Arcam SA30 Integrated Amplifier Review & Comments

Multiple reported software issues but 9 out of 10 for Ease of Use????????????????????????

Look at all of the recent reviews. 9 means average. 10 is good.

If you actually read the reviews instead of just looking at the scores you would learn a lot about the actual product. So much so, that you wouldn't need to check the scores afterwards.

Neither the SA30 or M10 will now NOT work as Roon endpoints - Roon has tightened up the partner requirements and unsupported devices (as of 21/9) can no longer be enabled. Existing, connected devices had to be self certified by 21/9.

Neither the SA30 or M10 will now NOT work as Roon endpoints - Roon has tightened up the partner requirements and unsupported devices (as of 21/9) can no longer be enabled. Existing, connected devices had to be self certified by 21/9.

You can ask Roon for a Developer marking on your account so the device continues working. Take a look here:

Edit: Actually that offer may have ended at the beginning of this week.

I have an M10, though I don't use Roon I believe the M10 was fully certified a few days ago.

If you actually read the reviews instead of just looking at the scores you would learn a lot about the actual product. So much so, that you wouldn't need to check the scores afterwards.

So the scores are meaningless?

So the scores are meaningless?
No, but scores don't tell you the whole story, you need to read the review to find out why the reviewer has reached the conclusions they have.

No, but scores don't tell you the whole story, you need to read the review to find out why the reviewer has reached the conclusions they have.
A good example for me was a reviewer giving a device a high score, despite something that they thought was a minor flaw. For me, that particular flaw would be a deal-breaker, but I accept the reviewers point that for most of the likely users of the device it wouldn't be, and so the high score wasn't "incorrect".

A good example for me was a reviewer giving a device a high score, despite something that they thought was a minor flaw. For me, that particular flaw would be a deal-breaker, but I accept the reviewers point that for most of the likely users of the device it wouldn't be, and so the high score wasn't "incorrect".

Fair enough. I suspect the Roon certification will arrive soonish, a Roon employee on another forum mentioned they have an SA30 but it failed the first try at certification so I'm sure they intend to get it certified. The streaming / "NET" part of the firmware of this model is shared with all of the Arcam HDA receivers, a few JBL Synthesis and the Audiocontrol X range so Arcam have alot of eggs in that basket.

Fair enough. I suspect the Roon certification will arrive soonish, a Roon employee on another forum mentioned they have an SA30 but it failed the first try at certification so I'm sure they intend to get it certified. The streaming / "NET" part of the firmware of this model is shared with all of the Arcam HDA receivers, a few JBL Synthesis and the Audiocontrol X range so Arcam have alot of eggs in that basket.
Don’t rely on it, the only Arcam device certified is the Solo Uno. Huge gap which according to Roon is an Arcam fault and vice versa. But as it stands you buy one today it WILL NOT as a roon end point.

Ed IMHO pretty much always writes an interesting review. I for one am grateful that we get to read for free his reviews on AVF. Ed writes some funny and innovative stuff, especially if you read some of the staid and straight laced magazine reviews out there.

I find I read his reviews even if it’s not a product I‘d consider or buy. Although the forum naturally has more AV content, it’s important to have good two channel and related product coverage.

Wherever anything AV, movie, cars etc has a scored rating, it’s not exactly a scientific process to reach a review score. Mostly there are no absolutes. If you really are interested in something, it’s best to get a home loan to try with your gear/equipment. Or at least RTFM, online of course!

Ed is an asset to the forums (other forum reviewers are available) 😀 The reviewers here have tested more equipment than any forum member, apart from those in the business. So they know a thing or two.

Great job guys!!

I’m not being offensive but the review, regarding roon, is wrong. It’s only changed in the past few weeks but still this is a well regarded forum and needs to be accurate.

Can you confirm what DSD formats are supported? There's no mention of DSD in the specs on Arcam's website or the manual or the changelog for the firmware.

I did read the review which is why I don't think the scores accurately reflect what was written about the failings of the software - yet again

Last edited:
I have spoken to Arcam and have this response.

'Roon has several families of devices for testing- Uno, SA30, and Arcam / JBL AVRs. The Uno has completed testing and is certified, the SA30 is being iterated in testing, and then the AVR devices, which are the most complex. We are aware of the recent change to how Roon acts with these devices and will be working to complete that testing. In the meantime, you can learn how to make sure the devices will keep working with Roon at this Roon Community post... https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-fix-for-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/120426'

Yes, when I saw the headline, I thought this was going to be a £200-300 amp!

I think the amount of people who have £2k to splash out on an amp, is decreasing daily.

It‘s not cheap, but it does work well as a one box solution integrating amp, phono stages, room correction and a very capable streamer (plus Roon end point if you bought one before last week). Software is still a bit fragile though!

Yes, when I saw the headline, I thought this was going to be a £200-300 amp!

I think the amount of people who have £2k to splash out on an amp, is decreasing daily.
Agree but it’s not just an amp. It’s a streamer as well.

Can you confirm what DSD formats are supported? There's no mention of DSD in the specs on Arcam's website or the manual or the changelog for the firmware.

The internal media player can handle stereo DSD. The AVRs can also handle DSD over HDMI but not sure if the SA30 can.

I did read the review which is why I don't think the scores accurately reflect what was written about the failings of the software - yet aga

This the point I was making however I feel the need to say Ed's reviews are some of the best quality out there and much more informative/honest than anything available in hard copy print.

Users on AVForums are telling the whole story - why isn't the review? Still don't get the scoring based on the review.

Yep agree, as much as I do enjoy the sound of the SA30 it's the most infuriating piece of hifi kit I've ever purchased. Since yesterday I have been setting the wheels in motion to sell it, and am on the look out for a new amp that just does what a good old fashioned amp does. It won't involve software of any description!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom