Are live channels on bbc iplayer in 4k?

videogamingtown

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a 4k tv and this would help make my decision easier . Is 4k available for the live channels or just catchup?

renderTimingPixel.png

Of course not there is no 4K source for live TV. Catchup may be available for a short period until the BBC offers physical 4K disk content,

No live channels available in 4k on BBC iplayer.

But selected catch up programmes are available in 4k uhd via iplayer...you do need a decent Internet connection for a buffer free experience(20 mps)

honestly thought they had a 4k feed, bit behind the times because 4k devices are becoming more mainstream now .

iPlayer is brutally compressed 720p with stereo sound. If you have a large TV, it's unwatchable.

Yep agree. Spooks original series (in fairness it is 18 years old) looks horrendous on a 55" set

Yep agree. Spooks original series (in fairness it is 18 years old) looks horrendous on a 55" set
Of course any SD material doesn’t look great, but HD source material shown at 720 is most certainly not unwatchable on a 4K 55 inch screen. The sheer number of iPlayer viewings disproves that entirely (22 million in one day in May for example).

Of course any SD material doesn’t look great, but HD source material shown at 720 is most certainly not unwatchable on a 4K 55 inch screen. The sheer number of iPlayer viewings disproves that entirely (22 million in one day in May for example).

I have a 65" OLED. 720p looks like a blurry mess, it's not watchable. It doesn't help that the bitrate is so absurdity low.

I have a 65" OLED. 720p looks like a blurry mess, it's not watchable. It doesn't help that the bitrate is so absurdity low.
Everyone will have their opinion, but for the vast majority of the viewing public it is perfectly watchable, myself included.

I find BBC iplayer to look really impressive on my 55B7 oled! Again it depends on your Internet connection(mines wired via ethernet) and its never looked bad to me.

Everyone will have their opinion, but for the vast majority of the viewing public it is perfectly watchable, myself included.

It's 5mbit 720p with stereo sound. That's arguably worse than a DVD.

Most people have small TVs and likely don't really care what things look like, so for them, I'm sure it's enough. But this is an AV forum for people who buy UHD BDs and expect audio to be essentially uncompressed Atmos.

Netflix is watchable but it's often borderline. Apple TV+ is the best looking of all the streaming services.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom