Arendal Sound Subwoofers - Owners & Discussion

Over 100db at 20hz should be possible if corner loaded and placed 2meters from listener. It hit 96db @ 20hz outside looking the Arendals data (2m RMS) and 99,3db for peak (from 2meters). EQ1 and 160hz lowpass.

Why do you think this?

Based on some people's posted REW graphs owning 1961s, it can get very low.
Small driver and small cabinet. It's not going to be loud at 20hz
I've emailed Arendal, let see what they say 👍
Over 100db at 20hz should be possible if corner loaded and placed 2meters from listener. It hit 96db @ 20hz outside looking the Arendals data (2m RMS) and 99,3db for peak (from 2meters). EQ1 and 160hz lowpass.
Check you haven’t got the second EQ setting on as that drops off quickly much earlier.

I have 2 1s’s and they are very loud at 20hz.

the 1961 go comfortably lower than 20hz, so much so @Jenz had to put a filter on at 16hz as it was too much in his room.

the 1961 go comfortably lower than 20hz, so much so @Jenz had to put a filter on at 16hz as it was too much in his room.

Those were my thoughts from what I saw from the rew graphs

Check you haven’t got the second EQ setting on as that drops off quickly much earlier.

I have 2 1s’s and they are very loud at 20hz.
Tbh wasn't sure if it was down to my Auydessy set up - here are my graphs from MultiEQ
Screenshot_20201022-202630_MultEQ.jpg

Hi Gasp,

May be being thick, but I'm getting -14dB to reference at 20 Hz so 61dB?

Are the numbers you quote what it should be? If so, it's ovef 30dB difference?

Hi Gasp,

May be being thick, but I'm getting -14dB to reference at 20 Hz so 61dB?

Are the numbers you quote what it should be? If so, it's ovef 30dB difference?
The after graph is simulated. You don´t see the real after response without Rew and Umik.

~38hz it drops like stone? o_O Something is not right.

Do you have the EQ1 set from the menu? Is the crossover bypassed (160hz)? Is subsonic filter turned off? Not familiar with the settings.

Where is the subwoofer located and where do you sit roughly in your room? Give some info.

Could be some sort of null. Move the sub somewhere else (middle of the room would do, it's just for the measurement, not for good) and measure again, see if it changes drastically.

Checking sub settings is probably easier, but moving is another option you have.

I did ask Sparechange if he'd review the PSA subwoofers and he said they aren't good enough for the channel. My man is brave lol.

:laugh: must be an extremely bitter man because Tom won't send him a free sub to play with.

Exact reason his advertorials (sorry, I meant reviews) need to be taken with a pinch of salt......

I did ask Sparechange if he'd review the PSA subwoofers and he said they aren't good enough for the channel. My man is brave lol.

It is mainly because Tom wouldn't send him one. Because the PSA subs blow anything away that he has had or will ever have.

Same thing with the monoprice htp-1 processor. They wont send him one so he says it isn't pretty enough to be in his rack. Even though it is a great prepro for the price.

A little OT but his "friend" that is on his live stream sometimes is the biggest idiot I have seen. I cant even watch anything that he is in.

Could be some sort of null. Move the sub somewhere else (middle of the room would do, it's just for the measurement, not for good) and measure again, see if it changes drastically.

Checking sub settings is probably easier, but moving is another option you have.

Moved it into the bay window flush against the wall - all sorted now with supercharged boundary gain and almost perfect sound curve! Bit of a dip at 55hz but Auydessy dealt with it

Just have to hope the wife doesn't notice 😜 might have to put some flowers on top and cross my fingers

Subs are like houses: location, location, location.

It's only moved 2m round the corner into the bay, the difference is amazing for such a small move

So here's a kind of experiment. Sit in your MLP and look at your sub's driver. Where your looking is direct sound. Now draw a line that bounces off a side wall, now two side walls, now the side wall and off the wall behind you; now the other wall, and the ceiling, and the floor... etc.

The point is that sound is 3d and there's a huge number of paths that the sound wave can take to get from the sub to your ears. Every reflection changes the wave's intensity (well, the distance does), and they all interact with each other at the listening position. If you look at a reflection point calculator there are literally hundreds of reflection points between you and the speakers or sub. Moving the sub a couple of feet changes all of those paths. Sometimes it'll improve things, sometimes it'll make things worse. Usually it'll make some frequencies better and some worse.

It'll also depend on whether you're in a square bay or an angled bay. My guess is if you stand in the bay the bass will be overwhelming, especially if it's square.

I'm glad you found a spot that works better though.

So here's a kind of experiment. Sit in your MLP and look at your sub's driver. Where your looking is direct sound. Now draw a line that bounces off a side wall, now two side walls, now the side wall and off the wall behind you; now the other wall, and the ceiling, and the floor... etc.

The point is that sound is 3d and there's a huge number of paths that the sound wave can take to get from the sub to your ears. Every reflection changes the wave's intensity (well, the distance does), and they all interact with each other at the listening position. If you look at a reflection point calculator there are literally hundreds of reflection points between you and the speakers or sub. Moving the sub a couple of feet changes all of those paths. Sometimes it'll improve things, sometimes it'll make things worse. Usually it'll make some frequencies better and some worse.

It'll also depend on whether you're in a square bay or an angled bay. My guess is if you stand in the bay the bass will be overwhelming, especially if it's square.

I'm glad you found a spot that works better though.

Pure physics is a wondrous thing. Cheers Conrad

P. S. Wife didn't bat an eyelid, and stepson asked why the subwoofer had moved - showed him the before and after graphs on the MultiEQ app, we have another convert 😉

Last edited:
What's the advantage of turning the subsonic filter off? I take it this is an option in the subs menu right?

What's the advantage of turning the subsonic filter off? I take it this is an option in the subs menu right?

If you don’t like it you can turn it off, subsonic levels aren’t for everyone.

By turning subsonic filter off (it's actually set off as default basically in any setup) you let your subwoofer play as low frequencies as it's able to produce.

So it's just a high pass filter.

Hmm I may have to give this a go happy with the sub at the moment only got 1 though seems to shake the shit out of the sofa atm maybe something to play with if I ever got 2.

Note that one reason to leave the subsonic filter on is that it leaves more headroom for frequencies above this filter. I'm actually considering applying a high-pass filter on my PSA sub for this reason, set at something like 15 Hz probably.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom