Arcam AVR390 / AVR550 / AVR850 including Dirac Live®

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all responses

Will use latest Dirac.

TV is Sony AF9 and I'm using the same inputs as I did with the Denon AVR, which played UHD (and Dolby Vision from my Sony disc player) flawlessly.

Inputs to the Arcam are BD and SAT.

Cables from the Sony UHD player and Sky Q into the Arcam are (short length) Premium certified (the same as I was using into the Denon AVR).

Last edited:
Thanks for all responses

Cables from the Sony UHD player and Sky Q into the Arcam are (short length) Premium certified (the same as I was using into the Denon AVR).
What about the cable from the Arcam to the TV?

Which output from the Arcam to the TV?

Same as it was with the Denon AVR: latest spec optical fibre HDMI, and works perfectly when used to connect the Sony UHD player and Sky Q to the TV directly,
Can you just temporarily unplug the premium certified cable from the Sky box to the Arcam and use that to connect your Arcam to your TV. So, you have premium certified from UHD player to Arcam and premium certified from Arcam to TV.

Do you still have problems with the UHD player if connected that way?

Same as it was with the Denon AVR: latest spec optical fibre HDMI, and works perfectly when used to connect the Sony UHD player and Sky Q to the TV directly,
Some fibre optic HDMI's are directional, don't suppose you've connected it the wrong way round?

Can you just temporarily unplug the premium certified cable from the Sky box to the Arcam and use that to connect your Arcam to your TV. So, you have premium certified from UHD player to Arcam and premium certified from Arcam to TV.

Do you still have problems with the UHD player if connected that way?

Short answer is yes, there are problems with both the Sony UHD player and SkyQ going via the Arcam (using premium cables) - connected directly to the TV they work fine. ARC from the TV (Netflix / Disney+ etc.) into the Arcam (for sound) also works fine.

Makes me wonder whether there is problem with the HDMI pass-through handing in the Arcam?

Short answer is yes, there are problems with both the Sony UHD player and SkyQ going via the Arcam (using premium cables) - connected directly to the TV they work fine. ARC from the TV (Netflix / Disney+ etc.) into the Arcam (for sound) also works fine.

Makes me wonder whether there is problem with the HDMI pass-through handing in the Arcam?
Have you tried UHD player - premium certified - Arcam - premium certified - TV ?

I know you say it works okay if connected direct to TV and it worked okay with your previous AVR but I am afraid HDMI connectivity does not use that logic.

Was the unit a brand new unit or customer return/demonstrator, also what version version of Firmware is it on and have you carried out a factory reset?

Have you tried UHD player - premium certified - Arcam - premium certified - TV ?

I know you say it works okay if connected direct to TV and it worked okay with your previous AVR but I am afraid HDMI connectivity does not use that logic.

Yes

Was the unit a brand new unit or customer return/demonstrator, also what version version of Firmware is it on and have you carried out a factory reset?
Brand new. Latest firmware downloaded onto USB, installed and factory reset done. Checked latest version is shown on the display.

Sounds like you have faulty unit as HDMI pass through should work fine.

Before you decide if it needs to go back to the dealer make sure in theHDMI settings that you have passthrough set to bypass (not 4K-2K).
Try umplplugging the Sky HDMI and just trying the BD player. Does it work ok?
If not then unplug the BD HDMI cable and plug sky back in. Does that work?

If neither of the above works then you most likely have a faulty unit.
Does the AVR set up menus display ok with no sparkles?

It’s gonna be time replace my Trusty AV9 soon and have been looking at a 550 as a processor to use with my P7 but I hear rumblings that the pre out voltages have been limited for use in this purpose ?
anyone have any knowledge of this and the drawbacks ?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

A step forward but not there yet: active optical fibre 2m cable now connecting the Sony UHD player to the BD input on the 850. The UHD player menu now appears on the screen in 4k (if forced to in the player output menu) and clear of any sparkles! However when a 4k Dolby Vision disc (1917 - magnificent film) loads the 850 will only pass through at 1080p, despite the player settings to 4k/HDR/Dolby Vision. And there is no sound.

So, my hunch is that the Arcam is particularly demanding of a very strong HDMI input signal (active fibre cable, normal premium certified just doesn't do it), and there is also a fault with its HDMI pass-through and audio extraction. Will call the dealer tomorrow.

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion around your use of "pass-through". Are we talking about with the amp on or in standby?

A step forward but not there yet: active optical fibre 2m cable now connecting the Sony UHD player to the BD input on the 850. The UHD player menu now appears on the screen in 4k (if forced to in the player output menu) and clear of any sparkles! However when a 4k Dolby Vision disc (1917 - magnificent film) loads the 850 will only pass through at 1080p, despite the player settings to 4k/HDR/Dolby Vision. And there is no sound.

So, my hunch is that the Arcam is particularly demanding of a very strong HDMI input signal (active fibre cable, normal premium certified just doesn't do it), and there is also a fault with its HDMI pass-through and audio extraction. Will call the dealer tomorrow.
Must admit that i'm a bit confused with some of the things you've said, HDMI Pass-through refers to the passing through of a HDMI Input when the Arcam is in standby, this will be the last used HDMI input if you have enabled it in the menu?

So you say there is also no audio from your Sony UHD player when connected to the Arcam? .... So the question is, have you set which Video and Audio source to use for the BD Input?

Audio Video.jpg

It’s gonna be time replace my Trusty AV9 soon and have been looking at a 550 as a processor to use with my P7 but I hear rumblings that the pre out voltages have been limited for use in this purpose ?
I previously had an AV9 with my P7 before moving to an AVR390 (via a Marantz AVR). I saw the review on ASR for the 390 and he said that the level doesn't increase above 75 on the master volume. The P7 has 29dB gain though, so it may be less of an issue for us; I can hit some pretty high levels in my room with MK MPS300 for LCR that are 4.5 metres from the MLP.

I need to do some testing with REW pink noise so I can try to confirm where reference level currently is in my set up: I have used the Dolby Atmos test disc to set each speaker to 70dB (master volume at 65) when playing the test tones. However, I have never been entirely sure what level they are recorded at. Recently I was told in a PM that they are supposedly recorded at 89dB, so I'm trying to get my head around what that means in terms of where my reference level is.

I'll come back once I've confirmed what reference is in my setup and then whether I need to go over 75 master volume to achieve it. If not, then the point is moot, unless you intend to go over reference level.

Apart from the fibre optic HDMI cable, what premium certified cables do you have to hand?

Apart from the fibre optic HDMI cable, what premium certified cables do you have to hand?
I'm leaning towards a settings issue in the player, and not configured properly in the Arcam.

Hello guys,
Sorry if it sound like a silly question but I was wondering, as trigger cables, from AVR550 to 2 amplifiers, can I use also stereo types or must be mono only?

Hello guys,
Sorry if it sound like a silly question but I was wondering, as trigger cables, from AVR550 to 2 amplifiers, can I use also stereo types or must be mono only?

stereo cables work fine

Up until recently i had the AV860, which i'd had for a couple of years, my undertanding was it was just the addition of XLR's and different (smaller/quieter toroidal psu that gave it a cleaner signal path/lower noise floor) never heard anything about the pre outs being different.
Arcam AVR390 vs AVR550 Vs AVR850 AV860 As a Processor ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom