Article: Has OLED reached its peak?

Have to realize social media is a medium for anybody to voice their conspiracy theories. It really irritates me that OLEDs and many LEDs are so close to perfect that there are people that can actually appreciate and enjoy their TVs.

At the same time, there are real faults and issues with TVs and social media is a good platform to highlight them to other users.

For example, the 77 inch OLED CX banding in the CX OLED thread is quite indicative of a potential flaw or QA fail this year. 3 out of 4 77 inch OLED CX's having very bad banding, and the fourth not having the best of photos to make it out.

At the same time, there are real faults and issues with TVs and social media is a good platform to highlight them to other users.

For example, the 77 inch OLED CX banding in the CX OLED thread is quite indicative of a potential flaw or QA fail this year. 3 out of 4 77 inch OLED CX's having very bad banding, and the fourth not having the best of photos to make it out.
Agree that there are different levels of manufacturing quality. Often manufacturers can get so caught up in cutting corners to save money that the quality of their products suffer. There is a lot of good information on social media, but you have to use common sense to not get sucked into all the unwarranted conspiracy theories.
Many of the “experts” on the web just repeat what they have read with great conviction. They may not have an analytical bone in their body.

Last edited:
OLED might have reached its peak but LED-LCDs are going down in peak brightness (on accurate picture modes and on models 65 inches or below). Just look at the HDR/SDR peak brightness numbers on 2016/2017 top end LED-LCDs Vs. the 2020 ones. You will see how much it has gone down in numbers.

The biggest limit of OLED for me is that they don’t come in 27” Monitor Size with higher refresh rates to compete with other monitors.

That’s why the limit is there, even though response times are perfect for high RR - and thus I cannot wait for MicroLED which hopefully will not restrict screen size.

I enjoy a 77” OLED @ 120Hz,

but I would rather have a 27” OLED @ 240/480Hz.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom