Arcam AVR390 / AVR550 / AVR850 including Dirac Live®

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it connect now that your firewall is off, or do you run a VPN?

So this is bizarre. After reading this thread I go to try the system again. My RTI remote, which is set to IP control, does not operate the AV860. I turn it on manually and miraculously, Dirac connects to it but now my remote system will not. I wonder if there's a weird conflict between Dirac and IP control systems.

The software that controls the network interface & functions. It hasn't been updated for years & is a mystery & annoyance why it keeps being bundled in the package. Especially when in my experience it's Network that usually hangs.

Annoying its doing something it does not need to. It writes the DSP one no problem... I have a cunning plan..

Can you skip versions (cumulative), or do you have to upgrade incrementally, i.e. each version?

Annoying its doing something it does not need to. It writes the DSP one no problem... I have a cunning plan..

Can you skip versions (cumulative), or do you have to upgrade incrementally, i.e. each version?

Pretty sure if you don't load the network firmware file onto the USB drive the Arcam will just skip the network part of the upgrade process. I have never had an issue so have always done both.

Pretty sure if you don't load the network firmware file onto the USB drive the Arcam will just skip the network part of the upgrade process. I have never had an issue so have always done both.

That was my cunning plan! DSP and OST go through fine, still sticks on NET.

Alas, I'm left with an expensive brick; I've pinged Arcam support...

Try turning off your firewall on your laptop/MacBook.

Update: This morning my RTI control system processor lost control of the AV860 and miraculously, Dirac was then able to find it. This evening I re-boot the RTI processor, it comes back to life and controls the AV860 but now Dirac won't find it so there's obviously a conflict. The dumb thing is I switch the AV860 to RS232 control but Dirac still can't find it. Someone at Dirac needs a serious networking lesson because this is simply appalling.

Update: This morning my RTI control system processor lost control of the AV860 and miraculously, Dirac was then able to find it. This evening I re-boot the RTI processor, it comes back to life and controls the AV860 but now Dirac won't find it so there's obviously a conflict. The dumb thing is I switch the AV860 to RS232 control but Dirac still can't find it. Someone at Dirac needs a serious networking lesson because this is simply appalling.

Next update. I unplugged the ethernet cable from the RTI processor and Dirac finds the AV860 immediately. Plug the ethernet cable back into RTI processor and Dirac loses the AV860. So now I can either control the 860 or run Dirac. The thing that makes this crappy is the 860 is in the mechanical room in the basement.

Is it an IP conflict? Could you try refreshing IP addresses for both devices on your router?

Next update. I unplugged the ethernet cable from the RTI processor and Dirac finds the AV860 immediately. Plug the ethernet cable back into RTI processor and Dirac loses the AV860. So now I can either control the 860 or run Dirac. The thing that makes this crappy is the 860 is in the mechanical room in the basement.

Can you not simply disconnect the processor, run Dirac, then reconnect it?

That was my cunning plan! DSP and OST go through fine, still sticks on NET.

Alas, I'm left with an expensive brick; I've pinged Arcam support...

I gave it one more try this morning, and for some reason it decided to work this time when removing and reinserting the USB when stuck at the NET UPDATE, PLESE WAIT...

Factory reset and manually reapplied all configs and its all working, white noise on the speaker level set up page, and inputs working with the selected mode.

Happy chappy after hours of frustration!

Someone at Dirac needs a serious networking lesson because this is simply appalling.
It's not Dirac it's Arcam. They've somehow managed to create a network port that can only talk to one thing. I've read the same issue exists with Music Life, so if you're using IP remote control, then you can't use the app. Similarly, if the app is connected you can't connect to Dirac.

So maybe it's time they actually updated the network software.

Pretty much everyone that reports problems with the firmware update, always seem to have the problem at the writing of the 'Net' software, which doesn't appear to have been updated at all, most frustrating i can imagine, luckily, i haven't ever experienced any issues ........(Tempting fate)

That's a very restricted range for your sub, effectively 30hz to 70hz. Have you tried various positions? Ideally you don't want Dirac trying to boost.

After a bit of messing and an empty house, I found another position for the sub. Attached are two REW sweeps that I did. Not sure I've done these exactly right but if I'm correct I'm looking for the flattest response, which would be the first graph. Am I correct?

Attachments

• 1550932501346_image.png
    1550932501346_image.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 1550932511598_image.png
    1550932511598_image.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 59
It finds the files on the USB uploads them, i see the percentge increasing. It then moves onto NET UPDATE, PLESE WAIT...

And again just stuck there....

I did a factory reset as no sound was coming out of it, and now, even in the speaker level page, no whitenoise comes out of any speakers, and any onput only works if digital stereo is slelected, it wont accept anything else...

Its far from happy, will try another USB stick after leaving it for 30 minutes...

what is the NET UPDATE?

Provided its not saying " Updating...." is fine to unplug and put USB straight back in. It then picks up from where it left.
Mine does this if I forget myself and use one of the USB sticks with a hidden folder/partition or any other file on it all all, including mac temp files. Needs to be entirely blank

All devices are on static ip’s and they’re all different.

If you do static binding of IPs in the router, be aware that the MAC address listed in the Arcam GUI is wrong. Your router should list the correct MAC address (if it's connected properly).
Unlikely that this is your problem, but it's good to know :)

After a bit of messing and an empty house, I found another position for the sub. Attached are two REW sweeps that I did. Not sure I've done these exactly right but if I'm correct I'm looking for the flattest response, which would be the first graph. Am I correct?

I think you are correct. How does it sound? Any better?

I think you are correct. How does it sound? Any better?
The flatter graph is the subs current position, the other one is where I moved it. So it's staying put.

Are you using a microphone & sound card calibration file in REW?

How are you generating test tones? Via HDMI & the Arcam?

When taking screen grabs in REW click the camera icon in the top right corner of the graph & include the legend with a descriptive title & name all measurements. This helps a lot so we can see what the FR relates to.

Are you using a microphone & sound card calibration file in REW?

How are you generating test tones? Via HDMI & the Arcam?

When taking screen grabs in REW click the camera icon in the top right corner of the graph & include the legend with a descriptive title & name all measurements. This helps a lot so we can see what the FR relates to.
I'm using a umik microphone with the associated calibration file, I don't believe you need to calibrate the sound card if using this microphone?
Yes, the test tones are coming via hdmi through the arcam

Attachments

• Sweep Right.jpg
    Sweep Right.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Sweep Left.jpg
    Sweep Left.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 49
I'm using a umik microphone with the associated calibration file, I don't believe you need to calibrate the sound card if using this microphone?
Yes, the test tones are coming via hdmi through the arcam

I to was under the impression that a sound card calibration file was not required as I am using the same setup but after performing a loop back test I soon found out that what was being outputted from my laptop was far from ideal.

This can be due to a variety of reasons & is always worth checking in my opinion before starting.

I presume these measurements are being taken from the "sub out" output of the Arcam & are with no EQ?

Even if you have the crossover set at 200Hz this can still affect your results as crossovers are not brick walls as can be seen here.

e155bba77d.jpeg

I prefer to use the center channel pre-out & set the center channel to large in the Arcam GUI so the crossover does not come into play.

I to am at the moment trying to find the best location for both my subs & fortunately have many locations I can place them.

After many measurements & moving the subs around I am able to achieve this.

260f0a3e76.jpeg

Was a good days work consisting around 100 measurements but I feel it was worth it.

Always worth looking into Multi Sub Optimizer if you have two or more subs as it can work wonders.

So this is bizarre. After reading this thread I go to try the system again. My RTI remote, which is set to IP control, does not operate the AV860. I turn it on manually and miraculously, Dirac connects to it but now my remote system will not. I wonder if there's a weird conflict between Dirac and IP control systems.
It definitely is an issue.
I have RTI and with the XP8s processor connected to the Arcam via IP, you cant use the Arcam phone app or connect to it via Dirac. I now have the RTI using RS232, I use the remote to turn to IP control, DirAc then becomes available, I then run Dirac, once finished use the iphone app to switch back to RS232 control for RTI, quite a pain TBH, not had that with any other device not allowing concurrent connections.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to use the Dirac in a read only mode for free without the amp? Wondering if there’s a way to see how much improvement there could be in my room BEFORE I purchase the amp?

If you have access to a PC to play your movies/music then you could download the Dirac software there. They do a trial period for free.

Great. Do you know if that’s the same version as the Arcam? So all the features etc?

Will give it a go

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom