Arcam AVR390 / AVR550 / AVR850 including Dirac Live®

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I will downgrade, I guess its the same process as upgrading?

What content are you guys using to test? I will see if I have it available.

I just loaded v4.41 firmware onto a USB and went through exactly the same process as a normal update. Didn't encounter any issues.

The content I have used mostly is

The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD DTS track -- Hardly any bass, especially noticeable on 1st 3 songs.

David Gilmour Live In Pompeii DTS-HD track -- Where did the bass drum go? ;)

Star Wars Episode 2 Blu Ray Chapter 3 (others can be used with same result) DTS-HD -- Almost no bass.

DTS Demo Disc 2016 -- Cymatics track -- The voice over at the start of the track is totally incorrect in terms of steering (confirmed as an issue by Arcam)

There are more, but these are the ones where it is really obvious.

Also, some Atmos music tracks seem incorrect in terms of bass quantity. I tried Roger Waters The Wall, Hans Zimmer and Imagine Dragons (my daughter likes them) and all seemed to have very boomy bass that wasn't there in the past. I don't have an Atmos set up, but this has definitely changed from the previous version.

Using Dirac V2, I tried to start a re calibration after adding another set of surround speakers. Flippin' MacBook needed and administrator password I couldn't remember and then when resetting on another device, could get it to work on the MacBook. Nearly stamped on the thing after over an hour of frustration.

No matter what combination of master volume and mic gain (Umik) I'm finding it almost impossible to get the same level with the loudest speakers (LCR - MK S150) to match the quietest (Atmos - XTZ S2). Its a DB or so out, near the bottom of the green level indicator bar. Any suggestions? I'm using firmware 7.14.

Thanks

Using Dirac V2, I tried to start a re calibration after adding another set of surround speakers. Flippin' MacBook needed and administrator password I couldn't remember and then when resetting on another device, could get it to work on the MacBook. Nearly stamped on the thing after over an hour of frustration.

No matter what combination of master volume and mic gain (Umik) I'm finding it almost impossible to get the same level with the loudest speakers (LCR - MK S150) to match the quietest (Atmos - XTZ S2). Its a DB or so out, near the bottom of the green level indicator bar. Any suggestions? I'm using firmware 7.14.

Thanks

I'm surprised that you're getting such a difference between the speaker levels. M&Ks are usually around 90dB sensitivity and from what I can see the XTZ are quoted as 86dB.

I have something similar (different speakers) with my M&K at 90dB, Spendor L&R at 90dB and Spendor Centre at 84dB. When I set them up using Dirac v2, the Centre is set to be loudest, while the others are reduced to match. Each does have to be set about 6 dB lower that kind of matches with the specs.

So I would have expected the M&Ks to be set at about 4dB lower. Without having to try to get Dirac going here, what is the level that the M&Ks want to be set at?

Master output is 46% and mic gain was approx. 86% (had to disconnect the mic to go downstairs to the pc. This gives LCR between -5 and -6.5DB giving green lines at 19.9 db to 21.2DB.

Heights are all -6db and green lines from 19.3 to 21.1DB. I'm using an old Rotel 7 channel digital for heights. Maybe I'm expecting too much perfection in matching. Haven't run the test tone sweep yet, just getting the levels first. Hope that makes sense.

Master output is 46% and mic gain was approx. 86% (had to disconnect the mic to go downstairs to the pc. This gives LCR between -5 and -6.5DB giving green lines at 19.9 db to 21.2DB.

Heights are all -6db and green lines from 19.3 to 21.1DB. I'm using an old Rotel 7 channel digital for heights. Maybe I'm expecting too much perfection in matching. Haven't run the test tone sweep yet, just getting the levels first. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Why do you set the mic gain to 86%? Where I live is never perfectly quiet, but on Dirac v2, I've never had to set the mic gain to anything but the default 100%.

As an example with similar sensitivity speakers, without having heights, I have the mic gain at 100% and Master Output at 50%. This gives me full range on my least sensitive speaker (Centre - 84dB) and as stated before I need to reduce the levels of my most sensitive speakers (90dB) by 6 dB (6.1dB and 6.0 dB to be exact). Then my sub comes is reduced by around -1.0 dB.

For what it's worth I try to set the speakers to measure 15dB, which I think is roughly the middle of green zone.

Not sure I'm helping you much, but maybe it will act as an example.

Thanks Steve. When I was doing it, downstairs was a noise from the kitchen. I had to give up when the extractor fan drone went on and then abandon it altogether due to mother's day. I'll try another go later tomorrow and see how it goes. Will try your suggestions.
Thanks

Had a quick go at setting mic/output to 50/100 as suggested. I can get all the green levels to -9.3db. The channel sliders range from -5 to -10 db. At least all the levels are the same, so will give calibration a try tomorrow. Thanks

Just got in & flicked the TV on & I have no video output from the Arcam. CBA to dick around with it tonight but if this turns out to be a solid fault with the Arcam then it will be replaced while being repaired & outed once returned. :(

I run a 5.2.2 Atmos System,just had an it updates new firmware & Dirac,been noticing some track seem a little bass light,some tracks sound great,but also had that before Dirac update
Put a lot of it down to the blu rays being a bit bass light,as had been reported on some recents discs ?,and some older ones ?
Played the Thing tonight,the older one,DTS Master 2.0 track,with DTS upmixed on,no problems,but then just put on just the DTS Master track,no upmixed,no sound.
When into menu switched of all the DTS upmix setting,sound came back on,DTS 2.0 master,then went back into menu,switched all the upmix back on,played DTS 2.0 no upmix :confused:.
Hopefully any bass management issues can be sorted,and any DTS issues with firmware updates.

But still pleased with my buy,can't afford any updates anywhere in my system :(

Over all the years of being into Home Cinema,a run a fair few receivers,preamp power amps cheap,to more expensive.
From Sherwood, Denon,Onkyo,Marantz,Rotel,Lexicon Panasound, Yamaha,they all sounder from good to great for their time,but all seem to have their little or big gremims.

As i said hopefully it can be sorted out any problems :) .

Last edited:
I run a 5.2.2 Atmos System,just had an it updates new firmware & Dirac,been noticing some track seem a little bass light,some tracks sound great,but also had that before Dirac update
Put a lot of it down to the blu rays being a bit bass light,as had been reported on some recents discs ?,and some older ones ?
Played the Thing tonight,the older one,DTS Master 2.0 track,with DTS upmixed on,no problems,but then just put on just the DTS Master track,no upmixed,no sound.
When into menu switched of all the DTS upmix setting,sound came back on,DTS 2.0 master,then went back into menu,switched all the upmix back on,played DTS 2.0 no upmix :confused:.
Hopefully any bass management issues can be sorted,and any DTS issues with firmware updates.

But still pleased with my buy,can't afford any updates anywhere in my system :(

Over all the years of being into Home Cinema,a run a fair few receivers,preamp power amps cheap,to more expensive.
From Sherwood, Denon,Onkyo,Marantz,Rotel,Lexicon Panasound, Yamaha,they all sounder from good to great for their time,but all seem to have their little or big gremims.

As i said hopefully it can be sorted out any problems :) .

You may need to roll back the firmware from v71.4 (the latest) to the v4.41 (the previous version). There seems to be a multitude of bugs in the newest firmware including on DTS tracks. It's all detailed in the posts on this thread over the last few pages. You may also want to let Arcam Support know (they are aware, but the more customer complaints they receive, hopefully the faster they fix it).

Is there an easy link to the older FW, I can only see the latest on their site?

Standard response from Arcam, admit nothing & say everything is fine. We had this with the bass management fiasco.

Spoke to my dealer this afternoon,he phone Arcam on my behalf and arcam are saying their no issues that they are aware of,and have not heard from anybody about it very :confused:

Ignorance is bliss

Hopefully the more they hear,the sooner they will sort it out,they did say they were going to look at this AV-forum thread,anybody else had a reply to their phone calls,or email sent ?

:)

Last edited:
Spoke to my dealer this afternoon,he phone Arcam on my behalf and arcam are saying their no issues that they are aware of,and have not heard from anybody about it very :confused:

Then they are either not communicating with each other or just plain lying through their teeth. I'll let others make their own decision on which one it is. I know my opinion. :devil:

I have emails from the customer support confirming that they had found at least one fault that I had reported -- the steering issue with DTS soundtracks. I'm expecting another response from them in the next day or so.

In the meantime, I'm picking up a Denon 8500 tomorrow to test for a few days. We will see how that goes. :)

Run Dirac V2.2 latest version. Did measures. Saved as various projects with Harman curves for each speaker group. Got 4, 6, and 8db projects. I cant say I see much difference in the graphs for each. Uploaded 6db Harman.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong. Not adjusted curtains and couldn’t find how to add centre speaker to LR using a Mac. Tried my two go to test screens. Master volume set to 60. Edge of tomorrow gave some good trouser flapping bass at the film start. However the Oblivion rope screen lacks any bass. I remember Ringnut saying something but couldnt find on this thread. Exactly as per my previous calculation before adding side surrounds. Completely disappointed. My MRX500 handles Oblivion much better!

Any ideas how to increase the bass?

Then they are either not communicating with each other or just plain lying through their teeth. I'll let others make their own decision on which one it is. I know my opinion. :devil:

I have emails from the customer support confirming that they had found at least one fault that I had reported -- the steering issue with DTS soundtracks. I'm expecting another response from them in the next day or so.

In the meantime, I'm picking up a Denon 8500 tomorrow to test for a few days. We will see how that goes. :)

Yep keep the pressure up,and hopefully we will get it sorted,hope you have some good results with your Denon 8500 testing :)

Run Dirac V2.2 latest version. Did measures. Saved as various projects with Harman curves for each speaker group. Got 4, 6, and 8db projects. I cant say I see much difference in the graphs for each. Uploaded 6db Harman.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong. Not adjusted curtains and couldn’t find how to add centre speaker to LR using a Mac. Tried my two go to test screens. Master volume set to 60. Edge of tomorrow gave some good trouser flapping bass at the film start. However the Oblivion rope screen lacks any bass. I remember Ringnut saying something but couldnt find on this thread. Exactly as per my previous calculation before adding side surrounds. Completely disappointed. My MRX500 handles Oblivion much better!

Any ideas how to increase the bass?
Not sure about the bass question, as I found the Harman curves too bass heavy and went back to the default Dirac curve.

However, Dirac v2 allocates extra processing to stereo pairs for timing calculations, so I leave my centre out of the group these days. If you do want to add, drag the centre into the L/R group on a Mac.

However, Dirac v2 allocates extra processing to stereo pairs for timing calculations, so I leave my centre out of the group these days. If you do want to add, drag the centre into the L/R group on a Mac.

I was lead to believe that all speakers should be grouped together minus the sub, unless there are major differences in the frequency response of any particular speaker.

Happy to report that I have rolled back the firmware to v4.41, factory reset and then a new run of Dirac v2.2.0, which I had to do as I have a new subwoofer.

All good, no problems, everything works correctly including DTS, and it all sounds great :thumbsup:

Happy to report that I have rolled back the firmware to v4.41, factory reset and then a new run of Dirac v2.2.0, which I had to do as I have a new subwoofer.

All good, no problems, everything works correctly including DTS, and it all sounds great :thumbsup:
Are you running duals ?

Are you running duals ?
Not exactly. I have an experimental arrangement. I have a BK200 at the front which does the bass for the front left, right and centre speakers, which are set as large. Then I have a BK400 at the back that is the .1 channel and takes the bass from the surrounds and atmos speakers that are set as small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom