Arcam AVR390 / AVR550 / AVR850 including Dirac Live®

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it a dead cert that you can use a power amp for LCR? The flyer shows a pic of the rear panel and there are preouts for all channels.

Or am I missing something?
It's a dead cert you can use an external power amp for LCR. Whats not certain (but it has been suggested would be possible) is that if you are using a power amp for LCR that you can use the internal L+R amplifiers to power Height 1 L+R.

Kelvin I never thought about the Arcam's not having pre-outs or problems with assigning amps, and like you I have a Arcam power amp P777 and I would want to drive 5 channels from the power amp. If Dirac is lite that would be another put off spending money on the Arcam. I am looking at Marantz and would probably wait for the for an update of the 8802 processor. I think Anthem's new AVP60 is priced high considering it's a stripped down AVR720 with upgraded DAC's and Anthem not giving 510 owners a reasonable upgrade path is a mistake by them because I will not buy the 520 what is a 310 or 720.

Should have been clearer in my post, it was the assigning bit that could be an issue, though for me it is only because I can justify buying an AVR if I get to use the internal amps for Atmos channels. If not then I may as well buy a processor, since I'd have to buy another power amp anyway.

At least there are plenty of options about, even if some might seem a bit overpriced when compared to AVR versions like the AVP60 Potshot mentioned.

Does anyone know what type of DAC is being used in the AVR850?

I'd be very surprised if the Arcam didn't have assignable amps. If they've got the insight to incorporate dirac, which lets face it is the enthusiasts choice, why on earth would they not have assignable amps??

I'll wager with any forum members that they will have assignable amps.:thumbsup:

OK I'll take that bet. I've got 10p that says they won't :).

I'm with indus on this one!

That feature 'could' appear on the 850 only . . . . . maybe :)

One thing I'm looking for is the ability to input a good old 5.1 from a standard SACD player. I have a Sony SCD-XB790 and the SACD multichannel is only output through analogue 5.1 phono.

The marantz AVR7702 mk2 will accept a 5.1 phono input, but I cant see anything on the back panel pics of the Arcam that suggest it will.

Which presumably means if I choose the Arcam over the Marantz, I have to change my SACD player as well. grrrrrrrr

In some ways with the arcam power aps I've got with my TAG AV32R, the marantz does make more sense, but would have to buy ANOTHER 2 power amps for the atmos .4 channels.

I'd prefer to buy the Arcam and be able to sell a couple of my Arcam power amps that would then be surplus. DIRAC would be a bonus over Audyssey, as long as I can get on with it myself, and not need dealer setup.

Guess I may be looking at an Oppo BDP103 as well!! :eek::eek::eek:

Does anyone know when more information is due on these amps. I'm getting a little excited

Does anyone know when more information is due on these amps. I'm getting a little excited
Probably as we go into November, all the information that dealers/installers have has been released, the rest needs to be relayed to us via Arcam as the release gets nearer.

Arcam @ Cedia 20

No mention of Dirac. Slipped his mind?

Lots of vent fondling.

:thumbsup:

Does anybody know what power the amps will be rated at on AVR's.

Does anybody know what power the amps will be rated at on AVR's.
If you go to the first page of this thread, someone posted the preliminary spec sheet which included amplifier power ratings.

To save a search:

Continuous power output, per channel, 8Ω/4Ω (AVR850)
2 channels driven, 20Hz ‑ 20kHz, <0.02% THD - 120W/200W
2 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 130W/210W
7 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 100W/180W

Continuous power output, per channel, 8Ω (AVR550)
2 channels driven, 20Hz ‑ 20kHz, <0.02% THD - 110W
2 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 125W
7 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 90W

The lack of Dirac information (even being mentioned) in the video seems a bit remiss. Talking to some other potential 550 buyers this weekend at a forum meet and the feeling seems to be that if Dirac is restricted and/or limited in channels then it would be off the 'wish list' (certainly for me anyway).

To save a search:

Continuous power output, per channel, 8Ω/4Ω (AVR850)
2 channels driven, 20Hz ‑ 20kHz, <0.02% THD - 120W/200W
2 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 130W/210W
7 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 100W/180W

Continuous power output, per channel, 8Ω (AVR550)
2 channels driven, 20Hz ‑ 20kHz, <0.02% THD - 110W
2 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 125W
7 channels driven, 1kHz, 0.2% THD - 90W

The lack of Dirac information (even being mentioned) in the video seems a bit remiss. Talking to some other potential 550 buyers this weekend at a forum meet and the feeling seems to be that if Dirac is restricted and/or limited in channels then it would be off the 'wish list' (certainly for me anyway).

I have been wondering if the 550 would have a lite version of dirac and if that is the case then I wouldn't bother with the 550 either. Strange there has been no mention of what dirac will be on the 550 because from a marketing point of view if it is the full version it would of been a big coup for arcam.

miss my AVR500 sounded fantastic - didn't even need any EQ

unfortunately wasn't stable or consistent so went back

these new receivers look good

if they can still get sound right and a decent user experience - count me in when I upgrade next

I know we haven't got all the details yet but if it turns out that the AV550 had some lite version of Dirac over a full version for the AV850 then that I'd imagine would put a few people off. £2500 for the AV550 is not a small amount and not everyone would want to stump up £4000 plus for the higher model.
Having said all that....we don't have all the info yet....they may both have the full version or both have a lite version. I suppose the proof would be in the end result as regards how they sound and even if they didn't have the full version of Dirac.....even a customized version for Arcam may still outperform the likes of other EQ systems like YPAO or Audyssey.

Some perspective is necessary here...

Dirac 'lite' - which is still just speculation- going by the Emotiva processors is pretty much same as ARC 'full'. Haven't seen anyone complaining about ARC being limited on the Anthems...

It's priced in a similar bracket to the 720 and they, on paper at least, have very similar specifications

The MiniDSP DDRC-88a at £930 with a mic is considered a good deal and had been purchased by many members here.

I think even a Lite version of Dirac, if well implemented, would make the AVR550 good value. Considering the up to date features and Arcam's reputation for 2 channel sound, the premium over some of the competition may well be justified.

The case for the AVR850 may be less clear unless it has the full version of Dirac with full control for the end user.

The proof will be in the listening!

For me it very much depends on how limited (or not, let's be optimistic :)) the Dirac side is. In the few months I've had my DDRC-88A I've become accustomed to being able to get in a tweak settings to further fine tune the result to my taste (and using REW to assist). I wouldn't want to give that up really.

I run my AV8 through it and use it for stereo too (different memory slot in the '88, with another Dirac calibration that is done without my projector screen down), music sounds very good this way and I'm only using an Oppo '93 player via coax output (I sold my Arcam CD73D as it didn't sound any better/different to me through the AV8). I would like to retain this stereo sound quality at least (any improvement would of course be welcome), but with HD and Atmos sound decoding for film use. I'd be very surprised if the 550 didn't provide this, so I'm itching to find out what the score really is with these new AVRs.

What I couldn't really justify is keeping the '88A to use with a 550. If it doesn't pan out how I'd like, then I will probably go for a more budget AVR and perhaps look out for a used Arcam stereo amp with AV bypass, but one box would be a neater solution, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed the '550 works out how we hope it will.

For me it very much depends on how limited (or not, let's be optimistic :)) the Dirac side is.
While it can be fun to speculate, we really should wait a little longer for this to be revealed with the release of manuals and then testing... Until then anything (unless posted by representatives of Arcam or others who actually know) is pure speculation.

While it can be fun to speculate, we really should wait a little longer for this to be revealed with the release of manuals and then testing... Until then anything (unless posted by representatives of Arcam or others who actually know) is pure speculation.

Yeah, but speculation is such fun!

Anyway, with the dark nights closing in what else is there to keep us occupied and out of trouble :D

Anyway, with the dark nights closing in what else is there to keep us occupied and out of trouble :D
Listening to music and watching films?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom