Asrock Vision 3D HTPC - Owners Thread

Bought mine for £610 from an Amazon seller (AML Computers in Wakefield) + £5 delivery. Arrived yesterday afternoon, so it took about 48 hours for delivery, which isn't bad. I see they've now pushed the price up to around £620, so £580 seems to be a good deal if you can get it!

I must admit this thing is a lot heavier (and smaller) than I imagined - looks awesome though, will fit in nicely with other AV gear. Can't wait to start setting this thing up once my Windows 7 licence arrives! :)

Edit: I see one seller on Amazon selling it for £9999.99! :laugh:

Last edited:
Anyone know how to get rid of the splashtop program that seems to have been preinstalled?
Just uninstall it - but make sure you run the uninst program thats in the Splashtop folder. That will remove the service that keeps displaying the annoying registration popups.

Alternatively, you can just disable the service itself.

Is there space to add a ssd into the ASRock as well as the existing hd?

Anyone managed to get the ASRock and PowerDVD to play Blu-rays at 24Hz?

For the life of me I can't get it to switch to 24Hz unless it's playing a 3D Bluray. The latest NVidia driver (260.81) has options to set the display to 25Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz etc, but no multiples of 24Hz unless it's for 3D?

Anyone managed to get the ASRock and PowerDVD to play Blu-rays at 24Hz?

For the life of me I can't get it to switch to 24Hz unless it's playing a 3D Bluray. The latest NVidia driver (260.81) has options to set the display to 25Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz etc, but no multiples of 24Hz unless it's for 3D?
I have 1080p 24Hz set as the display resolution :confused:

You are also on old Nvidia drivers, latest is 266.35 from 3D Vision, Vision 3D Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc., make sure you select Beta Zone on left.

I have 1080p 24Hz set as the display resolution :confused:

You are also on old Nvidia drivers, latest is 266.35 from 3D Vision, Vision 3D Series Manufacturing - ASRock Inc., make sure you select Beta Zone on left.
Thanks Jeff, will give those a try! :)

From your sig I see you're running XBMC - is that under Windows 7 (64-bit)? If so, I take it you can see an option in the Nvidia display properties for 24Hz?

From your sig I see you're running XBMC - is that under Windows 7 (64-bit)? If so, I take it you can see an option in the Nvidia display properties for 24Hz?
I use windows 7 (32 bit) with Nvidia display properties set to 24Hz for TMT5, XBMC then auto switches refresh rate for anything else.

Tried the beta drivers last night, not much improvement. I now get this horrible message on the bottom of the screen claiming that the 1920x1080x60Hz signal isn't 3D compatible.

Reverted back to the official drivers. What I *did* notice is that if I have 3D disabled in the NVidia control panel, I get the 24Hz option for 1920x1080p (native), but with it enabled I just get options for 60Hz, 50Hz and 30Hz. If I use 1080p with some lower resolution, I get back the 24Hz option.

Aaaaargh! So I have a choice of either 3D Bluray at 24Hz or 2D Bluray at 24Hz, but can't use both at the same time. Time to go yell at ASRock...

What I *did* notice is that if I have 3D disabled in the NVidia control panel, I get the 24Hz option for 1920x1080p (native), but with it enabled I just get options for 60Hz, 50Hz and 30Hz. If I use 1080p with some lower resolution, I get back the 24Hz option
That explains why I get the 24Hz option then.

Might be worth opening a separate Nvidia 3D settings thread as it will probably also affect the Nvidia PCI graphics cards.

Is the OEM version of PowerDVD 10 incompatible with AnyDVD HD? With the trial version of AnyDVD installed, all I get is "Unsupported disc in drive" errors. If I disable BR/DVD support in AnyDVD, then everything works fine.

I've just joined the club and bought myself a ASRock Vision 3D 156B BD for cheap.
Was contemplating a Llano based self build but at this price it was too good to pass up.

Last edited:
Fantastic price! Wish I'd gotten it for that - means I'd have some money left over to buy a proper copy of PowerDVD 11 rather than the bug-ridden OEM version. :-(

Has anybody had any problems getting dts-ma etc out of this? A customer has sent me one of these to finish setting up instead of buying a fully working htpc from me :) I'm glad to oblige and I've done everything he needs apart from dts-ma out. I just cant get my amp to register it.

when I insert a dts-ma bluray (I, Robot) the amp just says dts. switch machine to one of mine, play, its fine. Only difference is I use TMT5 and this has powerDVD Mark II Ultra installed. It didnt have the NVidia drives install which I've done and now it knows the hdmi sound can support the HD options where it previously didnt but I still cant get dts-ma bitstreaming to the amp. I've set powerdvd to pass through, the sound options in wondows are seto 5.1 and it shows all the hd formats and say hdcp is ok etc.

I'm stumped. I think I might stick tmt5 on and see if that works.

Couple of questions before I receive my unit:
1) has anyone here attached another drive into the unit? i'm thinking of adding an SSD and would like to keep the original 500GB HDD inside too. Is this easy to do?

2) Has anyone replaced the thermal compound on the heatsink to the GPU and CPU? I've seen some reviews that clearly show high temps and i would like to help reduce the heat by putting some IC Diamond 24 carat on. Has anyone been brave enough to do this and would you think it will be easy?

cheers

I'm stumped. I think I might stick tmt5 on and see if that works.
Can't help you on the DTS-MA front (I've still got ye olde non-HD amp), but let me know if you have any success with TMT5. I tried the trial version and it couldn't play back 3D Blurays properly with the latest (beta 266.35) nVidia drivers - it shoves the image into the top left corner of the screen :(

Apparently it will work with the older nVidia driver, but then it sometimes loses audio when waking from sleep.

I'll be installing tmt in the morning to see if its better than pd - we'll see :). Unless its not raining and then I'll be delivering leaflets. oh the joy :)

well installed tmt5 and it plays dts-ma without any problems from the same disk so it must be powerdvd :(

Have you tried 3D blurays under TMT5?

Hi Guys,

will this thing play 3d SBS full at the moment using a popcorn but that only does 3d sbs 50.

just got the jvc dla x3 so would be nice to out put 3d movie at 100%

steve

Anyone been having trouble ripping blurays via make mkv? DVDs seem fine, but recently a lot of blu rays won't rip for me. Looks like it's working, then says 0 saved, 1 failed at the end.

Finally worked out how to install the latest drivers from the Nvidia site on the 3D Vision :thumbsup:

FOR WIN7 32BIT

As I run a 32bit HTPC this is what I've run through to install the latest drivers.

1) Download drivers for GeForce GT 425M from Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

The current latest is 275.33 so download files is:

275.33-notebook-win7-winvista-32bit-international-whql.exe

2) Run the exe file to extract the files, it will then check system compatibility which will fail at this time.

Default install location is C:\NVIDIA

3) Go to directory C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\275.33\Vista\International\Display.Driver

4) Look for file nvmm.inf then copy & paste this file to create a copy within the directory named nvmm - Copy.inf, this is done to create a backup of the original files as next you need to edit this file.

53414-albums1829-picture9496.jpg

5) Open nvmm.inf with notepad.

In the section [Manufacturer]

There is a subsection [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTx86.6.0]

Add the following:

%NVIDIA_DEV.0DF0.01% = Section006, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF0&SUBSYS_90771B0A

Then under subsection [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTx86.6.1]

Add the following:

%NVIDIA_DEV.0DF0.01% = Section008, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF0&SUBSYS_90771B0A

All this is doing is adding the AsRock manufacturer code for the GT425M so the driver recognises it as a valid device.

6) You can either Save and Close the file like this or you can clean it up like I have done by removing all the unnecessary lines from these subsections

53414-albums1829-picture9497.jpg

I've done this so I can easily copy the [Manufacturer] section from the file nvmm.inf for 275.33 in the new nvmm.inf file for any future driver updates without having to remember the relevant lines.

I've attached a copy of my nvmm.inf

7) Run setup.exe from C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\275.33\Vista\International to install driver.

FOR WIN7 64BIT

I believe the procedure is nearly the same with just the editing of the nvmm.inf being slightly different, however as I run a 32bit HTPC I've not tested this.

1) Download drivers for GeForce GT 425M from Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

The current latest is 275.33 so download files is:

275.33-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

2) Run the exe file to extract the files, it will then check system compatibility which will fail at this time.

Default install location is C:\NVIDIA

3) Go to directory C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\275.33\Vista 64-bit\International\Display.Driver

4) Look for file nvmm.inf then copy & paste this file to create a copy within the directory named nvmm - Copy.inf, this is done to create a backup of the original files as next you need to edit this file.

5) Open nvmm.inf with notepad.
In the section [Manufacturer]

There is a subsection [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]

Add the following:

%NVIDIA_DEV.0DF0.01% = Section006, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF0&SUBSYS_90771B0A

Then under subsection [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1]

Add the following:

%NVIDIA_DEV.0DF0.01% = Section008, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DF0&SUBSYS_90771B0A

All this is doing is adding the AsRock manufacturer code for the GT425M so the driver recognises it as a valid device.

6) Save and Close the file.

7) Run setup.exe from C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\275.33\Vista 64-bit\International to install driver.

Attachments

• nvmm.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Thanks for that, will give it a whirl! :)

Hi Guys,

will this thing play 3d SBS full at the moment using a popcorn but that only does 3d sbs 50.

just got the jvc dla x3 so would be nice to out put 3d movie at 100%

steve
Don't quite understand your question - punctuation might help LOL.
But yes, the AsRock VisionD and JVC DLA x3 will do full 3D as in Bluray or full 1080p SBS mkv etc,. - I have both and it works very well.

Finally worked out how to install the latest drivers from the Nvidia site on the 3D Vision :thumbsup:

FOR WIN7 64BIT

I believe the procedure is nearly the same with just the editing of the nvmm.inf being slightly different, however as I run a 32bit HTPC I've not tested this.

Many thanks for the detective work!:clap:

I'm not sure if this is a red herring or not. But on my 64bit drivers there is no nvmm.inf BUT another file named nvpg.inf appears to contain similar information. When I get my cinema set up again (just moved house) I will check it out and report back...
Otherwise those with 64bit Win7 might care to check themselves.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom