Answered Arcam AVR300 Volume Knob Issue

irish07

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Arcam AVR300 and it appears to be acting up with the volume knob adjustment being erratic. The remote operates the volume perfectly, seems to be a common issue. I've searched on here and received the most information to the issue possibly being the "encoder", just I can't find a part number. I've wrote Arcam support, but being I'm from Canada their site directs me to a Canadian support department. Their tech support has not responded to my emails, so I'm hoping someone on this site might be of some help in getting the exact name of the part and possibly a part number.

Any help would be great..thanx in advance!

Welcome to the forum irish07 :hiya:

You don't look to be getting much help in this section so if you like I can move your thread to the dedicated Arcam section - let me know if you want me to do this for you.

Mark.

Welcome to the forum irish07 :hiya:

You don't look to be getting much help in this section so if you like I can move your thread to the dedicated Arcam section - let me know if you want me to do this for you.

Mark.
Sure, I didn't realize their was an Arcam section.. Thank you

Hi,

I have a Arcam AVR300 and it appears to be acting up with the volume knob adjustment being erratic. The remote operates the volume perfectly, seems to be a common issue. I've searched on here and received the most information to the issue possibly being the "encoder", just I can't find a part number. I've wrote Arcam support, but being I'm from Canada their site directs me to a Canadian support department. Their tech support has not responded to my emails, so I'm hoping someone on this site might be of some help in getting the exact name of the part and possibly a part number.

Any help would be great..thanx in advance!

Since Arcam no longer make a player that supports DVD-A, I don't often visit this part of AV Forums any more - and have therefore only just noticed your post. Hopefully by now you've had some form of response by now from the Canadian Arcam distributor.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that the volume control knob of my AVR350 (which I bought nearly 10 years ago) no longer works properly either. In fact, the problem started probably 5 years into its life, whereby by twiddling the knob, the volume level would not always increase or decrease properly - completely erratic. It's no different now, in fact it's only got worse. I contacted Arcam about 5 years ago, not long after the problem started, and they sent me a control for fitting myself. The only thing is that I just haven't got around to fitting it! One day I might, but the thought of disconnecting all my kit and then taking the lid of the AVR350 just doesn't appeal. The whole job would take me hours! Apparently, my local Arcam dealer said that this is a typical problem with lots of amplifiers nowadays, and it happens through lack of use. I don't know about you, but I tend to use the remote control for volume (and other function) control.

I realise that my response may not quite offer you help, but perhaps it's worth contacting Arcam UK if you don't actually get an answer from your local distributor. I don't know if the part would be the same as for your amplifier, but if you'dd like any details from mine, just let me know.

Since Arcam no longer make a player that supports DVD-A, I don't often visit this part of AV Forums any more - and have therefore only just noticed your post. Hopefully by now you've had some form of response by now from the Canadian Arcam distributor.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let you know that the volume control knob of my AVR350 (which I bought nearly 10 years ago) no longer works properly either. In fact, the problem started probably 5 years into its life, whereby by twiddling the knob, the volume level would not always increase or decrease properly - completely erratic. It's no different now, in fact it's only got worse. I contacted Arcam about 5 years ago, not long after the problem started, and they sent me a control for fitting myself. The only thing is that I just haven't got around to fitting it! One day I might, but the thought of disconnecting all my kit and then taking the lid of the AVR350 just doesn't appeal. The whole job would take me hours! Apparently, my local Arcam dealer said that this is a typical problem with lots of amplifiers nowadays, and it happens through lack of use. I don't know about you, but I tend to use the remote control for volume (and other function) control.

I realise that my response may not quite offer you help, but perhaps it's worth contacting Arcam UK if you don't actually get an answer from your local distributor. I don't know if the part would be the same as for your amplifier, but if you'dd like any details from mine, just let me know.
Thanx for the response. It took awhile but I finally was able to get in contact with Arcam UK and receive a response. The encoder is no longer available and is now obsolete. Guess I'm just going to have no choice but to live with the issue. That's unless you want to see me your part?

I thought about getting it checked out by a tech, but if they also have no choice to replace the encoder and cannot just repair the issue on the board, then it might not be worth the labour rate/time

Just thought I'd write an update on this in case anyone needed a similar fix. I opened up the unit and removed volume knob's rotary encoder. I opened the encoder and noticed it's a 24 detent unit. I searched on digikeys and found the similar one for $2, with shipping overnight it cost a total whopping $10CND!! LOL

I soldered the new encoder to the board and Voila!! It works perfectly. The rotary encoder I got is made by Bourns and pn#PEC16-4225F-N0024. It literally took me no more than 30 minutes from start to finish and volume knob now works perfectly!

Old thread but I can add another solution for anyone having the same problem. I did the same as irish07 except that I only cleaned the rotary encoder from grease and oxide. I wiped the encoder free from grease and after that I used oxide clean spray on the contacts inside. I did not add any new grease before closing the encoder. Then tested the volume control and it works as new again. For how long? I dont know, perhaps the grease inside prevents from oxidation. But at least it was a very easy fix. A new encoder is cheap put only ordering one encoder would cost €20 or more in shipping.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom