Apple TV Users - What is your 4k demo material ?

catcher

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what your 4k DV / HDR10 demo material is - whether a whole movie or particular scene.

I have a 65” Sony OLED and have to say my demo material are some of the HDR YouTube videos run on the native app. What would you recommend for “wow” factor on ATV?

Apollo 11 is pretty darn splendid, as is Gemini Man.

For a 4k DV (and atmos) demo I use Ready Player One (the scene near the start when they are racing)

The Revenant is also good to show how sharp and detailed a 4K film can be

Le Mans 66 . great film , looks and sounds great.

Star Trek reboot films look and sound fantastic.
Both Blade Runner films also great

The original Blade Runner has elevated blacks in the Apple TV release. It looks very, very broken. Watch the UHD disc, it looks wonderful and is mastered correctly.

John Wick 3 probably has the best HDR I've seen so far, it really makes a huge difference. But... It's not in 4k, it's an upscale. For real 4K try Dunkirk, 2001, or Leon. Blade Runner 2049 is almost 4K (3.5k if memory serves), and it looks nice and clean, but it's not in HDR.

The original Blade Runner has elevated blacks in the Apple TV release. It looks very, very broken. Watch the UHD disc, it looks wonderful and is mastered correctly.

it looks far less broken now since the stream was updated to include atmos

it looks far less broken now since the stream was updated to include atmos

I had a look at it out of curiosity about a month ago and it still looked terrible. Those opening credits should be on pure OLED black. The iTunes version is nowhere near that.

Also on an oled. I can only see elevated blacks in a darkened room now which, despite being unacceptable, is a great deal better than the mid grey opening credits I used to see!

YouTube at 480p SDR. :laugh:

YouTube at 480p SDR. :laugh:

Funny you should mention YoiTube. Obviously the compression is off the scale so it never looks clean, but there are some HDR10 4K movie trailer channels which can still look pretty good. They're especially good on my PC's1000nit ultrawide, as they pretty much fill the screen and the HDR really pops. Shame about all the FALD blooming, but such is the way with old school LCDs.

Funny you should mention YoiTube. Obviously the compression is off the scale so it never looks clean, but there are some HDR10 4K movie trailer channels which can still look pretty good. They're especially good on my PC's1000nit ultrawide, as they pretty much fill the screen and the HDR really pops. Shame about all the FALD blooming, but such is the way with old school LCDs.

Sadly YouTube is without HDR on ATV. Also the search bar is horrendous. So sticking to the YouTube app in my TV.

I have subscribed to most of the HDR channels. Most of them are streaming at high bit rates and they look good.

If you got ATV+ then the ‘Long Way Up’ has amazing scenery shots in 4K DV and the sound is pretty good as well. Amazing really as quite a bit of the footage is filmed from the back of a motor bike - george

My favourite and show off to friends is on my YouTube app on my LG OLED is 4K HDR Night Walk in Tokyo Shibuya-Fall 2020
Or 4K HDR Tokyo Night Walk in Shinjuku East-Japan.
I dare you not to swear when it plays.
Its like you are there.
Check it out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom