ARTICLE: What's new on Netflix UK for May 2020

Just wanted to give a shout out to the utterly brilliant Last Kingdom. Season 4 was released end of April so doesn't count under the whats new in May banner but it seems to go under the radar and I don't see much mentioned on it but with 36 episodes (I think) it's a defo binge watch in my opinion. I tend to binge a season on release in 3-4 nights! Can't wait for season 5!!!!!!

Looking forward to watching The Eddy. Chazelle's track record is pretty incredible already (First Man, Whiplash, La La Land).

Thanks @Andy Bassett , really useful to have a comprehensive list in one place. Any thoughts of doing other streaming services (clearly lower volumes for most of the rest, but still may be some interesting releases I'm not aware of on them)

Great list, it’s easy to miss decent programmes buried amongst all the dross on these streaming services.

One though, I can’t find Charmed on Netflix UK.

Just started Dead to Me Season 2. Loved the 1st season. Still like to visit Married with Children now and then, for obvious reasons.

Space Force next probably.

Thanks @Andy Bassett , really useful to have a comprehensive list in one place. Any thoughts of doing other streaming services (clearly lower volumes for most of the rest, but still may be some interesting releases I'm not aware of on them)

Hi ukcanuk, thanks for the feedback.
Yes, there will be similar rundowns for the other major streaming services with monthly updates planned.

Great list, it’s easy to miss decent programmes buried amongst all the dross on these streaming services.

One though, I can’t find Charmed on Netflix UK.

Hi Greg.
You're right, it looks like Charmed is not available on Netflix in the UK, Canada and Australia - it's been removed from the list. Thanks for picking that up.

Riverdale season 4 is already on Netflix in the UK.

Last edited:
White Lines looks like it's going to be a really good series, I'm looking forward to watching that next week.

May 2020 What's new? bit rates of 0.2020 Mbps lol

Looks like a fair few decent old films lined up! :)

I finished "Dead to me" last night, a great second series.

why is there no subtitled TV included ? So many great non English TV shows out there now.

why is there no subtitled TV included ? So many great non English TV shows out there now.
Hi DarkDogZA, thanks for your comment.
Into the Night is a Belgium produced multilingual series and listed under The Best of The Rest: Shows section but your point is well made and we'll look to include more international content going forward.

I can never watch subtitled programs. I end up just reading what's on screen, rewinding because it went to quick and not actually watching the program. Might as well read a book!!

I can never watch subtitled programs. I end up just reading what's on screen, rewinding because it went to quick and not actually watching the program. Might as well read a book!!
Same, I have reading problems also reading you may miss something going on with the action.
Although I did record a Italian series back in the 80s called something like La piovra The Power of the Octopus about the Mafia shown late on on Ch4 then Im sure the re ran the first series dubbed then series 2 and 3 dubbed.

It was tough intially to keep up with the subtitles and watch whats happening on the screen at the same time but I think like anything after sometime you can get grips with it. Glad I did, which opened me to other fantastic international series. As @DarkDogZA mentioned, would be great if you could include International series too @Andy Bassett. Cheers

For those who are requesting the inclusion of more international content, here's the official trailer for the Mexican series Control Z, which starts on Netflix UK on May 22nd. The article has been updated to include this too.

Over the years, I have found my viewing of content moving from 100% English to 50-50 in favour of subtitled content. I suspect the Danish version of "The Killing" was possibly the turning point where we adapted fully to being able to comfortably follow the narrative without it detracting from the overall viewing. Currently working from home for the last few weeks and we have been watching a lot of award winning Korean content.

Looking forward to watching The Eddy. Chazelle's track record is pretty incredible already (First Man, Whiplash, La La Land).

For some reason this was slated by the Sunday Times critic. I watched the first 10 mins and yes the singing was good. I will have to watch it on my own as I like jazz, but my wife hates it.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give a shout out to the utterly brilliant Last Kingdom. Season 4 was released end of April so doesn't count under the whats new in May banner but it seems to go under the radar and I don't see much mentioned on it but with 36 episodes (I think) it's a defo binge watch in my opinion. I tend to binge a season on release in 3-4 nights! Can't wait for season 5!!!!!!

Yes this series is brilliant. Better even than the Vikings. I had read all the books; final one of the series is released later this year. Although the TV series followed the books in seasons 1-3, season 4 diverged a little. However this doesn't matter to me as I regard both the TV series and the books as being very good in their own right, and I try not to compare. I am also waiting for season 5.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom