Question Atmos Receiver capable of Driving Active fronts and Passive surrounds

MarkyP68

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm kitting out a new cinema room at home, and was going to go the processor route but wondered if there was a cheaper option of using a receiver to drive 6 surround speakers speakers that I'm going to be putting in the room?

So, is there a receiver out there where I can connect my active 3 speakers to the pre-outs and use 6 channels of amplification to drive the 6 passive speakers (2 rear and 4 height) but process the sounds so that the right channels come out of the right speakers?

I hope this makes sense...

PS: Not really my first post had to re-register under new name as old email no longer valid!

Any AV receiver with pre outs should be able to facilitate what you want to do. You'd simply use the pre outs to connect the active speakers while still using the AV receiver speaker terminals to connect the passive speakers.

You'd still be restricted to the same number of channels though unless dealing with a 9 channel model that also has 11 channel processing.

The cheapest model currently available with a full set of 7.1 pre outs would be the DEnon AVRX3500 for about £500. You'd not be able to have more than 7 speakers in total with this model though and no more than just 2 Atmos speakers within a configuration.

If wanting 4 height speakers in a configuration then you'd need to be looking at at least a 9 channel model. THe Marantz SR6013 is probably your cheapest option at this point in time and this would set you back about £850.

Last edited:
Yes. Lot's of AVR's will be able to do this. Will you be using the system for music or just movies? What is your budget? Do you want room correction?

I will use it for music, probably connect a turntable to it and a streamer...

budget is probably around £1k, and probably want room EQ as I'll have two subs - well will have once I find another Paradigm Servo-15 to partner my existing one!

I would suggest a Marantz SR601x or SR701x for that use and budget. If you shop around you may get an outgoing model at a good discount. The Marantz will sound better than a Denon for music.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom