ARTICLE: What is Mini LED?

Mini led seems verry promising but in the hands of more capable company......

You say that but it's TCL doing all the R&D.
Every year i go to IFA Berlin and that brand looks really low quality,TCL letters faling down from TVs,blurry picture(in compare to other similar tvs).
But you are right....they are pushing the tech....

Potentially interesting for PC displays, due to OLED's burn in issue, but it feels very stop gappy to me. MicroLED is the future for PC minitors, someday.

Frankly OLED is so good for home cinema needs (dark room) I'm struggling to see what improvement is really needed. It's already blindingly bright, the blacks are flawless, and LG are even pushing GSYNC in their latest TVs. It's the complete package, and they're getting cheaper all the time.

Mini LED... Not to be confused with RGB Mini LED

2O1GDLJ.png

Mini seems to be a good happy medium though suspect it could become to marketing tactic to still say full array but blend it with the whole consumer confusion over mini led/micro led and get an extra few bucks without actually producing a micro led panel.

Every year i go to IFA Berlin and that brand looks really low quality,TCL letters faling down from TVs,blurry picture(in compare to other similar tvs).
But you are right....they are pushing the tech....
Can't argue with that. TCL is a big player in the US, but it really needs to work on its branding in Europe.

Can't argue with that. TCL is a big player in the US, but it really needs to work on its branding in Europe.
Did you review that first mini led model?

@Steve Withers Do you think that other well known brands e.g. Panasonic and Sony, are not adopting mini-LED because it may impact the sale of their top end sets which are now all OLED?

Back in 2016, Sony's ZD9 FALD LCD had around 1,000 zones (on the 75"). However, since then Sony have adopted OLED for their high end models and they have not introduced any LCD with a similar spec to the ZD9. The situation is similar for Panasonic and their DX902 LCD.

Mini LED seems like a potent solution, yet TCL needs to fine-tune their backlight driving algorythm, also a Samsung-like Ultra Viewing Angle filter would be handy.
Or if they were selling this backlight tech to Samsung...

LG had a concept screen based on Mini-LED at CES on their stand with a 4,000nit peak brightness claim. It's in our video for those interested.

LG had a concept screen based on Mini-LED at CES on their stand with a 4,000nit peak brightness claim. It's in our video for those interested.

They need to evolve lcd panels because i dont think there is burn in solution on oleds and micro led is in a galaxy far far away.....

I'm sorry but isn't the display panel still an LCD? If so, aren't we still going to have the same issues?
Mini LED is just a lot more LED's but smaller Used as a backlight, right?
They really need to do away with the LCD panel.
So just a stop gap till proper real LED TV's then.

I'm sorry but isn't the display panel still an LCD? If so, aren't we still going to have the same issues?
Mini LED is just a lot more LED's but smaller Used as a backlight, right?
They really need to do away with the LCD panel.
So just a stop gap till proper real LED TV's then.
With soo many zones and good dimming algoritham you could got results so close to oleds in black that majority of users would not be able to tell diference.
And much higher peak brightnes on other part of spectrum.....
But i dont have to much faith in Chinese brand at this time....

Potentially interesting for PC displays, due to OLED's burn in issue, but it feels very stop gappy to me. MicroLED is the future for PC minitors, someday.

Frankly OLED is so good for home cinema needs (dark room) I'm struggling to see what improvement is really needed. It's already blindingly bright, the blacks are flawless, and LG are even pushing GSYNC in their latest TVs. It's the complete package, and they're getting cheaper all the time.
Though I do agree with what you have said you or the manufacturers have to also cater for the people that don't get on with OLED (me being one) Its the same with projectors especially DLP, remember the rainbow affect ? Some people would see it while others didn't. I can remember a lot of people complaining from headaches after watching DLP projector's.
So OLED for you may be perfect but its not for everyone.

Did you review that first mini led model?
No, we haven't seen anything from TCL yet.
@Steve Withers Do you think that other well known brands e.g. Panasonic and Sony, are not adopting mini-LED because it may impact the sale of their top end sets which are now all OLED? Back in 2016, Sony's ZD9 FALD LCD had around 1,000 zones (on the 75"). However, since then Sony have adopted OLED for their high end models and they have not introduced any LCD with a similar spec to the ZD9. The situation is similar for Panasonic and their DX902 LCD.
I don't know for sure, but those companies do seem to be downgrading their LCD models in favour of OLED at the moment. I also think that both companies are mere shadows of what they were back in 2016, neither is really innovating in the consumer TV space these days.

No, we haven't seen anything from TCL yet.

I don't know for sure, but those companies do seem to be downgrading their LCD models in favour of OLED at the moment. I also think that both companies are mere shadows of what they were back in 2016, neither is really innovating in the consumer TV space these days.
In the end could happen mass court case for burn in and then all of them will need to revisit their strategy....

Though I do agree with what you have said you or the manufacturers have to also cater for the people that don't get on with OLED (me being one) Its the same with projectors especially DLP, remember the rainbow affect ? Some people would see it while others didn't. I can remember a lot of people complaining from headaches after watching DLP projector's.
So OLED for you may be perfect but its not for everyone.

I'm curious, - what don't you like about OLED?

I'm curious, - what don't you like about OLED?
Never said I didn't like OLED, I think its great how TVs are getting better n better as technology advances but OLED doesn't work for me and probably thousands + more people. It hurts my eyes and causes headaches.
Prolonged exposure to blue light at night omitted by OLED has been linked to certain deteriorating eye-sight issues including macular degeneration. This is because virtually all visible blue light passes through the eye’s cornea and lens and reaches the retina where light-sensitive cells can be damaged.
This is why I had to move on my OLED tv and opt for a FALD tv, since then no issues at all (until I'm at my mates watching football on his OLED tv then it all comes back)

Never said I didn't like OLED, I think its great how TVs are getting better n better as technology advances but OLED doesn't work for me and probably thousands + more people. It hurts my eyes and causes headaches.
Prolonged exposure to blue light at night omitted by OLED has been linked to certain deteriorating eye-sight issues including macular degeneration. This is because virtually all visible blue light passes through the eye’s cornea and lens and reaches the retina where light-sensitive cells can be damaged.
This is why I had to move on my OLED tv and opt for a FALD tv, since then no issues at all (until I'm at my mates watching football on his OLED tv then it all comes back)
But OLED does not emit any more blue light than an LCD? (And if any display did have a blue tint that can be removed by calibration of the greyscale.)

But OLED does not emit any more blue light than an LCD? (And if any display did have a blue tint that can be removed by calibration of the greyscale.)
OLED doesn't work for me it gives me headaches. That's all I said, each to there own :cool:

I've never heard that before. Curious. I wonder how common it is.

Sounds pretty weird for me too. Almost like the people that complain about electomagnetic waves from household appliances making them sick. I’m sure it happens but not a common thing and not enough for anyone else to not buy an oled. That’s more a cost thing for me since I have a 75Z9D and to upgrade to a 77C9 or 77GX would be crazy expensive

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom