ARTICLE: 50 Great Live Albums For Easing Yourself Back Into The World

If I’m in the right mood its hard to top Miles Davis Bitches Brew Live

Warning for the uninitiated - not background music!

Mind blowing next level playing from a jazz super group at the Isle of Wight in front of 600,000 hippies and a setting sun. Still sounds ahead of the times 50 years after the event.

Last edited:
One of the greatest live albums ever was Van Morrison's "It's Too Late To Stop Now". Any list omitting this cannot be taken seriously. Harsh but true.

But Van is such a miserable old git, that's why it was probably forgotten about.
Put him and Leonard Cohen in a room together and it would be a race to get to the valium first.

But Van is such a miserable old git, that's why it was probably forgotten about.
Put him and Leonard Cohen in a room together and it would be a race to get to the valium first.
Very true but surely it's the music that counts? Oh, and I wouldn't agree it's been forgotten about.

Lots of love for it here.

Last edited:
Stage is worth it just for that version of Breaking Glass. I remember recording that off the radio as a kid and listening to it over, and over, and over. (The "radio" was my dad's Revox B760 tuner... I'll never forget that either)

What does that say about me. I like the both of them.

No room for Alchemy by Dire Straits?

an example of all band members in perfect harmony with each other!

Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock, “Star spangled banner” was probably the most important live performance of all time.

I’d like to propose Level 42 - A Physical Presence as a superb live album.

One of the best live bands you can still see on tour.

Ed & Steve, how about Bowie's Glastonbury 2000? Granted it's a bit later on in his career, but nevertheless a great set.
Heads up, the BBC are playing the entire set on TV on Sunday, BBC2 at 21.30.

Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii (the 5.1 version released a couple of years ago is even more spectacular) is my all time favourite.
Kate Bush . Before the Dawn live, I'm surprised the most eagerly awaited and talked about set of concerts after 34 years of no live shows didn't make your list. It's sublime.

Good list, thank you. There's a lot for me to check out.

I know you already have U2 on it, I would also suggest Rattle and Hum.

Simple Minds - Live in the City of Light, great performances of Promised You A Miracle, Alive and Kicking and Don't You Forget About Me.

INXS - Live Baby Live - the band were on top form for this Wembley show.

This list has a big Prince-sized hole in it. The upcoming September release of the Sign O' The Times Super Deluxe box set is going to include a 1987 New Years Eve live show. I mention this because I believe it is the only time Prince was on stage with Miles Davis. The set will also include the studio track Can I Play With U? featuring Miles. There is an unreleased album Prince recorded with Miles that this track was from.

For now, I recommend the One Night Alone 2 disc set for the guitar solo on Anna Stesia alone and the One Night Alone... The Aftershow for the guitar solo on Joy In Repetition. These highlight how good a live musician Prince was.

My favourites

Zappa Roxy & Elsewhere
Ry Cooder Showtime
Wynton Marsalis Live at the Village Vanguard or House Of Tribes
B B King Live At Cook County Jail
Isaac Hayes Live at the Sahara Tahoe

Wishbone Ash - Live Dates? :)

Pearl Jam - Live at Benaroya Hall is probably my go to live album. It’s so exquisitely recorded in such a perfect venue, and hearing so many of their songs in a mostly acoustic manner is superb. I upgraded my hi-fi recently, and have thoroughly enjoyed listening to it again.

I’m lucky enough to have got it on vinyl from the fan club back in the day for something like £30 - cheapest one on discogs at the mo is over £2k

There are too many Joe Bonamassa live albums, however his Live At The Royal Albert Hall is I think worthy of this list.

Some great albums listed here - bringing back some fond memories!
My favourite live (double) album though has to be "Colosseum Live" from 1971 - it's prog/rock/jazz/blues for those that don't know them. In particular "Lost Angeles", with Dave Clemson's guitar solo, is outstanding. Just played it the other day on my old vinyl copy - only to find the gatefold sleeve starting to fall apart a bit, well it is getting on in years.

Looks like you have inspired Steve :D

Velvet Underground Live 1969.

For the true experience play the vinyl :)

Dire Straits - On the Night, picked up this CD yesterday for 50p. :)
You were overcharged by 49p. Where do you pick up these bargains, my local charity shops are full of Spice Girls and Daniel O'Donnell albums.

Tom Petty's Live Anthology followed by Dire Straits Alchemy for me.
Tom Petty's offering is a 4 cd box set of hgh quality recordings of awesome songs. When I put disc 1 on, I end up listening to all 4.

@Ed Selley - I was listening to Daft Punk - Alive today and have to agree it's amazing (to the extent I'm wondering if I can move my sub into the study) but when I went back to find this article to have a quick reread I noticed that it was logged under "Movies & TV" Articles and not HiFi which made it a bit harder to find.

If you want a blast then try Grand Funk Railroad Live. Its one the finest live albums of all time for twhom like their music raw and loud. All of the recordings are a bit rough but thats as it should be. I expect they were mind numblingly loud. But GFR weren't just heavy rockers they also played some more gentle stuff such as mean mistreater, Heartbreaker etc. Great stuff for those that way inclined. Just crank up the hifi very loud and loose yourself.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom