Article: Top Ten Horror Films for Halloween

Nothing comes at night more like. Most pointless film I've ever seen.
Agree with the rest though.

No slashers, no House boxset, no Fright Night (85) or Night of the Demons 1 and 2! Visiting Hours also came out on UK Blu this year. Lady in White is also a great Halloween themed chiller.

For Halloween night it can only be a true Halloween flick imo so I'm gonna have my own little pre-Halloween movie weekend tonight/tomorrow and settle down to Children of the Corn, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) and The Fog (1980).

Thanks for highlighting Stranger Things btw @Steve Withers. I hadn't even heard of it but that really does sound right up my street. Shall definitely invest in a Netflix subscription and check it out..... even more so reading both series are in 4K/HDR!

I have been a huge fan of Asain films for long time May not be for everyone but the When it comes to horror there is something about those Asian horrors Japanese, Korean Thai, specially Japanese the atmosphere is something modern western horrors cant replicate. Heres a small list That comes to mind just to many to mention

The ring or ringu in Jap
Audition (JAP)
Three Extremes seriously disturbing this one. (kOREAN).
The Grudge (JAP)
Shutter (THAI)
R Point (Korean)
Dark Water (JAP)
Thirst (Korean)
The Eye (Singapore)

I have been a huge fan of Asain films for long time May not be for everyone but the When it comes to horror there is something about those Asian horrors Japanese, Korean Thai, specially Japanese the atmosphere is something modern western horrors cant replicate. Heres a small list That comes to mind just to many to mention

The ring or ringu in Jap
Audition (JAP)
The Grudge (JAP)
Shutter (THAI)
R Point (Korean)
Dark Water (JAP)
Thirst (Korean)
The Eye (Singapore)

I enjoyed R Point, and Audition was horrible, in a good way!

I enjoyed R Point, and Audition was horrible, in a good way!
R point is one of those horrors that needs to be watched purely for the atmospheric sound. I have only watched with DTS sound and it was amazing . HD audio is one that i need to experience

I have not watched many horrors in the last few years one just come to my head An Ethan Hawk Film Sinister these are the type of horrors i enjoy and with master audio soundtrack this one was really spooky

Whilst not my favourite of genres Arrow release of The Thing is indeed a must have , just started on second season of Stranger Things and big :thumbsup: from me.

I find my self saying this every year - Halloween isn't really just a time to pick anything 'horror'.

The atmosphere of Halloween is surely more about ghost stories, witches, and so on, than slasher films, or horror/sci-fi.

Films like The Thing, irrespective of their relative merits as horror films, don't really fit the bill for me, any more than West Side Story.

I'll be revisiting some old classics - The Shining, Halloween, Night of The Demon.

The ring or ringu in Jap
Audition (JAP)
The Grudge (JAP)
Shutter (THAI)
R Point (Korean)
Dark Water (JAP)
Thirst (Korean)
The Eye (Singapore)
Pluse (2001) is a great Tech themed horror flick, errie af and just came out on an amazing Arrow Blu.

My 2017 Halloween flick has got to be......

Alien Covenant.

Quite frankly its shocking and scary how one can make a total fudge up of a good/slightly scarey film.

I find my self saying this every year - Halloween isn't really just a time to pick anything 'horror'.

The atmosphere of Halloween is surely more about ghost stories, witches, and so on, than slasher films, or horror/sci-fi.

Films like The Thing, irrespective of their relative merits as horror films, don't really fit the bill for me, any more than West Side Story.

I’d agree - a film like the recent The Witch - Which im not sure I’d say I enjoyed but was actually very very unsettling might be the sort of film to watch

Life???? Seriously.
Appalling movie.

About as scary as a snail attacking me at full speed.

It can only be the greats for me for halloween with a supernatural twist...
Halloween
The exorcist
Fog
In the mouth of madness
The Thing (more Sci fi but the rerelease rocks)

Hope some members read the article as this is for 2017 cinema releases , Streaming releases and BD remastered films. So basically best of 2017 horror on all formats .

Oh and BTW Life is a serious dud ( bloody good UHD PQ ) and I'm seriously not scared by an alien piece of snot and worse scientists than Prometheus and Covenant combined.

Last edited:
If that's the case then "it " was good anything else horror wise at the cinema this yr was poor..

Pluse (2001) is a great Tech themed horror flick, errie af and just came out on an amazing Arrow Blu.
Yes seen that one one of many that Hollywood have badly remade.

I'm surprised The Autopsy of Jane Doe didn't make the list, best modern horror I've seen in years.
1-1.jpg

The Entity is the only film I've seen that's scary as a teen and still scary now.

The Babysitter on Netflix is worth a look, it's pretty funny.

The list is based on reviews that have been on AVForums this year, which does rather narrow down the options but there are some great suggestions here and I totally agree about The Autopsy of Jane Doe.

My 2017 Halloween flick has got to be......

An American Werewolf in London.. And the Thing, Both fantastic for all the right reasons...

If were are talking more recently then it would be

I am not a serial killer, again a simple film that once again has a twist and is enjoyable...

There is so many to choose from which others have already highlighted and I agree with.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom