Arcam AVR390 / AVR550 / AVR850 including Dirac Live®

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jim Whitaker, FYI seem to now show the P349 as discontinued on their website

Perhaps a bargain to be had?

@Jim Whitaker, FYI seem to now show the P349 as discontinued on their website

Perhaps a bargain to be had?
Yes discontinued - no more are being made. May be a PA340 at some point but who knows?
I think you’ll be hard pressed to find one from a dealer for under £2.5k as there are only a few of these about. I waited weeks to find one at that. But I guess anything is possible.

The offer I'm looking at is in the US from a source online that normally deals with used higher end audio. Price for anything Arcam is more here anyway so I think it's a fair price. Plus the unit is killer for the 850. My real issue is if Arcam honors its warranty from such sale? Seems likely.

The offer I'm looking at is in the US from a source online that normally deals with used higher end audio. Price for anything Arcam is more here anyway so I think it's a fair price. Plus the unit is killer for the 850. My real issue is if Arcam honors its warranty from such sale? Seems likely.
Oh apologies I didn’t realise you were in the States. Arcam are very fair with their warranties; I’d say you’d be fine, you could always ring them and ask.

Any ETA on Dirac v2.5....? I've changed a sub and some furniture since doing my last calibration so I really need to do a new one, but don't want to have to do it twice (or battle with a flakey version of Dirac).

Any ETA on Dirac v2.5....? I've changed a sub and some furniture since doing my last calibration so I really need to do a new one, but don't want to have to do it twice (or battle with a flakey version of Dirac).

Last I heard (2 weeks ago now) was that it was imminent. Perhaps Flavio (@flax) can enlighten us.

I have had a go with the 2.5 beta rc2 and it seems fairly stable to me operationally on Windows 10. I have still not really been successful in obtaining a set of measurements that beat my V1 manually tweaked calibration but that’s not really relevant to the stability of the beta test.

I would still love to be be able to adjust the speaker levels using the windows up and down keys in .1db clicks (my keypad mouse makes this a time consuming business) and have asked Flavio (@flax) if that could be coded in but received no response.

With my partner in the house most of the time now it has been hard to find a slot to remeasure.

I don’t know if Adam managed to get his Win10 crashing issues resolved?

I have had a go with the 2.5 beta rc2 and it seems fairly stable to me operationally on Windows 10. I have still not really been successful in obtaining a set of measurements that beat my V1 manually tweaked calibration but that’s not really relevant to the stability of the beta test.

I would still love to be be able to adjust the speaker levels using the windows up and down keys in .1db clicks (my keypad mouse makes this a time consuming business) and have asked Flavio (@flax) if that could be coded in but received no response.

With my partner in the house most of the time now it has been hard to find a slot to remeasure.

I don’t know if Adam managed to get his Win10 crashing issues resolved?

Yes the crashing issue has been resolved with 2.5 RC1. If you have feedback or comments I would recommend you create a support ticket on the Dirac help desk instead of contacting Flavio directly.

This way you can directly talk to the developers, I have found another bug related to exporting target curves to text files but they are unable to reproduce it :confused: so I guess it must just be me but its not a massive issue.

With Hans leaving Dirac I am sure they are having to reshuffle peoples roles so I guess this is the cause of the delay but this is a stab in the dark.

Yes the crashing issue has been resolved with 2.5 RC1. If you have feedback or comments I would recommend you create a support ticket on the Dirac help desk instead of contacting Flavio directly.

This way you can directly talk to the developers, I have found another bug related to exporting target curves to text files but they are unable to reproduce it :confused: so I guess it must just be me but its not a massive issue.

With Hans leaving Dirac I am sure they are having to reshuffle peoples roles so I guess this is the cause of the delay but this is a stab in the dark.

I didn't realise Hans had left Dirac. That explains why Frans started to support me.

Agreed on letting the Dirac Help Desk know about any bugs. I've found them very communicative and helpful.

Good news! Dirac v2.5.2 is available. If it's as good as the beta version RC2, then I think most, if not all will like it.

Many thanks Dirac & Flavio. :thumbsup: :D

I have taken a REW measurement of the mains + sub this morning to see if I can work out the best phase setting for the sub. I'm using a 100hz crossover. The idea is to try to improve sub/sat integration.

Does anyone know where the phase should be at the crossover or what I should be looking at?

Attachments

• SPL.png
    SPL.png
    97.9 KB · Views: 69
  • SPL_Phase.PNG
    SPL_Phase.PNG
    100.1 KB · Views: 71
Hello guys, how are you? hope you're all safe, I'm planning on doing another calibration when the official 2.5 Dirac comes out, currently using the 2.5 RC1, and it seems very stable and good, I've seen online at different sites, during the initial speakers level settings, some say to adjust the sub level manually from the back with the knobs, others say it's ok to just move the slider to adjust the level, now, I can't remember what I did last time, which is the correct way to do it??

Hello guys, how are you? hope you're all safe, I'm planning on doing another calibration when the official 2.5 Dirac comes out, currently using the 2.5 RC1, and it seems very stable and good, I've seen online at different sites, during the initial speakers level settings, some say to adjust the sub level manually from the back with the knobs, others say it's ok to just move the slider to adjust the level, now, I can't remember what I did last time, which is the correct way to do it??
Look two posts up!

Look two posts up!
I'm not looking at the crossover, just the volume level of the sub, whether to use the sliders in Dirac at the beginning of the calibration, or use the gain knob on the sub, hope I'm explaining ok, apology if not

I'm not looking at the crossover, just the volume level of the sub, whether to use the sliders in Dirac at the beginning of the calibration, or use the gain knob on the sub, hope I'm explaining ok, apology if not
You’re not still using one of those old fashioned subs with knobs on the back are you? 👹.
Seriously though I would set the sub about mid position to start and see how the level compares in dirac with the average level of the other speakers. You can then add or subtract a bit using your knob to taste 😁

You’re not still using one of those old fashioned subs with knobs on the back are you? 👹.
Seriously though I would set the sub about mid position to start and see how the level compares in dirac with the average level of the other speakers. You can then add or subtract a bit using your knob to taste 😁
Thank you for that, I will try that later this afternoon, as I'm not going anywhere :D :D

Indeed a big difference. Sound tone getting much closer to the cinema experience !

May get a UMIK MIC to see if can further improve.

Indeed a big difference. Sound tone getting much closer to the cinema experience !

May get a UMIK MIC to see if can further improve.

I have both a UMIK 1 and an XTZ mic. Both are much better than either of the Arcam supplied mics.

"Indeed a big difference. Sound tone getting much closer to the cinema experience"

Yes I found the same, my 390 never sounded as good

I have both a UMIK 1 and an XTZ mic. Both are much better than either of the Arcam supplied mics.

Good to hear. I will get one and retry.

Somehow I feel that the right speaker sound louder than the left even though dirac set the left speaker at 0.5 db higher.

Good to hear. I will get one and retry.

Somehow I feel that the right speaker sound louder than the left even though dirac set the left speaker at 0.5 db higher.

May be worth doing a new calibration using v2.5.2. I found that the beta version of v2.5 did a very good job of matching my speaker levels.

"Indeed a big difference. Sound tone getting much closer to the cinema experience"

Yes I found the same, my 390 never sounded as good
What you need now is a mint one owner 850.......😁

May be worth doing a new calibration using v2.5.2. I found that the beta version of v2.5 did a very good job of matching my speaker levels.
Do we need to do a new measurement, or can we use an existing measurement, load that, and get Dirac to regenerate filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom