Apple Watch warranty period

eamon

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife's S4 is playing up, it got replaced by Apple a few months back due to charging issues. The replacement is also having charging issues plus it doesn't stay connected to the iPhone and activities end intermittently. We have unpaired it and set it up as a new device with no change. We took it in store yesterday and they done all they can, which admittedly isn't a lot with a Watch! They offered to send it away but as the issues were intermittent it would probably be hard for them to replicate and in any case it was out of warranty and would cost just shy on £300 to fix/replace. I was under the impression that items purchased from Apple were covered for 2 years against manufacturing defects under EU law but they were adamant it was only 1 year. Now I'm sure in the past I've had items sorted under warranty that were over 1 year at the time. Have Apple changed their warranty or have I just been very lucky in the past? Thanks

My wife's S4 is playing up, it got replaced by Apple a few months back due to charging issues. The replacement is also having charging issues plus it doesn't stay connected to the iPhone and activities end intermittently. We have unpaired it and set it up as a new device with no change. We took it in store yesterday and they done all they can, which admittedly isn't a lot with a Watch! They offered to send it away but as the issues were intermittent it would probably be hard for them to replicate and in any case it was out of warranty and would cost just shy on £300 to fix/replace. I was under the impression that items purchased from Apple were covered for 2 years against manufacturing defects under EU law but they were adamant it was only 1 year. Now I'm sure in the past I've had items sorted under warranty that were over 1 year at the time. Have Apple changed their warranty or have I just been very lucky in the past? Thanks
I think if you buy direct from Apple they do give you two year, at least that's what I recall...but anywhere else might be one year. If it is a fault you can prove was always present of course you can claim under UK Consumer law...they replaced my 5-year old S0 when the screen popped off

I think if you buy direct from Apple they do give you two year, at least that's what I recall...but anywhere else might be one year. If it is a fault you can prove was always present of course you can claim under UK Consumer law...they replaced my 5-year old S0 when the screen popped off
Thanks, I thought that was the case and yes it was purchased direct from Apple, think I'll have a web chat or phone call and try again.

I think I've visited the Genius Bar three or four times in ten years. On at least two of them I've been told to buy from Apple direct because they'll give you two years versus one if bought elsewhere. Not that I've ever had it in writing or anything.

Thanks, I thought that was the case and yes it was purchased direct from Apple, think I'll have a web chat or phone call and try again.
certainly wont hurt....

If this was the case why would anyone pay £89 for Warranty+?
Because people are happy to part with their hard-earned money for no good reason?

There is an EU directive that covered goods for up to 6 years in England and 5 years in Scotland, but due to the failings of the Sales of Goods act, good luck getting anything over the basic warranty.

Which? - formerly the Consumers Association - says consumers should argue strongly with retailers when a product breaks down within six years. The Sale of Goods Act doesn't define how long specific products should last, because different products have different life spans. But a survey by Which? of manufacturers into how long they believe different types of appliance should last made interesting reading. All of them said their goods should last five years or more.

If this was the case why would anyone pay £89 for Warranty+?
because AC+ gives you an instant replacement and covers things like water damage and accidental damage which UKCL does not

because AC+ gives you an instant replacement and covers things like water damage and accidental damage which UKCL does not
Granted I can see the advantage for accidental damage cover but if it’s faulty then replacement or money back under UKCL.
Apple watches are water resistant so water damage shouldn’t happen and if it did then that would also be covered under UKCL under faulty manufacture.

Granted I can see the advantage for accidental damage cover but if it’s faulty then replacement or money back under UKCL.
Apple watches are water resistant so water damage shouldn’t happen and if it did then that would also be covered under UKCL under faulty manufacture.
I don’t disagree with you but Apple do re water damage. Also have no idea how that can be the case but they’d argue that the watch took an impact affecting the seals. The buyer would need to prove otherwise and im
Not sure how that’s possible.

as I said, Apple, in my case the seller, replaced my 5 year old watch when the screen popped off as it was a known issue.

think you’d be fighting for anything else With Apple they’ve not stated is an issue (a bit like them replacing my phone recently for the ghost touch issue)

Apple are one of the good ones but if you’ve bought from, elsewhere, good luck

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom