Question Around £10,000 budget for a set of hi-fi, what would you get?

ricecooker

Established Member
Reaction score
Would really love to hear what you guys would get for around £10,000 for a complete system. All my music is digital and would like to stream from Tidal/Quboz. My room is around 6m by 3.3m and the speakers will be placed on the longer wall so sitting distance around 3m probably. I like full bodied warmer sound rather than thin and analytical. Only looking for floorstanders purely because of aesthetic. Budget is slightly flexible so if you think by spending a bit more (or less) you would gain much more. So here's my choice so far..

Focal Kanta No2
Naim Uniti Nova

The focals was recommended on the Naim product page, and looking at reviews it seems to be a good listen and easy setup.

I would definitely be demoing Lyngdorf with that kind of budget. Maybe the Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 -£2795 paired with Cambridge Audio Azur 851N Network Player £1299. Speakers are down to what you like but that would leave you a healthy budget of over £5.4k for speakers.
Having a totally digital system I would also seriously consider ROON. You could allocate some of that £5.4k for a Roon Nucleus $1300 and $700 for a lifetime subscription.
That would leave around £3,5k for speakers which is still a healthy budget.

I'll have to be purchasing based on reviews/videos as I won't be able to audition. I have never heard of ROON, I will definitely check it out. Thank you!

Dynaudio Evoke 50, Naim Supernait 3 and Naim ND5 XS2

Last year I auditioned the Naim Uniti Atom through to the Naim ND5 XS2/Supernait 3 combination.

The speakers used for the audition were £2.2K Neat SX1 and at each stage (Atom, Star, Nova, ND5 XS2/SN3) there was a noticeable step in performance.

The Focal Kanta 2 are undoubtably a fine pair of speakers, but I’m not convinced a Nova will get the best out of them. Ultimately an audition is the way to go.

Incidentally, Neat also supposed to work well with Naim electronics.

+1 for Lyngdorf - has the best room correction.

Thank you for your insight on the Naim range, would definitely look at the ND5 XS2/SN3 combo.

As for the Lyngdorf, unfortunately I don't see this selling on the websites that I plan on shopping with..

I am really not sure that you can effectively buy a £10k hifi over the internet, without demoing and be happy with hat you get. There are way too many variables. Also there are Lyngdorf dealers on here that you could probably arrange a home demo with. The one thing that I would say is that no matter what speakers you have, Lyngdorf Room Perfect will bring out the very best of them, no matter how imperfect your room is sonically.

As for the Lyngdorf, unfortunately I don't see this selling on the websites that I plan on shopping with..
I wouldn't let the tail wag the dog on this.

+1 for Lyngdorf. I would go for the TDAI-3400 as it has a network connection/streaming client/Roon 'endpoint' built in, add all the gubbins required to run Roon (save a bit of money there and install Roon Rock on an Intel NUC instead of their own Nucleus), then you have a healthy budget left over for speakers. I can personally recommend Dynaudio Special Forty plus 2* Lyngdorf BW-2!

@Rob Sinden is one of the people worth reaching out to for Lyngdorf. He is a great guy and can probably steer you in the right direction for a home demo if you are seriously interested. The Naim equipment is very good, but IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to the Lyngdorf, which is in a different league.

Why are you limiting yourself. There are plenty of sites out there and advertisers on here selling Lyngdorf. Assuming your based in the UK

Thank you guys, I was just so overwhelmed by the choices and combinations it's great for your insights. As I'll be switching from a headphone setup to a speaker setup, I would need to get the speakers first if I were to demo the Lyngdorf.

Why are you limiting yourself. There are plenty of sites out there and advertisers on here selling Lyngdorf. Assuming your based in the UK

Yes I'm based in the UK. It does sound a bit limiting after reading back to what I've said. I'm just concerned about the reliability of the other sites that I haven't heard or shopped before.

Where are you based so we can suggest dealers?

£10k buys a lot of choices and I'd be demoing. It's all personal but the kit you are talking about, to my ears, is not full-bodied and warmer sounding.
Your room will have its own quirks and a home dem would be well worth the investment.

I've heard some Lygndorf kit and it's good, well worth a listen (and it sorts the streaming part out too).

But you've got so much choice at this level that it's going to be difficult to recommend.

You could go for some Italian stuff valve preamps with power amps into Sonus fabers, you could go the muscle type route with Bryston, sim audio, Krell. The french route like Lavardin.
The British stuff ranges from the Naims, Linns etc to Sugden, Sonneteer, Rega.
The Scandinavian stuff e.g Copland,
Masses of choice

So much or you could try the Valve route as I have.

For that sort of cash I'd be deming an Audion 300b integrated, with my Heco Direkt, and adding a DAC/Streamer of some sort - e.g an Auralic Altair G1

But for others that would be their last choice!

Where are you based so we can suggest dealers?

£10k buys a lot of choices and I'd be demoing. It's all personal but the kit you are talking about, to my ears, is not full-bodied and warmer sounding.
Your room will have its own quirks and a home dem would be well worth the investment.

I've heard some Lygndorf kit and it's good, well worth a listen (and it sorts the streaming part out too).

But you've got so much choice at this level that it's going to be difficult to recommend.

You could go for some Italian stuff valve preamps with power amps into Sonus fabers, you could go the muscle type route with Bryston, sim audio, Krell. The french route like Lavardin.
The British stuff ranges from the Naims, Linns etc to Sugden, Sonneteer, Rega.
The Scandinavian stuff e.g Copland,
Masses of choice

So much or you could try the Valve route as I have.

For that sort of cash I'd be deming an Audion 300b integrated, with my Heco Direkt, and adding a DAC/Streamer of some sort - e.g an Auralic Altair G1

But for others that would be their last choice!

I'm based in the UK. Yes I am indeed overwhelmed by the choices! The thing about home demo is I'm just so worried about accepting the terms and conditions. Yes it is to protect the retailer, but I'm just too nervous putting down a 90% deposit and just worried sick I didn't check if it has any damages when it arrives at my house, and taking extra care to not damage it during. I just don't feel comfortable putting myself in this position. I understand sound is very subjective, but I have bought headphones and amps (Focal Utopia + Chord Hugo TT2 which I would trade it in) based on reviews and videos and I was happy with how it turned out based on the reviews.

Interesting, why would you say for others that combination would be their last choice?

I'm based in the UK. Yes I am indeed overwhelmed by the choices! The thing about home demo is I'm just so worried about accepting the terms and conditions. Yes it is to protect the retailer, but I'm just too nervous putting down a 90% deposit and just worried sick I didn't check if it has any damages when it arrives at my house, and taking extra care to not damage it during. I just don't feel comfortable putting myself in this position. I understand sound is very subjective, but I have bought headphones and amps (Focal Utopia + Chord Hugo TT2 which I would trade it in) based on reviews and videos and I was happy with how it turned out based on the reviews.

Interesting, why would you say for others that combination would be their last choice?

Most dealers won't charge you 90% - you can always pop to theirs get a demo and then do a home one if you like something particular to be completely sure you chosen the correct kit.

Many people don't like that valves impart some character on what's being played. That's not saying they all have the same characteristics, they don't. They can be everything from dull and boring to fast, dynamic and punchy. They aren't as fit and forget. Speaker matching is more important. But if you like what they can do for the sound (as I obviously do) it can be difficult to go back to a solid-state amp.

If you are based in the UK and own have a pair of speakers, you can try the Lyngdorf at home via our Try at home, trial option. Do have a read on the Lyngdorf thread which is quite an active one on these forums. There are good points for and against with some of it competition mentioned to. Also take a look at this little youtube video, this is without the room eq setup to which gives you an idea the level of components it can sit with

With 10k to spend and your room I would be looking no at ZERO 1 XD - Avantgarde Acoustic Hornloudspeaker

You are getting perfectly matched amplifiers (active speakers), you do not have to spend on cables which can easily eat 1k of your budget if you buy many boxes requiring many connections and you are also getting build in matched and developed for this system DAC. All you need is a streamer and you are set.

I would certainly at least give them a listen. Their bigger brothers are one of the best speakers you will ever hear.

With 10k to spend and your room I would be looking no at ZERO 1 XD - Avantgarde Acoustic Hornloudspeaker

You are getting perfectly matched amplifiers (active speakers), you do not have to spend on cables which can easily eat 1k of your budget if you buy many boxes requiring many connections and you are also getting build in matched and developed for this system DAC. All you need is a streamer and you are set.

I would certainly at least give them a listen. Their bigger brothers are one of the best speakers you will ever hear.
Ohh nice shout. Haven't heard those ones but having heard the Uno XD, Avantgarde are officially on my 'lottery win list'

Another vote for Roon sub, really adds to the music experience. Plus consider a decent DAC in there, maybe Chord.

Ohh nice shout. Haven't heard those ones but having heard the Uno XD, Avantgarde are officially on my 'lottery win list'
I started my adult life audio journey from listening to Duo Omegas in controlled environment.

I had tears in my eyes. I was completely gobsmacked as I never realised that music reproduction can be so powerful emotionally.

Btw that was a bad idea to start a hobby this way :D. My budget ideas had to be quickly adjusted.

I started my adult life audio journey from listening to Duo Omegas in controlled environment.

I had tears in my eyes. I was completely gobsmacked as I never realised that music reproduction can be so powerful emotionally.

Btw that was a bad idea to start a hobby this way :D. My budget ideas had to be quickly adjusted.
LOL - that's quite a 'starter model'!

I’m sorry you are so nervous about home trials. Obviously what’s important is how the system will sound in your room not a dem room which only a home dem can establish.

Most dealers we work with do a home trial at no charge. Payment for the equipment is made in advance to avoid fraud, but if you decide against the system you get a full refund.

The most obvious benefit of the Lyngdorf TDAi3400 over any of the other amps available is RoomPerfect. This is easy to set up and is unique in preserving the sound of your speakers while removing the errors of your room. With this as your amp, you will hear any speakers you are considering as they were designed to sound rather than the way your room makes them sound.

FYI If it were me I’d go for a good pair of bookshelf speakers and a really good sub which is by far the cheapest way of achieving full range sound in your room. I’m sure you’ll find this gives much better performance than any floor standers at the money.

Another vote for a Lyngdorf 3400. I've found it to be superb driving my previous Spendor D7 speakers and excellent with my current ATC speakers. In my experience, Room Perfect room correction has proven to be the best in my room/system. :thumbsup:

That is actually very intriguing! Do you mean the ZERO TA XD, as it seems the ZERO 1 XD is the more expensive at 15k which is really stretching my budget.

Thank you very much guys for your all the comments. It seems the Lyngdorf TDAi3400 is getting a lot of praises and the room correction function is definitely a seller, I will definitely look into this. I have thought about bookshelves, but my wife insists (and I also concur) we get the floorstanding as it is just so beautiful and makes our lounge look that much more special.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom