Arcam AVR390 / AVR550 / AVR850 including Dirac Live®

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such as dedicated channels for Dirac Bass Management and its implementation so that the interaction between sub/s and main speakers (their summation at the crossover region of frequencies) is phase/magnitude optimized and the interaction between subs is optimized as well when more than one is present

Such as dedicated channels for Dirac Bass Management and its implementation so that the interaction between sub/s and main speakers is phase/magnitude optimized and the interaction between subs is optimized as well when more than one is present

Thought that would be the response given you're from Dirac. ;)

Others will likely follow soon enough, some of which are likely to be more competitively priced, e.g. NAD. Just as they did when the FMJ series was released.

Anyone have good recommendations for the cheapest option of a laptop with the spec required to set up Dirac on an Arcam 550?

I can't install anything non-work related on my work laptop or my wife's work laptop, so this is needed purely to run and set up Dirac - hence why wanting to limit the cost to what is needed rather than getting carried away and paying extra for unnecessary bells and whistles.

Black Friday / Cyber Monday seems a good time to grab something :)

Thanks

Ps - I will be ordering the Umik-1 mic to set it up.

I wish Dirac was available on Chromebooks as well
Lucky you said that - I was looking at those the other day. Just as well I asked!

Anyone have good recommendations for the cheapest option of a laptop with the spec required to set up Dirac on an Arcam 550?

I can't install anything non-work related on my work laptop or my wife's work laptop, so this is needed purely to run and set up Dirac - hence why wanting to limit the cost to what is needed rather than getting carried away and paying extra for unnecessary bells and whistles.

Thanks

Even a basic Win10 laptop will work, no special requirements

Thanks

A desktop could work too. You have no personal computers in the house?

One of these would do.

You need to be careful managing the small storage but if it's only going to be for Dirac, should be fine.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for the suggestion. Is WiFi okay? I thought it was better to use a wired ethernet? Or is that just the Arcam? Sorry, I need to read the manual I guess...

Sorry, didn't realise they'd removed the ethernet from the previous model. WiFi should be OK but some have had to resort to direct ethernet between the amp & laptop. Worst case you could always add a USB ethernet adapter for around a tenner.

@AFM1 You don't have to spend £120+ on a new laptop, if you don't want a new laptop for personal use. Any Windows 10 base unit would do it. You can use a TV as a monitor if need be. No one you know have a spare PC they no longer use, or they could lend to you? If not, you can pick them up on eBay for £50 or less. Eg:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hello guys, I recently purchased an AVR550 and while waiting for the delivery of the speaker I would like to get ready to properly utilize Dirac Live setup. So here a couple of questions:
1) Do I need to utilize the Dirac version available on the Arcam's website "Dirac v1.2.31 (PC) (Legacy projects)" or the one on the Dirac's website "DiracLive v2.3.0"?
2) I'm planning to utilize the system in 7.1 mode for movies and 2.1 for music. Do I need to I need to make 2 separate calibrations or one is enough?
Thanks in advance for your support.

Hello guys, I recently purchased an AVR550 and while waiting for the delivery of the speaker I would like to get ready to properly utilize Dirac Live setup. So here a couple of questions:
1) Do I need to utilize the Dirac version available on the Arcam's website "Dirac v1.2.31 (PC) (Legacy projects)" or the one on the Dirac's website "DiracLive v2.3.0"?
2) I'm planning to utilize the system in 7.1 mode for movies and 2.1 for music. Do I need to I need to make 2 separate calibrations or one is enough?

1) v2.3.0

2) One should be enough.

Hi.

1. Use the version from Dirac's website.

2. Only one dirac calibration slot available on the 550.

1) v2.3.0

2) One should be enough.
the latest version 2.3 works

you can only have one calibration on the FMJ's
Hi.

1. Use the version from Dirac's website.

2. Only one dirac calibration slot available on the 550.
Guys, thank you very much for the quick and helpful response. I've now only one question, how do I switch on the AVR from 7.1 to 2.1 and viceversa while watching movies and listening music?
Thanks.

Guys, thank you very much for the quick and helpful response. I've now only one question, how do I switch on the AVR from 7.1 to 2.1 and viceversa while watching movies and listening music?
Thanks.

The amp will do the switching for you automatically.

Thanks.

The way I use mine is to have the HDMI output from my Blu Ray player connected to the BD input on the Arcam with the setting "As Spkr Types". That then plays all my movies (and surround music) in the appropriate surround sound mode. I then connect the analogue outputs of my Blu Ray player to the analogue inputs of the CD input on the Arcam. I use a setting of "Sub + Sat" or Left/Right (full range speakers with no sub) and play my stereo CDs and SACDs via that input.

The way I use mine is to have the HDMI output from my Blu Ray player connected to the BD input on the Arcam with the setting "As Spkr Types". That then plays all my movies (and surround music) in the appropriate surround sound mode. I then connect the analogue outputs of my Blu Ray player to the analogue inputs of the CD input on the Arcam. I use a setting of "Sub + Sat" or Left/Right (full range speakers with no sub) and play my stereo CDs and SACDs via that input.
Uhm, I see a problem for me then... With my system I play both music and movies through a single media player, Nvidia Shield, therefore wired with the AVR only via HDMI and played through the same application, Plex.

You can just turn off upmixing when listening to music and the amp will play it back as stereo.

Uhm, I see a problem for me then... With my system a play both music and movies through a single media player, Nvidia Shield, therefore wired with the AVR only via HDMI and played through the same application, Plex.

Not necessarily. If you set your only input to to the AVR to "As Spkr types", it will play whatever mode your media player sends, e.g. 7.1/5.1 surround or 2.1 Stereo.

Not necessarily. If you set your only input to the AVR to "As Spkr types", it will play whatever mode your media player sends, e.g. 7.1/5.1 surround or 2.1 Stereo.
Ah, I knew this for movies but I thought that mp3/flac were not "mapped" 2.0/2.1. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom