Apple TV vs PS4 Pro streaming quality

cybersoga

I have just got an Apple TV after having used a PS4 Pro as my primary streaming device connected to a 4K HDR capable screen. I was surprised to find so many differences between them and I thought i'd share.

Apple TV is able to match frame rate to content. PS4 Pro doesn't do that with any of its streaming apps. Video playback is much smoother on the Apple TV.

BBC iPlayer
Apple TV looks better than the PS4 Pro on both live TV and VOD.
PS4 Pro has some UHD content such His Dark Materials and Dracula which is not present on the Apple TV. UHD content on the PS4 Pro plays back in 4k without HDR.

Disney+
Disney+ works perfectly on Apple TV, outputting 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos to when appropriate. PS4 Pro has massive issues - the audio language is often wrong, it takes 2 mins to start streaming at the highest quality after starting to watch something and it doesn't support HDR or Dolby Atmos.

Youtube
Youtube on the PS4 Pro plays 4K videos at the full 4K quality, and even switches to HDR when the video is HDR. It might be the best device for Youtube.
Apple TV sadly doesn't playback 4K videos in their highest quality.

So, a bit of a mixed bag but the Apple TV generally does a far better job apart from Youtube.

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
The only reason the ATV doesn't do 4K YT is because Apple backed HEVC over VP9.

Youtube uses VP9 10-bit for 4K HDR videos, the PS4 Pro supports this via hardware decoding (newer AMD GPU) but the ATV does not (built off older generation iPhone chip).

Given the processing power in the ATV playing at least 4K SDR VP9 video would be possible via CPU software decoding but most likely Apple will just go with a newer ATV which supports for AV1, the new codec designed to replace HEVC and VP9, Youtube is already using AV1 for up to 8K content.

Playstation has no Dolby Vision or Atmos support.

Many 4K TV's have YT 4K support these days, no need to use Playstation for it.

cybersoga

Just to add, Amazon prime is almost identical on PS4 Pro and Apple TV apart from Amazon prime doesn't support HDR on the PS4 Pro

Kotatsu Neko

I have just got an Apple TV after having used a PS4 Pro as my primary streaming device connected to a 4K HDR capable screen. I was surprised to find so many differences between them and I thought i'd share.

Apple TV is able to match frame rate to content. PS4 Pro doesn't do that with any of its streaming apps. Video playback is much smoother on the Apple TV.

BBC iPlayer
Apple TV has far higher quality HD streams for both live TV and recorded shows than the PS4 Pro. Apple TV looks like 1080p (although compressed higher than freesat), PS4 Pro looks something between SD and 720p. PS4 Pro does have some UHD content such His Dark Materials and Dracula which is not present on the Apple TV. UHD content on the PS4 Pro plays back in 4k without HDR.
iPlayer is 720p on the Apple TV as well, but it will frame rate match to 25fps so it looks a little nicer. Still massively over compressed and only in stereo of course. I doubt we'll ever see iPlayer 4K on the Apple TV. The iPlayer app on the Apple TV is very out of date and updates to it are incredibly rare. It's virtually abandonware.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom