Apple Watch: The best app thread.

muzzi

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As there are something like 2000 apple watch compatible apps already out there, I thought it may be a good idea to start a 'best apps' thread.

I'll contribute starting with.

Tuned In Pro. - Choose your preset streams & adjust volume from your A-Watch. Sweet!

I quite like the dark skies app and also the Tesco bank app is quite good for checking your balance if you are a Tesco customer

Is there such an app to show you live train times? Would be good if you can setup a certain train to see if it's on time or late on a glances screen.

Yeh, the train line app does that

Thanks! So how does that work in relation to the watch. Do you open the trainline app on the watch and you can set it to show certain train journeys, Ideally im only interested in 2 journeys and if they're on time.

The watch app shows something like the last five journeys you searched for on your phone. So if you are only keeping an eye on one or two trains should always be there.

Pretty sure the watch app tells you what train is at the platform too

The watch app shows something like the last five journeys you searched for on your phone. So if you are only keeping an eye on one or two trains should always be there.

Pretty sure the watch app tells you what train is at the platform too

just opened up the app to check and it came up with this

1JyZQQsl.png

ViewRanger GPS, komoot, Gala GPS, Trails, Hike, myAltitiude all have Apps compatible with the watch. I have no idea if they are any good as I can't stand hiking (!), I just did a search for hiking in the store in the Apple Watch app. Hope that helps.

Trainline app has stopped working. Was ok this morning on the watch but now i get the loading circle for a few seconds then just a blank screen and time in the top right :(

I asked my chauffeur what a train was but neither of us knew.

Well, I remember watching old Tom the gamekeeper getting overly friendly with one of our Brecknock Hill Cheviots.

ViewRanger GPS, komoot, Gala GPS, Trails, Hike, myAltitiude all have Apps compatible with the watch. I have no idea if they are any good as I can't stand hiking (!), I just did a search for hiking in the store in the Apple Watch app. Hope that helps.
Thanks,
downloaded runtastic in the end.

Was ok, walked 18km, and it tracked our rout, time and time per km very well. The only problem was I forgot to stop the rout before we got in the car and drive home. It thinks we walked 58 km in 5 hours :)

There are apps that enable you to control Powerpoint and keynote - but for your phone only. I really don't get why anyone would want to control these on their phone via an apple watch - but if there was a way to control them on my mac via the watch that would be excellent.....

You can AirPlay the phone to Apple TV. One of those connected to a projector and it would work fine. I agree though would be good to link straight to the laptop.

Does anyone that has a watch have Weather Pro on theirs?

I see they released an update for the watch but would like to know if anyone has tried it yet

It's a fantastic App which I use very regularly and is pretty spot on all the time

Yep I use weather pro on the iPhone, have done since it was released years ago.

Not sure about the Watch app, they have kind of tried to do something new by using rings to show likelihood of sun/rain/wind by colour throughout the day.

if I'm honest I prefer the apple one, but maybe it will convert me...

Anyone found a good way to look up the latest watch app updates?

Finding the iPhone app a bit clunky, as it only displays featured items. Doesn't seem to be a display all by date released. Nothing in the App store yet that is watch specific from what I can see.

There's an App Store within the Apple Watch app that only displays watch apps. If you get what I mean.

Yup that's what I meant was clunky. Everything is categorised, just want a clean list by date like you can do in the normal App Store.

Not much success finding anything on line, guess it's early days.

Shazam is a good Watch App. Does one thing well: identifies songs and nothing else. It also loads at a reasonable speed. It's the only 3rd party app that's stayed in my "glances" so far.

Tesco is a good banking app (if you use them) and "glancing" your balance is nice. But, how often do you really do this and do you want to wait for it to load and accidentally show it to someone as you're "glancing" at something else? Probably not. Best kept as an app you pull up from the app screen.

Dark Skies is a good weather app for finding out what's going to happen in the hour (basically answering the question "can I go for a walk/run/pop to the shops). Both of these can be slow to load though. For weather, the built in app is actually very good and probably best, with Dark Skies as a fall back. Weather, you can have as a complication on the watch face and tap that to view details (and double tap the crown to go back to the watch face). It has a nice view of the next 10 hours and scroll down for 10 day forecast.

One Football is the best football app on the phone and it works great on the watch too. There's no real need to have it in glances. Firstly, because your team probably only plays once per week on average and secondly because the push notifications are so reliable for goals anyway. The app itself is good, giving you clear and intuitive scores in your selected leagues and competitions.

I've found myself putting only 1-2 apps 3rd party in glances that I use often or want to get to quickly. Shazam and Dark Skies. Then it's heart rate (I'm curious a lot about what it is - it's a novelty). Then music controls and settings. I think you need to keep glances to a minimum, otherwise, they're out of control and too many to get through to find what you want - which defeats the purpose.

I put fitness and built-in weather as a complication on the watch face, so I can tap those and go straight to the app. A double tap of the crown will take you back to the watch.

On the app screen, I carefully lay out the apps so that the ones I want are right there in the middle, around the Watch face app (if you tap the crown once, it will hope to the watch face app). Tesco, Timer, Messages, Workout, One Football - with lesser stuff pushed out around the edges.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom