the best Atmos I've ever heard (See and Dickinson especially). Very impressed.

I haven't seen Dickinson, but totally agree on See regarding Atmos. Also wholly agree on the work to tune the peaks and blacks, it is really well balanced. Even simple scenes where people are in a car in the dark; they are some of the most natural-looking I've ever seen.

I haven't seen Dickinson, but totally agree on See regarding Atmos. Also wholly agree on the work to tune the peaks and blacks, it is really well balanced. Even simple scenes where people are in a car in the dark; they are some of the most natural-looking I've ever seen.

You should try Dickinson, even if you don't think it's your cup of tea. It's actually very engaging and funny.

Is it possible to download any of the TV programs and films in 4k etc and watch later or is streaming the only choice??

Is it possible to download any of the TV programs and films in 4k etc and watch later or is streaming the only choice??

You cannot download 4K content – same as on every other service. Out of interest, why would you want to?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom