Arcam 390 vs. NAD 758v3 - Current pros and cons of each

pdxrealtor

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a current list of pros and cons of each the Arcam 390 and the NAD 758v3. It's hard to identify pros and cons for each when trying to piece it all together from multiple threads.... some lasting trip digit pages.

Anyone have a current rundown?

Example -
Arcam has only one slot for Dirac, Nad has three. Con for Arcam, Pro for NAD

Arcam has HDR 10 , NAD has HDR 10+, Con Arcam, pro NAD

Arcam has 1 Dirac slot (vs NAD's 3)
Arcam has a global crossover, one for the base layer and one for height layer (NAD has a crossover per speaker/pair)
Arcam has weird crossover slopes, one 12dB and one 24dB (NAD has two matched crossover slopes, both 24dB/oct, creating a flat line)
Arcam is far more expensive than the NAD

Arcam has IMAX Enhanced (but that does nothing, so who cares)
Arcam has AirPlay, and Spotify Connect - the NAD has BluOS which supports everything under the sun except AirPlay (although I believe the NAD T778 will support AirPlay 2)
Arcam has an Ethernet port built in, but you can get an adapter for the NAD for ~£10
The NAD has no OSD overlay (as is passes the video straight through without touching it)

Both support HDR10 and Dolby Vision, HDR10+ I'm not sure

I used to have an AVR550, I got the NAD, did some blind A/B testing and they sounded identical, so I kept the NAD and saved some money :)

Arcam has 1 Dirac slot (vs NAD's 3)
Arcam has a global crossover, one for the base layer and one for height layer (NAD has a crossover per speaker/pair)
Arcam has weird crossover slopes, one 12dB and one 24dB (NAD has two matched crossover slopes, both 24dB/oct, creating a flat line)
Arcam is far more expensive than the NAD

Arcam has IMAX Enhanced (but that does nothing, so who cares)
Arcam has AirPlay, and Spotify Connect - the NAD has BluOS which supports everything under the sun except AirPlay (although I believe the NAD T778 will support AirPlay 2)
Arcam has an Ethernet port built in, but you can get an adapter for the NAD for ~£10
The NAD has no OSD overlay (as is passes the video straight through without touching it)

Both support HDR10 and Dolby Vision, HDR10+ I'm not sure

I used to have an AVR550, I got the NAD, did some blind A/B testing and they sounded identical, so I kept the NAD and saved some money :)
Slots - huge hold up for me. I wish there was a dirac app for Arcam like the NAD. This would allow a way to easily load projects from your phone.

I'm mixed on the crossover thing. I've always just stuck with global 80 hz. I think my current speakers support this just fine. Where I think I might be missing out is adjust the crossover point higher or lower to combat room modes. Toss up

Are the slopes still 12/24? I read about a work around using Dirac slopes, but no idea if that even exists at this point

I got the Arcam 390 for 100.00 less than the NAD after the full Dirac license so not too bad in my case.

Imax enhances - agreed. Actually it's a turn off for me. Pun intended.

I was looking at adding a chromecast audio or other chromecast device to the AVR for music. I don't stream much so this would be a when I get board type of thing.

I have the Ethernet adapter hooked up to my NAD and it works. I took the wi-fi dongle off.

Arcam - no HDR 10+ - waiting to hear back on if that may be in an update. Not sure on the NAD.

Hmmm... after all that the biggest issue, a side from it working like it was designed to work, is only having one dirac slot.

So, sounds like this is a pretty stable running unit at this point?

I thought I was sure. I'll have to see if I can find where I saw that.

Apologies if this is incorrect information.

Nad does not have hdr 10+. I was wrong.

Re: the crossover slope is it a 24 dB hpf and 12 db lpf? ....
If so, can this problem be solved by cascading two 12 dB slopes to create a 24 dB slope? I was thinking I could use the lpf in the avr, 12 db slope, combined with the lpf in my subs for another 12 db, which would be 24 db slope.

Would that work?

What's the avr 10 have for crossover slopes

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom