Arcam Avr550

jako999

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I’ve had my new av now for just under a week and I have to say what a fantastic bit of kit blows my away my old Yamaha for quality.
I set up the dirac on the first day and the sound quality stepped up again but just a quick question about the volume, with eq off the volume is ok but with eq on the volume is quite low is thigh correct? There is really no volume under 35 and I find a to listen at a average volume for both music or films I have to set the volume at around 65 to 70 and have been up at 80 sometimes if I want it loud.
My speakers are 4ohms is this causing a problem?
What are the fixes for this or are these the normal sort of volume levels for everyone else?

Thanks

Well I’ve had my new av now for just under a week and I have to say what a fantastic bit of kit blows my away my old Yamaha for quality.
I set up the dirac on the first day and the sound quality stepped up again but just a quick question about the volume, with eq off the volume is ok but with eq on the volume is quite low is thigh correct? There is really no volume under 35 and I find a to listen at a average volume for both music or films I have to set the volume at around 65 to 70 and have been up at 80 sometimes if I want it loud.
My speakers are 4ohms is this causing a problem?
What are the fixes for this or are these the normal sort of volume levels for everyone else?

Thanks
Possibly if the 4ohms is also combined with low efficiency speakers. Only the AVR850 shows 4 ohm speaker power output level AVR550 just shows for 8 ohms so I suspect it's not really designed for 4 ohm speakers . There's mention of it cutting out at reference volumes with 4 ohm speakers.
Arcam avr550

Also a new AVR550 user.
With eq on playing a UHD at an equivalent volume to my Marantz 7012 set at -20 to -18 I've found so far around 65/67ish has been OK. For the Disney/Marvell UHDs where I'd be at -12 or so, I'm in the low to mid 70's. Never had to go to 80 with my 8 ohm fairly efficient speakers.

Last edited:
The numbers mean nothing on the Arcam's. If you want to know where you are at in terms of SPL levels, then you have to measure. If you are using a Umik-1 for Dirac, you can use the same mic with some free software, REW, which will give you a very accurate SPL meter.

Thanks I have Qacoustic floors then a set of Kef eggs for surround.
It sounds like you are around similar levels, the 80 is only if I want it cranked up.
How are you getting on with your compared to your old unit? I almost bought a Yamaha 3080 but I’m pleased with my choice.

The numbers mean nothing on the Arcam's. If you want to know where you are at in terms of SPL levels, then you have to measure. If you are using a Umik-1 for Dirac, you can use the same mic with some free software, REW, which will give you a very accurate SPL meter.
You can also use the supplied Arcam V2 mic (tiny like a cigar) with REW too.

Thanks I have Qacoustic floors then a set of Kef eggs for surround.
It sounds like you are around similar levels, the 80 is only if I want it cranked up.
If they are the 2050i they are showing as 92dB sensitivity so efficient and not needing a lot of power to get them loud. The other ones of theirs I've just looked at are also 92db sensitivity but 6 ohms.
How are you getting on with your compared to your old unit? I almost bought a Yamaha 3080 but I’m pleased with my choice.
The Jury is out so far...
While a bit better sounding for stereo I'm not sure that a much cheaper stereo amp wouldn't do an equal or better job.

I've only watched a couple of movies so far but the AVR550 seems better at steering sound effects.
While watching John Wick 3 yesterday I heard a knife blade swish through the air by my seat which I'd never noticed while watching it using my Marantz. I just need to get a best of atmos soundtracks movie run lined up for the next couple of weeks to decide if the AVR550 is staying or going.

Operationaly in regards to user friendliness it's not in the same league as my Marantz.

Operationaly in regards to user friendliness it's not in the same league as my Marantz.
Yes, that is true. The Denon and Marantz AVRs are packed full of features and very easy to get to know and use. But in my main room, they sounded a bit meh. I do use them still in other rooms.

It depends what league you want to be in.. best sound, or best features?

Yes, that is true. The Denon and Marantz AVRs are packed full of features and very easy to get to know and use. But in my main room, they sounded a bit meh. I do use them still in other rooms.

It depends what league you want to be in.. best sound, or best features?
That is biased on the AVR550 offering the best sound. I'm not convinced it does.
Stereo music perhaps, movies I don't know.

REW simulator showed the bass response in my room would be improved by setting the front L/R floorstanders crossover at 60Hz to let their bass sort out some room nulls (which is what they were set at before I got the AVR550).

But that 60Hz crossover wouldn't be a good idea for my surrounds as they don't have the power handling or low bass response and 80Hz would be better for them Easy to do in my Marantz where the crossover can be set for each channel pair, impossible to do in the AVR550 with just the one floor level crossover available so I've had to use 80Hz. That is a fairly good feature of the Denon/Marantz. I also think so far that Audyssey Sub Eq HT/XT32 is doing a bit better job at the low frequencies with my two subs than the Arcam is.

Last edited:
That is biased on the AVR550 offering the best sound. I'm not convinced it does.
Stereo music perhaps, movies I don't know.

REW simulator showed the bass response in my room would be improved by setting the front L/R floorstanders crossover at 60Hz to let their bass sort out some room nulls (which is what they were set at before I got the AVR550).

But that 60Hz crossover wouldn't be a good idea for my surrounds as they don't have the power handling or low bass response and 80Hz would be better for them Easy to do in my Marantz where the crossover can be set for each channel pair, impossible to do in the AVR550 with just the one floor level crossover available so I've had to use 80Hz. That is a fairly good feature of the Denon/Marantz. I also think so far that Audyssey Sub Eq HT/XT32 is doing a bit better job at the low frequencies with my two subs than the Arcam is.
The Arcam sounds much better in my room than any of my many previous AVRs for both music and movies, hence the Bias. But I do prefer a very light touch of Dirac. If you have just run Dirac and applied it at the default curves, you may not be getting the best possible sound.

Having said that, I spent a lot of time choosing my speakers and subs and setting up my room, including some light acoustic treatments, so I don't need a lot of help with room correction to get the system sounding good.

Yes, the global crossover for the base level speakers is annoying. I think the new HDA range allows individual crossovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I’m looking for a bit of help and advice. This is my setup

arcam avr600 (currently being Used as a power amp where all speakers are connected to)
Arcam avr550 (which i suppose I’m using more like a processor)

At present I’m using a 5.1 setup, but I’m using channels 6 and 7 as a biamp/biwire scenario. So all speaker terminals on the avr600 are used and none are being used on the a

at present very happy with movies and music. But I’m looking now at adding 4 ceiling speakers for atmos.

so my question is, can I connect 4ceiling speakers to the avr550? If so where. On the back of the avr550 if I’m not mistaken it can only take 2 as I only see 2 height channels.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi @safraz you will need to move some of the base layer speakers to be powered by the Arcam AVR550 in order to free up some channels on the AVR600 for the four ceiling speakers.

The amps on the AVR550, the main five channels are not assignable, only 6 and 7 are.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom