Question Audiolab 8000A Needs More Power For New B&W DM605 S2 Speakers??

nerb

Novice Member
Reaction score
I love my old Audiolab 8000A. I am a vinyl fan and love the MC phono section. We will never part, especially as I put it through open heart surgery to replace it's power capacitors. Nearly lost it but it's not ready to give up just yet.

Armed with it's new power and rejuvenated energy it's enslaved a beautiful pair of Bowers and Wilkins DM605 S2 active subwoofer speakers. O.M.G!... but they really need more power than old 8000A can give them, it needs a little more "ooomph!" to satisfy these babies me thinks.

The plan: Power amplification from the current 60W to around 150W (ish) using the 8000A as pre-amp while still retaining a bi-wiring function because I wish to use the good cable I have.

options so far:
8000A>stereo power amp (with A+B outlets) (8000P)
8000A>2 X stereo power amps
8000A>4Xmono power amps
other?

I also seem to remember reading something about working on the 8000A to use just the pre amp section. Anyone?

All help and experience greatfully accepted. Budget, perhaps £300+

Nerb

I can't believe nobody has any ideas.

Anyone?
Not sure what other ideas you're looking for as you've pretty much covered all the bases. The issue is the budget is a bit thin for what you want to do, so you're probably limited to "Pro" amps. A pair of these, one driving each speaker, from the Audiolabs pre-outs should give you your desired power while retaining the characteristics of the Audiolab. Although you could start with one & see how you get on without bi-wiring, just double up the cable.

I would say 4 mono blocks would be a waste, 2 would be good.

As 2 stereo power amps unless bridged.

I like used power amps as they lose good money in the short term, hold value in long term and are generally reliable.

Given the age of the 8000 range, the prices are likely to be the same now as they were a year ago and will be in a years time. With that in mind and given your budget, I would start by buying an 8000p and take it form there. I know the 8000A was marketed with bi-amping with an 8000p as an option but I've read that some found they had better results using the 8000A as a pre and the 8000P as power rather than bi-amping but you could of course try both.

If you can get a pair of monoblocks for your budget then better still.

I’d go straight for as powerful and current happy a stereo power amp as your budget will reach to.

The 8000p is a solid amp, much better suited to ugly speaker loads than the A.

But you needn’t stick to Audiolab.

This, for instance, will easily control your speakers.

Nad C270 Power Amplifier | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom