Question Audio issues between Samsung Q70 TV and Denon AVR (both HDMI ARC and optical)

EricinHongKong

Novice Member
Reaction score
I connected my Samsung Q70 TV to my Denon 1713 AVR to play audio over my loudspeaker system and have been experiencing random sound output issues for a while now: often it works great, and sometimes it just doesn't (typically after switching on the components).

Initially, I tried an HDMI ARC connection: the HDMI cable connects the Samsung HDMI 4 ARC with the Denon video out/ARC audio in, I switched on HDMI control for both TV and AVR and chose the right sound output and also deactivated Atmos on the TV. This often worked perfectly fine, but sometimes it just didn't requiring me to tinker around, eg unplugging the HDMI cable, unplugging all components, resetting all components, changing cables, etc to get it working again.

Frustratedly, I then connected an optical cable between TV and AVR assuming that the problem might be some unreliable HDMI ARC connectivity technology between Samsung TV and Denon AVR, but I am experiencing similar issues with the optical cable as well. Often it works, and sometimes it just doesn't.

I am beginning to wonder if there could be a hardware issue with either of these components or just a general incompatibility issue. The TV is very new and the AVR is rather old, though I never had sound issues with it in the previous setup with either HDMI or optical connections.

Before I go and buy a new AVR I was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar issue, and/or whether the Samsung TV (Q series) are known for faulty sound output? Or does anyone have any other helpful suggestions that I could try?

Hmm .. no one has any views on this?

Maybe rephrasing my question: if the audio signal from TV to AVR sometimes drops and appears inconsistent (both with HMDI ARC and Optical cable connections), is the problem more likely a faulty audio ouput of my new Samsung Q70 or an issue with audio input of my ageing Denon AVR receiver?

(I am just wary spending more money on an AVR and then still having the same issue.)

I have similar issues with a Samsung Q80R and a Marantz SR7011, very similar TV and recievers. My optical is OK but the ARC is driving me crazy, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. The TV troubleshootin check of the HDMI cable always reports that the cable is faulty, I am now on the fifth HDMI cable, all of which are OK with my Sharp TV and Onkyo amp in another room, no problems at all with ARC or anything else. Although the SR7011 and Q80 do not have eARC capability, the Q80 has an ATMOS compatibility settting and when disconnecting the HDMI cable displays a small box saying Atmos device disconnected and when connected it says Atmos device connected, occasionally the Amplifier switches to Atmos and works on Atmos content for several hours (or) days then suddenly for no reason the box saying Atmos device disconected appears and the ARC connection fails. It then takes a day of resetting all relevant settings on both TV and Amp, cable changing, switching on and off etc. Then suddenly it starts working again. If anybody has any ideas before I slash my wrists I would be grateful.

I have similar issues with a Samsung Q80R and a Marantz SR7011, very similar TV and recievers. My optical is OK but the ARC is driving me crazy, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. The TV troubleshootin check of the HDMI cable always reports that the cable is faulty, I am now on the fifth HDMI cable, all of which are OK with my Sharp TV and Onkyo amp in another room, no problems at all with ARC or anything else. Although the SR7011 and Q80 do not have eARC capability, the Q80 has an ATMOS compatibility settting and when disconnecting the HDMI cable displays a small box saying Atmos device disconnected and when connected it says Atmos device connected, occasionally the Amplifier switches to Atmos and works on Atmos content for several hours (or) days then suddenly for no reason the box saying Atmos device disconected appears and the ARC connection fails. It then takes a day of resetting all relevant settings on both TV and Amp, cable changing, switching on and off etc. Then suddenly it starts working again. If anybody has any ideas before I slash my wrists I would be grateful.
In addition I would say that as the Marantz worked perfectly withe the Sharp TV for 3 years I suspect the Samsung Q80 TV to be the source of these problems.

Having read a number of related threads on the Samsung community forums, there seem to be a lot of people experiencing similar issues with HDMI connectivity (or sync) issues between Samsung TVs and AVRs. Maybe it's due to differences in the way Samsung TVs implemented the HDMI protocol compared to other brands AVRs (!?). I can only hope that future software updates will improve this situation.

I have been trying the following workaround for the past couple of weeks: Unplugging AVR and TV (respectively, disconnecting from the power source) over night, and turning the AVR on before the TV. (Note that I do not unplug the HDMI cables.) Somehow that seems to reset the HDMI handshake between the two components and it does the trick for me for now. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the reply, I did suspect the Samsung TV but thought that a ÂŁ3K TV from a highly respected major manufacturer would not have such a ludicrous failure. It seems simple enough for other manufacturers to implement a solid HDMI ARC connection for TV's at a quarter of the price. I was aware that the Q80 had no eARC capability but nobody in any review or discussion ever stated that ARC connectivity was rubbish. I knew I should have bought a TCL or Hisense! Hopefully Samsung will be shamed into a software fix, but I doubt it, and even if they do, I think I have bought my last (third) Samsung TV.

Having read a number of related threads on the Samsung community forums, there seem to be a lot of people experiencing similar issues with HDMI connectivity (or sync) issues between Samsung TVs and AVRs. Maybe it's due to differences in the way Samsung TVs implemented the HDMI protocol compared to other brands AVRs (!?). I can only hope that future software updates will improve this situation.

I have been trying the following workaround for the past couple of weeks: Unplugging AVR and TV (respectively, disconnecting from the power source) over night, and turning the AVR on before the TV. (Note that I do not unplug the HDMI cables.) Somehow that seems to reset the HDMI handshake between the two components and it does the trick for me for now. Fingers crossed!
OK I hve been ccontinuing to find a solution, the problem appears to be te HDMI bus is being held down by an external device, my solution was to disconnect all HDMI devices and carry out a factory reset of my SR7011, I think the Denon being the same manufacturer as Marantz will have a set up assistant if so when the question about using HDMI for ARC appears say NO, then next where all the input options are listed, choose (obviously) HDMI and then continue. When you have completed the reset make sure everything in the video/HDMI settings section is set to OFF ecxcept the ARC setting, in the input assign section make sure that the TV input has an X on the HDMI sector, turn OFF the Optical if it is selected, only the HDMI X should be on. On the TV ensure that Sound/Sound output - Reciever (HDMI) is selected, the General settings should have External device Manager/Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) selected and Input Signal plus selected for the ARC connector. It now works well even passing Metadata for ATMOS without poblems, I also did a factory reset of the Q80 TV. Apologies to Samsung for initially blaming them. I then reconnected all HDMI devices one at a time, my problem appears to be my HUMAX STB. Hope this helps.

OK I hve been ccontinuing to find a solution, the problem appears to be te HDMI bus is being held down by an external device, my solution was to disconnect all HDMI devices and carry out a factory reset of my SR7011, I think the Denon being the same manufacturer as Marantz will have a set up assistant if so when the question about using HDMI for ARC appears say NO, then next where all the input options are listed, choose (obviously) HDMI and then continue. When you have completed the reset make sure everything in the video/HDMI settings section is set to OFF ecxcept the ARC setting, in the input assign section make sure that the TV input has an X on the HDMI sector, turn OFF the Optical if it is selected, only the HDMI X should be on. On the TV ensure that Sound/Sound output - Reciever (HDMI) is selected, the General settings should have External device Manager/Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) selected and Input Signal plus selected for the ARC connector. It now works well even passing Metadata for ATMOS without poblems, I also did a factory reset of the Q80 TV. Apologies to Samsung for initially blaming them. I then reconnected all HDMI devices one at a time, my problem appears to be my HUMAX STB. Hope this helps.
Thank you, I've just started to have problems with My 65" Samsung Q80 it has been working fine for about 12 months then all of a sudden the HDMI ARC started working interrmitently.
I too have read the ongoing saga from 2017 over on the US Samsung Forums.
My Q80 is connected to a Yamaha YXA-3080 and I have reset it, and the Q80 several times, I have also tried multiple HDMI leads in many different combinations all to no avail, I have even tried using the 2nd and 3rd HDMi outs on the Yamaha in an attempt to get the Q80 to see an HDMI connection.
The power down the TV for 10 minutes solution has restored some HDMI PCM functionality but currently HDMI Dolby and Dolby + are not available to me.
I also have a Philips sync box in the mix but I have tried with and without the sync box in circuit and this does not appear to be affecting things and I have had the Sync box since before the Q80 and Yamaha RXA-3080 and all was working well before.
I also have a Humax Fox 2 HDR connected so I will disconnect this to investigate if this is affecting the HDMI Bus in any way.
I have also now retrieved an optical lead, which I may try, though I am loathe to use this as I will lose some functionality.
The Q80 is only connected to the Yamaha via the HDMI Port3 (ARC) on the One Box connected to the HDMI out port 1 on the Yamaha RXA-3080.
My Panasonic 4k Blu ray is connected to HDMI Port 1 on the the Yamaha, the Humax HDR in HDMI Port 2 of the Yamaha, my Roku is connected to HDMI Port4 on the Yamaha.
The Q80 is correctly controlling the Panasonic Blu-Ray via HDMI, it can also power the Yamaha amp on and off, the Humax will not respnd via HDMI from the Q80 and nor will the Roku at present.
I am also getting occaisional HDCP protection errors via the Roku.
The Roku is the newest device attached having replaced a 4k Firestick, about 3 months ago, which started to fail to respond properly until it was rebooted (it has been fine since it was connected to another TV). The firestick would startup, we could browse, and watch trailers but the sound would fail on programs until it was restarted, could this have been HDCP?
I have a Q70 connected to a Yamaha RXV 681 with a Roku, Samsung 4k Blu-Ray, and Humax (non-HDR) in another room and do not have these issues.
Having typed all this out I am suspecting the Humax units as the culprit, we hardly use these now so may retire them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom