Arcam AVR390 / AVR550 / AVR850 including Dirac Live®

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I knew this for movies but I thought that mp3/flac were not "mapped" 2.0/2.1. Thanks!

They should be mapped as Stereo, which will play as either 2.0 or 2.1 depending on your preferred configuration. At least that's how it works in my system when I listen to iTunes via my Apple TV box.

They should be mapped as Stereo, which will play as either 2.0 or 2.1 depending on your preferred configuration. At least that's how it works in my system when I listen to iTunes via my Apple TV box.
Thanks for the tips Steve! In any case I suppose that another solution is to unplug the speaker that I don't want utilize... :laugh:

I just got a svs SB16 sub. Should you make any peq adjustments prior to Dirac (phase/polarity/eq etc)? Or should you not bother and just let Dirac do it’s thing?

Hi,

Sorry for this little off topic, but I’ve bought an Umik-1 and most of you use them, I’d be pleased if you could clear up a doubt I have with mine: I’ve downloaded calibration file from MiniDSP web and I see it starts with a -44.783 value for 10.054 Hz that raises proportionally to a value of -10.065 at 13.698Hz, then for 13.869 Hz it raises abruptly to -0,9164 and stays most of the time between -1 and +1 until 8630.343 Hz when again drops to -10.510 and then progressively quips falling down until a value of -79.665 is reached at 20016.816 Hz. If this value of almost -80 normal or do I have to worry?

But what bothers me more is that between 22.193 Hz and 70.132 Hz the values abruptly change from -1 values to values between +10 and +12 in this range, does this mean that my Umik-1 is not good enough for these frequencies and that’s why these corrections are needed?

Thanks

Hello guys, is anybody there with Arendal speakers and an Arcam AVR? I'd like to know how to properly make the setup with Dirac Live, thanks!

Hi,

Sorry for this little off topic, but I’ve bought an Umik-1 and most of you use them, I’d be pleased if you could clear up a doubt I have with mine: I’ve downloaded calibration file from MiniDSP web and I see it starts with a -44.783 value for 10.054 Hz that raises proportionally to a value of -10.065 at 13.698Hz, then for 13.869 Hz it raises abruptly to -0,9164 and stays most of the time between -1 and +1 until 8630.343 Hz when again drops to -10.510 and then progressively quips falling down until a value of -79.665 is reached at 20016.816 Hz. If this value of almost -80 normal or do I have to worry?

But what bothers me more is that between 22.193 Hz and 70.132 Hz the values abruptly change from -1 values to values between +10 and +12 in this range, does this mean that my Umik-1 is not good enough for these frequencies and that’s why these corrections are needed?

Thanks
Sounds very wrong, tell us your mics serial number and I take a look.

How’s it measure via REW?

I have the the arendals and avr850. They sound fantastic.
I personally have the 550, do you set up the AVR in a particular way before lunching the Dirac software (e.g. Speaker Types, Levels, etc.) or do you let it do all the job autonomously?

I personally have the 550, do you set up the AVR in a particular way before lunching the Dirac software (e.g. Speaker Types, Levels, etc.) or do you let it do all the job autonomously?

I level match the speaker and put the distance in. Dirac is independent of these but I do it anyway so that I can compare before and after. You will need to make sure the speakers are assigned e.g sub present etc before launching Dirac.
Dirac will eq to a curve. It doesn’t set the Cross over or speaker type. You need to do this. Good starting point would be small speakers ( let the sub take the strain) and 80hz cross over (although you don’t say what arendals you have so this value could change?).
There are loads of pages in this thread with useful tips and the Dirac website has a manual that will talk you through it...best of luck

Hi,

Thanks

Sounds very wrong, tell us your mics serial number and I take a look.

How’s it measure via REW?

Try down loading it again, as the results i get for your mic serial number are very different

Your link doesn;t show values anywhere near +10.
The link i linked to looks fine to me, although i'm no expert on the subject, as @RBZ5416 say's tthere's nothing like the values you said you were getting. Try down loading the Cal file again, maybe you had a dodgy download!

I level match the speaker and put the distance in. Dirac is independent of these but I do it anyway so that I can compare before and after. You will need to make sure the speakers are assigned e.g sub present etc before launching Dirac.
Dirac will eq to a curve. It doesn’t set the Cross over or speaker type. You need to do this. Good starting point would be small speakers ( let the sub take the strain) and 80hz cross over (although you don’t say what arendals you have so this value could change?).
There are loads of pages in this thread with useful tips and the Dirac website has a manual that will talk you through it...best of luck
My setup will be 2x 1723 Towers, 1x 1723 S Central, 4x 1723 S Bookshelf, 1x Subwoofer 2. So basically I should insert anyway distances, speaker types (only subwoofer Large?), etc.? Crossover frequency still at 80 Hz?

My setup will be 2x 1723 Towers, 1x 1723 S Central, 4x 1723 S Bookshelf, 1x Subwoofer 2. So basically I should insert anyway distances, speaker types (only subwoofer Large?), etc.? Crossover frequency still at 80 Hz?
If i was you, i'd do a basic setup ie set your speaker distances, speakers small, sub present and initial crossover of 80Hz, do a level match using either the internal test tones, or preferably using an external source and calibration disc and SPL meter. Get used to the natural sound of your new speakers and get some hours on them before you bother doing a Dirac calibration.

Get used to the natural sound of your new speakers and get some hours on them before you bother doing a Dirac calibration.

I'm doing exactly that myself while testing out some ATC front speakers with my AVR850, which I've had for 3 years.

I'm doing exactly that myself while testing out some ATC front speakers with my AVR850, which I've had for 3 years.
Which ATC's ? Nice speakers whichever ones you've got, i am considering adding some ATC SCM 20-2 actives for stereo.

Which ATC's ? Nice speakers whichever ones you've got, i am considering adding some ATC SCM 20-2 actives for stereo.

ATC SCM 19, so the passive consumer version of the ones you are looking at. I'm very impressed so far, but it is early days as I only picked them up this morning.

The link i linked to looks fine to me, although i'm no expert on the subject, as @RBZ5416 say's tthere's nothing like the values you said you were getting. Try down loading the Cal file again, maybe you had a dodgy download!

Thanks, it was as easy as download again. I don't know what happened to first download :facepalm:

If i was you, i'd do a basic setup ie set your speaker distances, speakers small, sub present and initial crossover of 80Hz, do a level match using either the internal test tones, or preferably using an external source and calibration disc and SPL meter. Get used to the natural sound of your new speakers and get some hours on them before you bother doing a Dirac calibration.
So, basically you are suggesting a bit of "warm-up" free from any calibration... It might be an idea also because I suppose I should listen to them in different configurations, towers can be both sealed and ported, even if I suppose sealed might better (in theory). Ok, thanks for the tip.

ATC SCM 19, so the passive consumer version of the ones you are looking at. I'm very impressed so far, but it is early days as I only picked them up this morning.
I upgraded to a pair of ATC SCM40A’s recently and they are superb with the AV860. Fantastic bass and control, almost make my Velodyne sub redundant

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom