Arendal Sound Subwoofers - Owners & Discussion

What I found remarkable is that they say stacking subs(till ceiling) is better then putting them in L&R front corners.....

Hi there, just wondering if anyone can offer their thoughts/experiences of using Arendal subs in general (and/or specifically the 1961 1S as that's the one I'm considering) with Lyngdorf stereo amp (TDAI 2170) and Room Perfect? Be good to hear how RP and the EQ on the subs interact (bit of a sub novice so forgive the potentially stupid questions!) Cheers
Probably should have mentioned I will be using the 1S (possibly) in a 2.1 100% music only system. If anyone is using it exclusively for music be good to hear your thoughts. Thanks for looking.

Probably should have mentioned I will be using the 1S (possibly) in a 2.1 100% music only system. If anyone is using it exclusively for music be good to hear your thoughts. Thanks for looking.

Well Arendal are claiming the 2s is the worlds best subwoofer for music, regardless of price. Big statement indeed!!

I’d imagine the 1s will be almost as awesome 👍🏻

Well Arendal are claiming the 2s is the worlds best subwoofer for music, regardless of price. Big statement indeed!!

I’d imagine the 1s will be almost as awesome 👍🏻
Ha! The 2s will never make it into our kitchen sadly...
but that’s still a good recommendation for the 1s. Thanks

So this is a bummer since my Sub 1 just arrived on Wednesday and Arendal said nothing about these models coming, or that my model (Black Satin) would be reduced. I guess the 44% price hike is the only saving grace as I'm not sure the extra ~£360 is worth it for the new features.

So this is a bummer since my Sub 1 just arrived on Wednesday and Arendal said nothing about these models coming, or that my model (Black Satin) would be reduced. I guess the 44% price hike is the only saving grace as I'm not sure the extra ~£360 is worth it for the new features.

Could be worse.....I bought a Tesla Model S 20 months ago, 1 month later they announced price reductions, my particular model dropped £25k :eek: :facepalm: :mad:

<Stupid Question>
Going purely by the published CEA figures, won’t stacked 1961 1S units give similar or better performance than the 2s, but for significantly less cost? What am I missing?
</Stupid Question>

<Stupid Question>
Going purely by the published CEA figures, won’t stacked 1961 1S units give similar or better performance than the 2s, but for significantly less cost? What am I missing?
</Stupid Question>
That's surely not a stupid question;) If these numbers are accurate, two stacked sub 1s would indeed match or even exceed the deep bass performance of a Sub 2S, only from 50Hz and upwards the 2S would have a slight upper hand.

The difference lies in the driver, Arendal claims, that the (higher quality?) driver of the 1723 series can produce a better quality of bass. So more punch, more dynamics and just a cleaner sound overall. Whereas the 1961 is mostly designed to reproduce as much deep bass output as possible at the expense of some of the quality and finesse in the bass response.
How much this difference is really audible - especially under "real-world" circumstances in a room- I dont know. Having owned a 1723 Sub 1, I can only say the bass quality of that one is excellent.

The 1723 series also uses other (better?) amplifiers. Furthermore they use bigger cabinets (=more expensive to ship) and a more refined finish. If you purely want the most output in the deepest bass for movies the 1961 seem the way to go though...I'm sure they do sound great as well.

All that money for a silly display 😂
Well the 1961-series have displays as well... I really don't like that Arendal didn't forego using a DSP-amp and instead make the subs abit cheaper...:(

And if you go down that route- at least create and app to actually enhance the usability.

Well if the price has reduced since you bought them then I'd reach out to them and ask what they can do for you. I've certainly bought audio gear on more than one occasion when this has happened and I've been refunded the difference, especially when you're still within the 14day return distance selling law.

Last edited:
Hey, they said they'd refund the difference :)

It seems like a sensible move for them to do that. Certainly gives you ( and others ) more confidence to just go ahead and purchase their speakers. I've seen the specs of the new ones and they look good. I'm more than happy with my 2xSub1's. However, I might be tempted to move them over to my office stereo to fill out the bottom end of my speakers and treat myself later to some of the newer ones. Or just keep adding more... As everyone tells me, you can't have too many !

Ha! The 2s will never make it into our kitchen sadly...
but that’s still a good recommendation for the 1s. Thanks
Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered a 1S, it ships tomorrow. Really looking forward to my first Arendal sub even if I don't really know what it will be like....however it's been very helpful reading a good proportion of this forum so feeling pretty confident!

Well, I've taken the plunge and ordered a 1S, it ships tomorrow. Really looking forward to my first Arendal sub even if I don't really know what it will be like....however it's been very helpful reading a good proportion of this forum so feeling pretty confident!
I had been out of the home theatre stuff for a lot of years. I bought mine based on reviews and they are totally awsum. I would however say that my denon x3500 didn't quite handle the base correctly and it was not quite right. I bought a second hand AntiMode 8033II ( I think it is ) and that just perfect. It's a plug and play bit of kit that auto-room corrects the sub. See how you get on, if possible see if some one can lend you one. I'm running two Sub1's on mine in opposing corners of the room and it sounds great. I use that as my solution as I can't afford a more expensive processor to deal with it. However, I have of late been looking at some other gear, but this is not the correct thread for that discussion.

I had been out of the home theatre stuff for a lot of years. I bought mine based on reviews and they are totally awsum. I would however say that my denon x3500 didn't quite handle the base correctly and it was not quite right. I bought a second hand AntiMode 8033II ( I think it is ) and that just perfect. It's a plug and play bit of kit that auto-room corrects the sub. See how you get on, if possible see if some one can lend you one. I'm running two Sub1's on mine in opposing corners of the room and it sounds great. I use that as my solution as I can't afford a more expensive processor to deal with it. However, I have of late been looking at some other gear, but this is not the correct thread for that discussion.
Really good to hear about your experiences and very encouraging to hear that you are so pleased with your Sub1's. I have a Lyngdorf 2170 stereo amp which has so far proved to be fab with bass management/integration so I'm very hopeful the 1S will be a good match in a 2.1 set up.

Single driver and ported/sealed as you like, £1000.00 it seems, could be a nice fit for dual subs at a step above the Sub 1 without moving into dual driver territory?
Just to let any potential wanna be sub 1 owners out there that I will likely be moving my pair on and getting a pair of sub 2s to sit behind me screen 😳
Yes interested. Sent you a PM

I wonder if their new top of the line subwoofer will take the price as the best in class subwoofer under £4k.

That is like in the JTR Captivator 4000 territory

Yeah I don’t suspect there is any chance of the larger vented model beating everything sub £4K - not even close given the competition especially in the states. I do wonder however whether the 2s might vie for the sealed crown up to a point - certainly if you value certain attributes it will likely best everything from svs even the 16 IMHO and given what we know of the old range and of the changes to the new - I think it will run even a fathom f113 or b&w db1d, very close - all conjecture of course but since we are musing, those are mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom