Arcam announces Atmos/DTS:X AV receivers with Dirac EQ - news discussion

the volume knob is making a welcome return

Yep, that face needed a nose :)

although it does make him/it look rather gormless :eek:

Given I already own multiple Alpha 10 Power amps for my TAG AV32R based system, I wonder if this is going to be £800 better than a Marantz AV7702 Mk2???

Given I already own multiple Alpha 10 Power amps for my TAG AV32R based system, I wonder if this is going to be £800 better than a Marantz AV7702 Mk2???

Depends how much you care about

1) Dirac
2) A one box solution to hdcp 2.2
3) dts:x

It will be interesting if you can use the internal 7 amp channels for atmos heights and surrounds
Then feed the 5 main channels to a proper amp - then this might be interesting.

However it will have to be really good in stereo + Subs to get me to swop out a Meridian but it would serve a good purpose as I dont have space for more amps and I would be loathed to sell the bryston because for SQ its right up there at studio quality

I think the inclusion of Dirac may make it a lot better. I cant get on with Audyssey at all.
XT32 certainly needs some level tweaking afterwards and is inconsistent. But personally I'm unconvinced about how much any of them actually do in a domestic setting, whether Mcacc, YPAO, ARC or whatever. I'd never base an amplifier purchase primarily on its room correction software though many do. But then many believe in all sorts :D

The main attraction of dirac is the correction of the speaker impulse response and manual control of eq. However as you say if the rest is not up to it then it's folly
The main attraction of the arcams is dirac is internal so no a/d conversion feeding an additional box that was a negative point for me of their external box solution

Arcam receivers of old were highly favoured it may be a return to form for them

They are expensive though

XT32 certainly needs some level tweaking afterwards and is inconsistent. But personally I'm unconvinced about how much any of them actually do in a domestic setting, whether Mcacc, YPAO, ARC or whatever. I'd never base an amplifier purchase primarily on its room correction software though many do. But then many believe in all sorts :D

Have you tried Dirac? I used ARC beforehand and find Dirac far superior. The ability to tweak the target curve should not be underestimated.

I've seen that many believe in all sorts, spikes and blobs on your windows anyone?

I've not tried ARC, but I couldn't live with XT32 no matter what tweaks I tried. Once I installed my DDRC-88A I could get the smooth bass that XT32 did get me, but without the shrill treble from my main speakers. That was just with the standard 'auto target' setting. Yesterday I edited a target curve to give me a bit more bass thump and saved it in a spare slot and it sounds great. I didn't have that flexibility with XT32 (and I don't think ARC is quite so adjustable either).

If the Arcam AVR offers the same flexibility (and spare memory slots) then having it all in one neat box would be fantastic, though I'll still use a separate Arcam power amp for the LCR/side surrounds.

Nuff said then. And I am one of the they speaking from personal experience. Clearly you are not.
Can't disagree with that.

However I have used variants of Audyssey, Mcacc, YPAO, ARC and the Sony proprietary. On dozens of amps. They all have their followers, level of hype and critics. But none really has made a huge difference to me in my domestic settings in over a decade.

So Dirac must be something else or its just the same story!

Can't disagree with that.

However I have used variants of Audyssey, Mcacc, YPAO, ARC and the Sony proprietary. On dozens of amps. They all have their followers, level of hype and critics. But none really has made a huge difference to me in my domestic settings in over a decade.

So Dirac must be something else or its just the same story!

People believe what they want to believe no matter what evidence to the contrary you provide them.
I'm not a follower of brands for the sake of it, I always demo my equipment beforehand to determine its merits or not and I was one of the first people on this forum to demo and purchase the miniDSP unit. Its advantages and superiority were quickly clear to me. Buying it was a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I respectively recommend you have a listen to it at one of our esteemed AA's establishments, or better yet have a home demo, you may be pleasantly surprised. It would at the very least allow you to make an informed opinion about it rather than just speculate.

I'm really interested in these new Arcams, however in my current room I can't really make full use of Atmos so I'm not sure if it's a worth while upgrade.
My trusty Onkyo 5008 has served me well & continues to do so, however I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new 4K OLED so could be a good time to change my Onkyo.

I just need to find somewhere fairly close to Oxford so I can hear one or arrange a home demo, any ideas ?

Epic Home Cinema is near Slough, so that's not a huge drive (maybe an hour?) for you. I don't know when they are getting stock though, but Jagdeepp mentioned about possibly having a 550 on demo for the next forum meeting later in November.

I'm really interested in these new Arcams, however in my current room I can't really make full use of Atmos so I'm not sure if it's a worth while upgrade.
My trusty Onkyo 5008 has served me well & continues to do so, however I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new 4K OLED so could be a good time to change my Onkyo.

I just need to find somewhere fairly close to Oxford so I can hear one or arrange a home demo, any ideas ?

I have the even older 5507 and like you it has served me well! It's never missed a beat and actually sounds pretty awesome.

As I don't use an avr/avp for music I'm hesitant about spending so much money on a new Arcam or Anthem. I want atmos but I'm doubtful that they will sound that much better than the higher end Denons...

Epic Home Cinema is near Slough, so that's not a huge drive (maybe an hour?) for you. I don't know when they are getting stock though, but Jagdeepp mentioned about possibly having a 550 on demo for the next forum meeting later in November.

Thanks, where can I get info on the forum meet please.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom