Question Are Vita Audio units exactly the same as their Ruark eqivalents?

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few Vita Audio units listed much cheaper than the same Ruark one, yet claiming they are the same.

Is this true?

Vita Audio changed changed its name to Ruark in 2012, I think for international branding reasons. Initially, the Vita and Ruark units were identical. However, all the Ruark units have been updated, sometimes more than once.

Therefore, all Vita Audio units are now at least eight years old and not the same as current models and as you would expect much cheaper.

I thought Ruark are around since the 70s?

Ruark was formed in 1985 and were known for their high quality speakers, which are still well regarded today. They have changed direction to make radios and small audio units and no longer make large hi fi speakers.

And excellent little radios they are too.
Yeah I see they are well reviewed.

I asked this question originally as I seen the highly reviewed Ruark R4i CD system and was tempted.

Then I see a Vita Audio R4 which is identical looking and appears to be made by Ruark too.

So I was wondering is the Vita Audio one exactly the same inside and produce the same sound, or does it use cheaper parts ?

Like Grumpsimus said, Ruark originally put out their single box radios/music systems under the Vita Audio brand before re-branding them as Ruark Audio. At the point they re-branded, the Vita and Ruark models were afaik identical, bar the name on the front. Since then, however, Ruark have updated the various models (the current R1, R2 and R4 are the mark 3 versions), mainly to include more modern functions (streaming, bluetooth etc).

So, if you're looking at a new Ruark R1 (mark 3), then it won't be identical to a Vita Audio R1 but a mark 2 Ruark R1 would be identical to a mark 2 Vita R1.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
There's a guide on their website that shows which versions of Vita/Ruark models were made:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom