Atmos on Chromecast 2020

Balloonmoon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's too early to say but does anyone know if the new chromecast 2020 will be supporting Dolby Atmos on Netflix? I'm currently using a Firestick 4k and I'm pretty much limited to Jack Ryan and Carnival Row in Atmos as the Firestick no longer supports Netflix atmos content. This is a deal breaker for me actually buying it

I have the Chromecast ultra and after realising that it didn't support Atmos, after having built an Atmos system I did some further research.
It's a bit of a minefield and is not only dependent on the streaming hardware, but also the streaming service itself.

From reading, the conclusion was that Apple TV 4K is the best option if you want Atmos, and after buying one, I can confirm that I now get Atmos on Disney+, Netflix and Prime (I also have NowTV who charge you extra for 5.1 but don't support any content in Atmos!)

In answer to your question, I think it's too early to know with the new Chromecast, but that didn't stop me preordering one. I'm hoping that before it arrives, someone on the internet will confirm either way and I'll either cancel the order or keep it.

Thanks. Let me know how you get on with Atmos on your Chromecast when it arrives

It's saying it will be a couple of weeks but there are a few people that have them already, presumably in the US. There is a thread on Reddit where this subject is being discussed and apparently Netflix and Prime is confirmed as working in Atmos, but Disney+ is not, though hopefully that will change.

I stream through a xbox one for most services and Atmos comes through and is decoded in the AVR no problem

My new Chromecast arrived a couple of days ago. I can report that I am getting Atmos on Netflix. As I had read, not getting it on Disney and not had a chance to test on prime yet.
I've had a couple of connectivity issues with it but I think that may be a WiFi issue.
Seems to work well otherwise, the interface is not as slick as Apple TV but I guess that's to be expected. Once I've cabled it in properly and sorted the WiFi I'll give it more some more testing.

My Chromecast arrived yesterday and it does indeed support Atmos on Netflix. Pretty impressed with it tbf

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom