Atmos Ceiling advice.

Clond

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all - may it be possible for some advice pleaze.
In a few months I start an extension which will allow me to fit ceiling atmos speakers.
I will be under the kids bedroom so I thought I would look for enclosures to restrain the travel of sound through the ceiling cavity.
Very little if at all around. So what do professionals do. The fire hood that is for building wouldn't be enough and if I make a soundbox out of wood to encase it do I still need a firehood or can I buy materials to put inside a box.
I would also look at taking a few db's out of the ceiling if there are any ideas of lining.

What would the professionals do?

Which is why I am here in the professional section.
What tiles are better - most on Amazon have mixed results. Do I fireproof and enclose. What materials are better etc:

You could have a read of threads like this one;

Thanks UFO - sorry for delay as I am only halfway through. Ok just reading but understanding and following every link takes time.
Floating ceiling and rubber mounts and special glue is the just so far.
I guess this section is fairly new so I need to hunt around the forums.
Appreciate the link.

Thanks UFO - sorry for delay as I am only halfway through. Ok just reading but understanding and following every link takes time.
Floating ceiling and rubber mounts and special glue is the just so far.
I guess this section is fairly new so I need to hunt around the forums.
Appreciate the link.
Your have to please your building inspector as well. Acoustic insulation will probably achieve the required u value, but something to bear in mind.

All 4 sides are ok - It's detached with one new wall to a passage, one to the garage and two outside walls.
Need to see how much drop height it needs. Concrete floor will probably help too.

Read the sound proofing section in avs forum. The boxes you are talking about can be made out of MDF, sob or ply lined with plasterboard. Screwed together etc. Green glue in between. But you need to read up on isolating and adding mass to the ceiling. It’s not straight forward. Lots of advice on there though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom