Answered ATC scm11+(Roksan or Naim amps)?

Mario2018

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi avforums fans
Glad to be a new member. I want to set up a system with ATC scm 11, and need your kind help:
1. For classical orchestral/chamber music
2. Rm. size 1,000 to 1,500 cube ft
3. If possible, want to avoid bi-amps without significant influence on POWER + SOUND
4. Want to have products made in UK
5. Budget: GBP 5-8000
Options:
a) K3 integr. amp 140W (K3 power amp 140W)
b) M2 integr. 85 W (better sound quality but seems less powerful than k3 (M2 power amp 85W)
c) Blak integr. 150 W (flag ship)(no Blak power amp available)
Options (a) or (b) can biamp the ATC. If Roksan amps are not the best choice for classical music, how about naim supernait? Is it good to involve marantz cd players e.g. 8005 in the system
Many Thks
Rgds
Mario :)

Way over for what I can afford but I think you should include the Rega Osiris in your search. In an audition I preferred the Rega offerings against Naim at their respective price points.
www.rega.co.uk/osiris.html

As for the Marantz SA8005 it really is a fine disc spinner, for both redbook and SACD and it's DAC can really get the best out of the redbooks. For SACD it is superb. Or maybe consider the Marantz SA-14. I have a 8005 and love it.
Marantz UK | SA-14S1 Special Edition

If SACD is not a consideration then the Rega Isis is a powerful contender.
http://www.rega.co.uk/isis.html

Way over for what I can afford but I think you should include the Rega Osiris in your search. In an audition I preferred the Rega offerings against Naim at their respective price points.
www.rega.co.uk/osiris.html

As for the Marantz SA8005 it really is a fine disc spinner, for both redbook and SACD and it's DAC can really get the best out of the redbooks. For SACD it is superb. Or maybe consider the Marantz SA-14. I have a 8005 and love it.
Marantz UK | SA-14S1 Special Edition

If SACD is not a consideration then the Rega Isis is a powerful contender.
http://www.rega.co.uk/isis.html

Hi gibbsy
Thks for your prompt reply. Yes, Rega amps are great. I have got a demon on Elicit paired with ATC 11. Good sound but seems better for less power hungry speakers. I couldnt afford Orisis + Isis (flag ships), though I believe they would perform well, especially the Orisis is a duo mono design with elegant outlook but heavy in weight.
I got Marantz budget cd players in the past, warm and great sound. Hi-end Marantz products are made in Japan; would perform even better. Glad to share thoughts with you.
Mario:)

Hi gibbsy
Thks for your prompt reply. Yes, Rega amps are great. I have got a demon on Elicit paired with ATC 11. Good sound but seems better for less power hungry speakers. I couldnt afford Orisis + Isis (flag ships), though I believe they would perform well, especially the Orisis is a duo mono design with elegant outlook but heavy in weight.
I got Marantz budget cd players in the past, warm and great sound. Hi-end Marantz products are made in Japan; would perform even better. Glad to share thoughts with you.
Mario:)
What about ATC's own SIA2-150 MkII ?

ATC SIA2-150 MkII Integrated Amplifier

SIA2-150 - Stereo Integrated Amplifier | ATC Loudspeakers

That said the usual rule of thumb is to spend between 1.5-2 time the cost of the amp on the speakers. As the SCm11's retail at around £1300 then a £750 amp should do well. What does your budget include - speakers + amp + cd or just the amp ?

Hi Ugg
Speadkers + amp + cd. Thks :)

Sorry, I should have read your original post more thoroughly, I thought your budget was just for an amp and CD player. I know you're looking at UK built but lately I've been looking at the Simaudio Moon range and have read several reviews that acclaim them for orchestral works. The Simaudio that tickles my fancy is the headphone amp Moon 230had that will partner my Oppo PM1s.
340i X | Top Rated Integrated Stereo Amplifier | MOON - Simaudio

I've not got many classical works, well I've got one, The Planets. Only a redbook but the Marantz 8005 does deliver a very good production. Good instrument separation and soundstage, however I don't tend to listen to it on speakers via my Rega but just through the Oppos, I'm currently trying to get a good SACD of the works. Based on how the 8005 performs with good quality redbooks and SACD it is a very good unit and I would highly recommend it. The DAC on the 8005 is very good, typical Marantz sound quality and with it's two digital inputs will work well as a digital hub and may fill the need for another standalone DAC or amp with it's own onboard decoder.

Sorry, I should have read your original post more thoroughly, I thought your budget was just for an amp and CD player. I know you're looking at UK built but lately I've been looking at the Simaudio Moon range and have read several reviews that acclaim them for orchestral works. The Simaudio that tickles my fancy is the headphone amp Moon 230had that will partner my Oppo PM1s.
340i X | Top Rated Integrated Stereo Amplifier | MOON - Simaudio

I've not got many classical works, well I've got one, The Planets. Only a redbook but the Marantz 8005 does deliver a very good production. Good instrument separation and soundstage, however I don't tend to listen to it on speakers via my Rega but just through the Oppos, I'm currently trying to get a good SACD of the works. Based on how the 8005 performs with good quality redbooks and SACD it is a very good unit and I would highly recommend it. The DAC on the 8005 is very good, typical Marantz sound quality and with it's two digital inputs will work well as a digital hub and may fill the need for another standalone DAC or amp with it's own onboard decoder.

Sorry, gibbsy and you guys. My question is misleading. My budget GBP 8K includes the speaker, amp and cd player. Haven't got the chance to hear the moon. Some sales tend to pair moon with dynaudio speakers. Marantz high-end sacd players are made in Japan, and budget cd players are also reasonably good. I dont stick to have sacd simply because i have got too many cds. Besides marantz, a friend of mine told me esoteric sacd is great.:)

Hi I have the Hegel H190 intergrated amp running the Atc scm 11s it is a high powered amp and drives the Atcs easily thing with the Atcs they are very power hungry the dac in the Hegel is excellent also well worth auditioning .

Hi I have the Hegel H190 intergrated amp running the Atc scm 11s it is a high powered amp and drives the Atcs easily thing with the Atcs they are very power hungry the dac in the Hegel is excellent also well worth auditioning .

Thks, Andy :)

Hi Mario I own ATC scm 19v2 driving with Roksan Kandy k2 amp cd audiolab 8200.very musical and perfect match. Try also Caspian m2 little less power but mature sound against Kandy. Your question Kandy amp +Kandy power amp best matching not kandy+m2 power amp. I have try this things my self. Many amps i try with atc Krell S300i /krell 400xi/plinius9200/plinius hountaga. These all are very powerful but sound crap n dull. What music go with Roksan any of them Kandy/m2/blak.good day.

Hi Mario I own ATC scm 19v2 driving with Roksan Kandy k2 amp cd audiolab 8200.very musical and perfect match. Try also Caspian m2 little less power but mature sound against Kandy. Your question Kandy amp +Kandy power amp best matching not kandy+m2 power amp. I have try this things my self. Many amps i try with atc Krell S300i /krell 400xi/plinius9200/plinius hountaga. These all are very powerful but sound crap n dull. What music go with Roksan any of them Kandy/m2/blak.good day.

Hi Rap
Thanks for your kind advice. Yes, M2 is a classic. Roksan has updated Kandy to K3 and we are waiting for M3. Krell is powerful but seems not quite musical to me ar :)
Cheers
Louis:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom