Question ARCAM 390 v ARCAM 550

High Fidelity

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to use Processor front pre-out for music, into my stereo amplifier which has HT by pass will there be any SQ difference between the 390 & 550 from the front speakers.

No. The only difference between those two models is the output from the internal power amps. Did you get the Arcam 390 as a home demo, how is it?

Once you have setup Dirac Live (It will take a significant amount of time to set it up correctly) try using the 390 for music instead of the stereo amp, as unless you like the room sound the Arcam should give you a better overall sound. (I assume the stereo amp is being used for other items rather than just as a power amp for the Arcam)

The 550 will give you greater headroom if you have inefficient speakers or a large room, but otherwise there is no difference between the 390, 550 or 850 on the processor side.

Bill

Once you have setup Dirac Live (It will take a significant amount of time to set it up correctly) try using the 390 for music instead of the stereo amp, as unless you like the room sound the Arcam should give you a better overall sound. (I assume the stereo amp is being used for other items rather than just as a power amp for the Arcam)

The 550 will give you greater headroom if you have inefficient speakers or a large room, but otherwise there is no difference between the 390, 550 or 850 on the processor side.

Bill
My room is acoustically very good and I do not intend to use Dirac, The Arcam 390 will be underpowered to drive my PMC. 25.26 speakers. Furthermmore my Class AB stereo amp has excellent sound and I prefer it to Arcam Class G P49 amp which I soon sold on. Its only the Arcam pre-pro that I want to compare with the Yamaha 1070. pre-pro .

Worth trying Dirac all the same while you have it on demo, despite having a good room acoustically. You never know you might be surprised.

Bill
I'd consider the 390 or 550 if my Denon 6200 gave up the ghost although I would still use the Rega Elicit for music and to drive the front stereo stage.

I have heard Dirac improves even treated rooms significantly for music as well as movies. be interesting to see how your treated room looks after an analysis. I have seen treated rooms with massive curves in the 60-150hz range even when fully treated.

The 390 only has 7 channel processing is that correct?

The 550 has 11 like the 850?

The 390 only has 7 channel processing is that correct?

The 550 has 11 like the 850?
No, they have all got 7 onboard power amps, but not re-assignable, except for the last 2 channels which can be rear surround / heights / zone 2. All have processing and pre-outs for 7.1.4.

No. The only difference between those two models is the output from the internal power amps. Did you get the Arcam 390 as a home demo, how is it?
Surely toroidal power supply of the 550 pre-pro should enable it to sound better than the 390 pre-pro ? Have now got the 390 AVR and will set it up tomorrow.

Dirac Live is one of the biggest bonuses of the Arcam, and so not to set it up is a crime, you can still use your stereo amp with Dirac as it’s all done in the processor; however you will need to change your sources to the AVR to see if it gives an improvement with music over your stereo amp

Bill

Surely toroidal power supply of the 550 pre-pro should enable it to sound better than the 390 pre-pro ? Have now got the 390 AVR and will set it up tomorrow.
Does the 390 not have a toroidal power supply? Either way, it is not a given that a pre-amp or a power amp with a toroidal transformer will definitely sound better than one without. There are many more factors that influence how the audio sounds by the time it reaches the listener's ears. Although toroidals are nice to have.

Interestingly the Behringer A500 stereo power amp has a 600 watt toroidal power supply and is £160!

No, they have all got 7 onboard power amps, but not re-assignable, except for the last 2 channels which can be rear surround / heights / zone 2. All have processing and pre-outs for 7.1.4.

I know they all have 7 channels on board but thought the 390 could only process 7 channels not 11. That’s interesting.

Oh, that's exciting, aye? :)
Just had a quick listen Arcam 390 , sounds brighter than Yamaha 1070,(may give long term listening fatigue) can not find how to switch off power from remote, will continue listening for a few days before I decide, anyway does not have problem experienced with Marantz whereby the lead from pre-out to stereo amp has to be removed before using other functions on integrated amp. with HT bypass.

Last edited:
Just had a quick listen Arcam 390 , sounds brighter than Yamaha 1070,(may give long term listening fatigue) can not find how to switch off power from remote, will continue listening for a few days before I decide, anyway does not have problem experienced with Marantz whereby the lead from pre-out to stereo amp has to be removed before using other functions on integrated amp. with HT bypass.
Using other functions? I have the Rega connected from the pre-outs of the Denon and usage either as part of the 5.1.2 or the Rega as a standalone amp for music is seamless. Care to elaborate.

Interesting. How long do you have the demo unit for and are you going to try DIRAC?

Using other functions? I have the Rega connected from the pre-outs of the Denon and usage either as part of the 5.1.2 or the Rega as a standalone amp for music is seamless. Care to elaborate.
With the lead in place I either got hum or no sound. I was using my integrated stereo with Technics tuner connected. Removing lead solved problem. Complained to Marantz technical and all they woud explain was how their AVR worked and it

Marantz customer support say Further to your enquiry re SR7012 same amplifier design as SR6011 (This was the AVR I returned for refund) For front L & R pre-out in/off standby, signal is grounded and this represents a short-circuit of the output. This is intention and for additional protection of connected power amp (since a short circuited input gives best safety in case of no signal}. the grounding is done by a relay and represents a very safe and high quality method.

Obviously Yamaha , Sony & Arcam do not use this method as I get no problem of having to remove connecting lead from AVR pre-out to my integrated stereo amp.

Interesting. How long do you have the demo unit for and are you going to try DIRAC?
Have demo unit for I week ,not interested in Dirac. just played some mch SACDs and find sound bright, prefer mellow sound of Yamaha easier to listen to and better operating system.

Last edited:
interesting. are you listening in direct on the 1070 or has it been configured with ypao?

I take it your listening in 2.0?

Have demo unit for I week ,not interested in Dirac. just played some mch SACDs and find sound bright, prefer mellow sound of Yamaha easier to listen to and better operating system.

You are completely, absolutely missing the point if you are not using Dirac room correction on the Arcam.

Think of it this way, all professional systems and installs (Including those that have optimised room acoustics) always without exception use room correction software, ((Hence the reason they take the sound to the next level) so not to use a top notch system like Dirac when you have it is nonsensical.

Bill

interesting. are you listening in direct on the 1070 or has it been configured with ypao?

I take it your listening in 2.0?
Setup by dealer using microphone so assume this is ypao, I instructed dealer to reduce volume from rear speakers.

Last edited:
In all fairness your comparison is not really a reliable source of information. your comparing an out the box avr vs a calibrated avr. that brightness could be caused by a lot of things.

If your happy with your 1070 then that's great; however you really should compare them on an even playing ground.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom