Answered Are prices putting you off.

Like many here I have paid 19.99 for a couple of Must haves. But with one or two rare exceptions I generally don't pay more than 15 pounds for any 4K disc. Then there are those films that I'm totally sure about except for the fact that they will look and sound decent on my system. For those I don't tend to spend more than 10 pounds. Amazon.it helped a lot with that.

Don’t forget sales tax, prices in the US appear good at first glance but quickly approach the U.K. price once those taxes are applied.

I personally don’t think the age of the film should have any bearing on its cost, it’s all about the presentation and if we want catalogue titles that actually have some TLC used in their preparation then that costs money and expecting the studio to do it out of the goodness of their heart and put it out at £10 is just not realistic, they are in this to make money and while it makes sense to us that dropping the price might increase sales they don’t see it that way so if catalogue titles don’t sell they are likely to just stop releasing them all together and that would be a disaster for all film lovers.
Agreed. Even though I agree that the retail prices tend to be too high, to state the obvious, the value of a film is not the same as its cost. For some films we will pay more. I paid 20 for the Matrix while barely thinking about it. On the other hand, I waited until I got Gladiator for 10 even though it is one of my favourite films because I realised that I have watched The Matrix way more than I have watched Gladiator.

While the price of newly released standard blu's is still £12+ I don't see that we can expect 4k to drop.... Unfortunately... .

For me, it depends how badly I want a film or how stupid I am with my money lol. Sometimes( which is 99% of the time) I just can't wait!! :hiya:

I do wish more releases would follow the example of Solo and Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom where the included Blu-Ray is of little value as the extras are either on the UHD or a bonus disc so you can sell on the Blu-Ray to bring the price down and before someone says they should just stop including them you can be sure even if they did the RRP would not decrease anywhere near as much as the money you can get back from selling on the disc.

I do wish more releases would follow the example of Solo and Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom where the included Blu-Ray is of little value as the extras are either on the UHD or a bonus disc so you can sell on the Blu-Ray to bring the price down and before someone says they should just stop including them you can be sure even if they did the RRP would not decrease anywhere near as much as the money you can get back from selling on the disc.

...but you shouldn't in effect be forced to pay for a bd you don't need - just the 4k that you buy it for at a cheaper price would be the better solution.....

Would be but it won’t happen, Disney releases used to be the film, a bonus disc, a copy on DVD and a digital copy for £15 and what do we get now, just the Blu-Ray and nothing else for...£15

I got three Rambo films from WOWHD for less than £14 each- as well as the blu, they have USA codes i would expect to get £2-£3 each for bringing the price down even further.

image.jpg

Already available in Dolby Vision and Atmos, weeks before the disc I pre-ordered will arrive (3rd December UK release date).

I'd love to watch the film but there's no way in hell I'm going to pay for it twice, so it's really tempting to sack off the disc order and just stream it for almost half the price.

For info for anyone interested in the digital version - aside from the debate over picture / sound quality - the iTunes version of this was £11.99 pre-order (looks like it’s gone up to £13.99) and is in 4K / DV / Atmos with all the commentaries and isolated score plus the extras. Haven’t watched it yet to confirm the IMAX sequences.

so if you buy it on itunes uk, will it stay in your collection or is that down to the distributor continuing to use itunes?

Will only buy must have discs in UHD, will pick up a bargain from time to time, otherwise I’m quite happy to pick up cheaper itunes versions.

so if you buy it on itunes uk, will it stay in your collection or is that down to the distributor continuing to use itunes?

Good question. I suspect it's the latter. You (we) don't own a physical copy, and if you want the UHD version it's only available via streaming. The HD versions I believe can be downloaded, but whether or not DRM would prevent you watching a downloaded film in the event it's no longer available I couldn't say.

Don't forget how much we paid to get AC-3 Laser Discs

People don't research properly and complain about prices. This is not new as we have seen the same trend with DVDs and Blu-rays.

Remember paying $35 for Blu-rays when I used to live in Japan 11 years agi and sadly they still charge the same.

Laserdisc was much more a collector's/enthusiasts thing than UHD blu-ray. If you wanted the best laserdiscs you pretty much either imported them or went to Tower records.

I have to admit I am surprised that we’ve also got to a point where steelbooks are costing £30+, even if they are 4K.

Physical all the way for me. If I need to pay more for it, so be it. The quality should be better and if the distributor falls out with the supplier I've still got my movie. As for the price. If you take for example 2001 then yes it IS worth as the presentation is out of this world (no pun intended). There are some though where the Blu Ray actually looks better.

For those old school like me who used to import USA laserdiscs, £25 for a good UHD is some what of a bargain lol

I gave in to temptation and bought MI: Fallout from the iTunes Store last night.

The film itself was brilliant, easily my favourite popcorn movie of the year, but the viewing experience was ruined by my rubbish broadband which paused the action for up to two minutes a time, a minimum of four times while I was watching.

Disc ordered this morning :)

I gave in to temptation and bought MI: Fallout from the iTunes Store last night.

The film itself was brilliant, easily my favourite popcorn movie of the year, but the viewing experience was ruined by my rubbish broadband which paused the action for up to two minutes a time, a minimum of four times while I was watching.

Disc ordered this morning :)

CrApple!

Last edited:
Keep an eye on places like Zoom which have had these at some much better deals. Also the 4Ks are very new, whereas the BluRays have been living around for a while.
Zoom have the individual 4Ks for £12, which are even less with the 10% discount code. Just have to be patient for the boxsets to drop :)

4k Mission: Impossible - The 6-movie Collection
£99.99
Mission: Impossible - The 6-movie Collection

Blu-ray Mission: Impossible - The 6-movie Collection
£34.99

Costs £65 extra for 4k version :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Or the 5 movie version

4k Mission: Impossible 1-5
£69.99
Mission: Impossible 1-5

Blu-ray Mission: Impossible 1-5
£14.99

And £39.99 fit the six movie set on iTunes in 4K Dolby Vision. That's actually kind of high, it was £29.99 recently.

The five movie collection is £23.99 in 4K.

And £39.99 fit the six movie set on iTunes in 4K Dolby Vision. That's actually kind of high, it was £29.99 recently.

The five movie collection is £23.99 in 4K.
If I watch a movie by a streaming service I normally only want to rent it...

4k Mission: Impossible - The 6-movie Collection
£99.99

Blu-ray Mission: Impossible - The 6-movie Collection
£34.99

Costs £65 extra for 4k version :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Or the 5 movie version

4k Mission: Impossible 1-5
£69.99

Blu-ray Mission: Impossible 1-5
£14.99

Not sure why but both those sets have shot up as the 1-5 set was £35 not long ago and the 1-6 set was £60.00 only a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom